The Student Room Group

Second UG degree

I'm going to do Astrophysics at uni this year but I really wanted to do Theatre.

Is doing a second UG degree, so I have the chance to do Theatre, a good idea? It's just that for so long I love to do acting, and I still do, so I really wanted to do something more with that as well as astrophysics.
Original post by Nyanomii•にゃのみい
I'm going to do Astrophysics at uni this year but I really wanted to do Theatre.

Is doing a second UG degree, so I have the chance to do Theatre, a good idea? It's just that for so long I love to do acting, and I still do, so I really wanted to do something more with that as well as astrophysics.

It's not a great idea. Student finance won't fund a second degree so you'll have to pay it yourself, which most people can't afford. But even if you could, why? Unless you're just dying to do both degrees, it makes very little sense. And it sounds like you don't really want to do astrophysics in the first place, so why not do theatre?
I vaguely remember reading that there is a thing where student finance will fund a second degree only if it is a STEM degree.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies I think it is on this page under the "if you already have a degree" section - but I didn't read all of it.

I could be wrong though.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by StevenWong1
I vaguely remember reading that there is a thing where student finance will fund a second degree only if it is a STEM degree.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies I think it is on this page under the "if you already have a degree" section - but I didn't read all of it.

I could be wrong though.

thats correct.

OP - why not look for opportunities to be involved in drama at university? You don't have to be on a drama course to join societies.
Original post by ajj2000
thats correct.

OP - why not look for opportunities to be involved in drama at university? You don't have to be on a drama course to join societies.

I agree with this. Acting isn't something you need a degree for - more so experience doing. I would imagine that there are drama societies or theatre groups either within uni or outside.
Original post by Scotland Yard
It's not a great idea. Student finance won't fund a second degree so you'll have to pay it yourself, which most people can't afford. But even if you could, why? Unless you're just dying to do both degrees, it makes very little sense. And it sounds like you don't really want to do astrophysics in the first place, so why not do theatre?

Firstly, I do really wanna do astrophysics. That's why I chose to apply for it in my application. I was just thinking since theatre is another thing I have intrest in.
Secondly, about having to fund myself, fair enough.
Original post by ajj2000
thats correct.

Thank you for reminding. I forgot societies were a thing.
I've just remembered reading about a drama society that my top uni has.
Original post by Nyanomii•にゃのみい
Thank you for reminding. I forgot societies were a thing.
I've just remembered reading about a drama society that my top uni has.

My son is in the theatre soc at his uni and it is very active. They put on three productions a term and the standard is fantastic. The students involved are studying a wide range of courses and most of his friends are from the group. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending