The Student Room Group

Drama and theatre studies applicants 2016 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cytja_0288
Want to hear a story?

I first got involved with theatre when I was 12 years old, and that was when I fell in love with the performing arts. I was both a techie (short for technical) and an actress when I was in high school, and had to do a lot of growing up in order to get the supporting roles I auditioned for.

I knew I wanted to be an actor once I got to college, but after I transferred from a smaller community college to a large public university, I was troubled by the competition and intensity. So, I switched majors, and I later on regretted it deeply because it wasn't what I really wanted and I just wasn't getting it. I ended up returning to theatre for the last two semesters of college (while being involved with a theatrical troupe on the side), and knew it was the one thing that could make me happy.

The sad part is after I graduated four years ago, I still regret my decision to switch majors and not get the assistance I wanted to get into acting. And on top of that, I was unable to find a job in the arts for four years because I was scared and unsure where to go after graduation.

The point is that I'm very passionate about theatre; it helped save my life so many times (and that's another story), and I would be lost without it. If you have the passion and the stamina, go for it! Don't let anything stop you! I honestly haven't been in theatre for four years, but I have the determination and passion to go back to school to do the one thing that makes me happiest, and that's half the battle right there.

As many of your peers suggested, go to acting classes/workshops, theatrical performances, and get involved with community theatre to get your feet wet. Do whatever it takes to reach your dream.

You guys are right. And I do have a little experience with it. A few classes in improv and meisner technique. But I haven't had the chance for any roles. Only always been tech or chorus. :'{ But I am gonna try my best! Which I am so excited to do. AHHH! I can't wait.

I like coming on here because it keeps my "eyes on the prize" so to speak.
I'm in a similar situation, I've done improvisations and drama exercises, but have never really had any roles, though I will try to be in some amateur plays this year.
However I sincerely hope that they look for people who are eager to learn and who have potential to be trained, and not for people who basically already have a career. :smile:
You will be surprised how many people don't have loads of acting experience, I myself have very little. They are not looking for trained actors, they want people who they can train. Or so I'm told! 😉

Just out of interest, does anyone know if I'm allowed a chair to do my monologue with?
Original post by Samrivers
You will be surprised how many people don't have loads of acting experience, I myself have very little. They are not looking for trained actors, they want people who they can train. Or so I'm told! 😉

Just out of interest, does anyone know if I'm allowed a chair to do my monologue with?

LAMDA and Arts Ed have allowed me chairs in the past :smile: never been refused.
Original post by streether
LAMDA and Arts Ed have allowed me chairs in the past :smile: never been refused.

Great stuff! Thanks :smile:
Lamda opened it's applications! In case you didn't already know.
Reply 186
Original post by Samrivers

Yes, they will allow a chair. Don't use any other props though.
Reply 187
Not auditioning this year, just wishing everyone the best and have fun!

I'm from the US, hoping to do auditions next year or the year after. I'm really excited ^- ^.
Can anyone advise me on what to do in order to stop thinking about the lines when performing ? Thanks.
@Saadar have you auditioned before? How is it? I am also auditioning from the US.

@ThanosTsar you may need to be more familiar with your lines.
Original post by ThanosTsar
Can anyone advise me on what to do in order to stop thinking about the lines when performing ? Thanks.

I used to have this problem. Firstly, the most obvious solution, don't even bother going in the room unless you know your lines completely inside out.
Second, obsessing over lines is just a form of nervousness - it's one of the biggest things that can go indisputably wrong. Realise that nervousness is optional. It's in your head, decide to not be nervous. I have a rule - I don't go over my lines from the moment I walk in the door of the school. It stops me from worrying, and I therefore perform better. I know it sounds cliche, but if you don't know them before walking in the door, going over the lines just before the audition isn't going to learn them for you, and even if it does help, it wouldn't do nearly as much as it would need to. Thinking about your lines and being nervous will only ever have a negative effect, and the only reason you're letting yourself be nervous is because you think you'll do badly, but being nervous only fuels that. So don't be nervous. Don't go over your lines. TRUST YOU KNOW THEM. If you don't, you'll probably forget them. I've been there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 191
Just wondering if your grades play any part in being accepted into Drama school?
Reply 192
Original post by izziiha
Just wondering if your grades play any part in being accepted into Drama school?

I think it varies place to place.some wont take you BUT as someone with NO qualifications (but academically able....long story) I've got most that do have requirements to say they will offer me 'non-standard' entry, but that is exceptional circumstances. Most however don't have ANY pre-requisite so you'll be fine even if you have all Fs :P x
Reply 193
Ah! Thank you. I mean I'm not worried about my grades but my friend is predicted pretty low and is stressing about that and drama school. You're mega helpful :biggrin:
Reply 194
Original post by ThanosTsar

For me I learn the lines so much I'm not think about lines anymore - they come out as a natural instinct and I don't even need to think about it and they just are. You need to trust yourself and that you know your lines. It is also better to think emotion-relating thoughts instead of the lines; thus giving a more authentic performance.
Reply 195
Just wondering also if anyone has sent out their applications? I've sent all of mine apart from RADA (not open yet). They can't send me audition dates yet because I'm mega early ahaha. Keeno.
If any of you need a hand with your personal statements I'd be up to read them and proof them or whatever or give advice :biggrin:
Original post by izziiha
Just wondering also if anyone has sent out their applications? I've sent all of mine apart from RADA (not open yet). They can't send me audition dates yet because I'm mega early ahaha. Keeno.
If any of you need a hand with your personal statements I'd be up to read them and proof them or whatever or give advice :biggrin:

I could I have used you a few weeks ago. Still think my essay isnt very good. :/ I want a drama school audition buddy.
Reply 197
Original post by dropdeadthespian
@Saadar have you auditioned before? How is it? I am also auditioning from the US.

Nope, I haven't auditioned before. I graduated last year and decided to take a gap year to work and figure out what I wanted to do. I honestly, just started seriously getting into acting about a month ago. I would like to audition, but I just have nothing prepared and think it's smarter for me to go for it a different year. haha

What schools are you interested in? Are you auditioning this year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by dropdeadthespian
I could I have used you a few weeks ago. Still think my essay isnt very good. :/ I want a drama school audition buddy.

I'll be your buddy. You can still send me your essay if you want? We'll get through this shiz together <3
Where are you applying?
Reply 199
Original post by izziiha

Depends on the school. Do your research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending