The Student Room Group

Running out of money

Hi,

I'm from Northern Ireland and I live in the South of England since September. I get about £400 a month to live on which is fine but my university has given me a lot of charges that I didn't expect to get e.g. lab coats and books that we didn't know about so i'm starting to run out of money.

My accommodation is paid now but I don't have any money left to live on. I am getting paid at the end of the month and I am going home this week. Only problem is I still have a week to live with this budget.

I only have £5 left. It's a very expensive campus I live on, today I bought curry/noodle and a bun and that came to £5, if you think that is expensive ONE burger is £3.50! During the past week I have spent £50 on dinners. Yes I know that was a silly mistake and I will NOT do that again.

I expected everything to be cheap as it is a university but it is not. Tonight I went out and spent £15 on food, I have cereal etc but I don't see this lasting to Friday. Even if it does I need money for a taxi to the train station and money for the laundrette.

I am tired of asking my mother for money, she has spent about £800 on me and she can barely afford that. My father makes an EXTREMELY comfortable salary each year (on a pension) and he will not give me a penny, he thinks that paying half the shopping on the first week was enough. He has zero sympathy for me and keeps telling me that i'm buying expensive stuff, I have tried to budget my money and I have tried to get cheaper stuff but EVERYTHING is a rip off.

I don't really know what to do, I've never been in this situation in my life. My father won't give me any money and I need to pay for the taxi to get home. I don't know where he thinks i'm going to get the money from. He has quite a bit of money so giving me £30 or even £20 won't even make a dent on him.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you have a student bank account?
Original post by Frostyjoe
Hi,

I'm from Northern Ireland and I live in the South of England since September. I get about £400 a month to live on which is fine but my university has given me a lot of charges that I didn't expect to get e.g. lab coats and books that we didn't know about so i'm starting to run out of money.

My accommodation is paid now but I don't have any money left to live on. I am getting paid at the end of the month and I am going home this week. Only problem is I still have a week to live with this budget.

I only have £5 left. It's a very expensive campus I live on, today I bought curry/noodle and a bun and that came to £5, if you think that is expensive ONE burger is £3.50! During the past week I have spent £50 on dinners. Yes I know that was a silly mistake and I will NOT do that again.

I expected everything to be cheap as it is a university but it is not. Tonight I went out and spent £15 on food, I have cereal etc but I don't see this lasting to Friday. Even if it does I need money for a taxi to the train station and money for the laundrette.

I am tired of asking my mother for money, she has spent about £800 on me and she can barely afford that. My father makes £70,000 a year (on a pension) and he will not give me a penny, he thinks that paying half the shopping on the first week was enough. He has zero sympathy for me and keeps telling me that i'm buying expensive stuff, I have tried to budget my money and I have tried to get cheaper stuff but EVERYTHING is a rip off.

I don't really know what to do, I've never been in this situation in my life. My father won't give me any money and I need to pay for the taxi to get home. I don't know where he thinks i'm going to get the money from.

Do you have any bargain shops about like home bargains or aldi or lidl or iceland? it would certainly be a challenge to stretch it but definetly dont go buying any for cafes/takeaways anything from now on if you can help it for sure, they really aren't student budget friendly.
Reply 3
Yeah, it's been a learning curve! I was stupid thinking university shops would be cheap.
Yeah, it's been a learning curve! I was stupid thinking university shops would be cheap.

what are your cooking skills like? the less you eat out the cheaper it ll get really
Reply 5
you guys think you have money problems let me tell you abou tmy situation. im about 100 over my overdraft LIMIT! thats 1350 debt, then credit card is 400 debt and I have disciplinary fines of 450 which i cannot not afford, Im skink i have no money!
£30 a week for food is the most I needed and I ate a lot. Usually spent closer to £20 unless i decided to eat out.

This is all down to your money management skills.
Reply 7
Well I find it hard to cope with £30 a week. I live in a studio flat so I have to buy all the shopping.

I know people are saying to me about money management but you've got to understand that I've got charged for things that I did not expect to get.
Reply 8
Original post by Zzzyax
you guys think you have money problems let me tell you abou tmy situation. im about 100 over my overdraft LIMIT! thats 1350 debt, then credit card is 400 debt and I have disciplinary fines of 450 which i cannot not afford, Im skink i have no money!

That's terrible. I don't know how i'd cope if I were you.

I think these universities expect us to get money out of nowhere.
Well I find it hard to cope with £30 a week. I live in a studio flat so I have to buy all the shopping.

I know people are saying to me about money management but you've got to understand that I've got charged for things that I did not expect to get.

If you had read up on your course or talked to previous students you would have known anything extra you needed to buy.

And £30 a week on food is easy. Unless you eat out all the time which you must since you spent £50.......
It's rare for me to spend anything more than £20 a week on food. More if I'm being lazy and fancy a takeaway.
we feed the two of us on £40 or less a week, its all about meal planning and buying anything you can in bulk. For example if you see something that is a cupboard stable on offer, buy it there and then if you've got the space.
Reply 12
The problem is that I don't have an oven (just a hob), if I had an oven then I could cook pizza and chips in bulk etc.
Reply 13
The problem is that I don't have an oven (just a hob), if I had an oven then I could cook pizza and chips in bulk etc.

Microwave? Kettle?

In desperate times I usually fall back on the 8p Tesco noodles.
Reply 14
My mum transferred some money after some desperate pleas.
Reply 15
All supermarkets sell 1kg bags of rice for 40p. A pack of 10 noodles is around £4 in Farmfoods and B&M stores. A small whole frozen chicken is £3. There are freezer bags of chops for £5.

Attend your uni's money management workshop and follow a basic cook book. Put off that trip home as you cannot afford it. You really are spending a ridiculous amount as a student.
I managed to eat 3 substantial meals a day (dinner even had meat, and lunch/breakfast sometimes even had bacon or sausages) by shopping at Lidl; everything came up to 10-15 quid a week.

Also, don't buy premade/packaged food from supermarkets, and never eat out. Buy food which has been reduced. Keep food which you cannot finish for later.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Really? Well, I can tell you with honesty that the university store is really, really expensive. They don't even have multipacks of anything either so it's very hard to do that.

As an example, they charge £3 for 3 peppers and they also charge £3 for a small jar of thai curry. When I went to the campus café I was charged £8 for Chips/Corn/Donout and a small drink.

Again, not massively expensive but quite a rip off in my opinion. I would find it hard to do £30 a week if I had to buy my shopping each week, I go to the laundrette each week and it is £5 and also the gym at £3 each time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Really? Well, I can tell you with honesty that the university store is really, really expensive. They don't even have multipacks of anything either so it's very hard to do that.

As an example, they charge £3 for 3 peppers and they also charge £3 for a small jar of thai curry. When I went to the campus café I was charged £8 for Chips/Corn/Donout and a small drink.

Again, not massively expensive but quite a rip off in my opinion. I would find it hard to do £30 a week if I had to buy my shopping each week, I go to the laundrette each week and it is £5 and also the gym at £3 each time.

Do tesco/asda/sainsburys and the like not deliver at all in your area?
That's harsh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending