The Student Room Group

Sinister sausage - will you still eat processed meat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Very good post - people mock the "eh, everything causes cancer these days" approach but frankly you'll be able to find research linking most things with an increased risk of some sort of cancer. That the risk is increased isn't what you should be looking at, it's what the risk is increased to and whether that's a significant risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

at least here its a significant risk.
Vegetarian so not going to change my diet. I can't exclude processed meat as I don't eat any.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JeremyOU
at least here its a significant risk.

A risk of under six percent when the meat free diet still presents a five percent risk is not significant; in real terms it's a 0.9% extra risk, not worth taking seriously

Posted from TSR Mobile
A risk of under six percent when the meat free diet still presents a five percent risk is not significant; in real terms it's a 0.9% extra risk, not worth taking seriously

Posted from TSR Mobile

true.
still 3% of those eating red/processed meat will get cancer, and therefore one in hundred people who eat red/processed meat will die from it.
:biggrin:hope I'm one of the 99.
Original post by JeremyOU
true.
still 3% of those eating red/processed meat will get cancer, and therefore one in hundred people who eat red/processed meat will die from it.
:biggrin:hope I'm one of the 99.

Three percent would be three in every hundred which is still quite small, and cancer is very survivable these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Three percent would be three in every hundred which is still quite small, and cancer is very survivable these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes one in three people who get cancer die, so 3% get cancer and 1% die:frown:
Original post by IamJacksContempt
The negative health effects of eating meat are no where near as bad or as prominent as obesity. Stop talking nonsense.

I never once mentioned obesity...
Original post by Jammy Duel
Smoking only does harm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the temporary ever shortening relieval of nicotine withdrawal symptoms does create a "pleasure" response.
Original post by animayo
This information has been around for so long, how has it only been published in the news now?

Yes.

I had to smile a few months ago when there was a big splash about eggs 'now' being good for you when that news had been around for a few years at least.

Mind you there's a thread on here pointing out how cruel egg production is so please ignore the fact that eggs are 'now' good.:frown:
Original post by Starvation13
I hardly ever eat processed meat, I only eat meat that my mum buys from the butchers and cooks tbh.

Though this news isn't gonna make people change their minds...

Now if you say red meats and processed foods will reduce penis length then THAT would be another story entirely.

I bet you mum buys the WEE WILLIE WINKIE sausages for you.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I've been cutting down on red & processed meat for a while, as my family has an extensive history of bowel cancer :frown:

Hi, I'm not going to read through the whole thread, so apologies if someone has already said this. Also, if you already know this, then you can obviously ignore it :smile:

You say your family has an extensive history of bowel cancer? Have any of you been tested to see if it is caused by a hereditary gene mutation?

You see, it was only after my dad got bowel cancer (his dad and sister had already died from it and plenty of cousins had it too) that they got it checked out and it transpires that some of us have something called Lynch Syndrome which increases the risk of bowel cancer (and other cancers) significantly.

If one of your parents has it, there is a 50% possibility of you having it. If you don't have it, then you don't have to worry, but if you do, then they give you colonoscopies every two years to make sure that no cancer develops or that it is caught early.

If you haven't already been checked out, then I would really recommend it :smile:
Original post by redferry
I never once mentioned obesity...

Oh is "fat" not synonymous with obese anymore? Somebody should have told me...
Oh is "fat" not synonymous with obese anymore? Somebody should have told me...

Being overweight is not the same s being obese.

I'm amazed no-one has ever told you that but happy to take the task on myself.
Original post by Plumstone
Hi, I'm not going to read through the whole thread, so apologies if someone has already said this. Also, if you already know this, then you can obviously ignore it :smile:

You say your family has an extensive history of bowel cancer? Have any of you been tested to see if it is caused by a hereditary gene mutation?

You see, it was only after my dad got bowel cancer (his dad and sister had already died from it and plenty of cousins had it too) that they got it checked out and it transpires that some of us have something called Lynch Syndrome which increases the risk of bowel cancer (and other cancers) significantly.

If one of your parents has it, there is a 50% possibility of you having it. If you don't have it, then you don't have to worry, but if you do, then they give you colonoscopies every two years to make sure that no cancer develops or that it is caught early.

If you haven't already been checked out, then I would really recommend it :smile:

Hey,

Thanks so much for the information :smile: I'm not sure what tests have been done :beard: Neither of my parents have had it, but it is in the family (many cousins/aunts/uncles) so my father and his siblings have regular checkups.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad :hugs: Hope you're doing okay, too.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hey,

Thanks so much for the information :smile: I'm not sure what tests have been done :beard: Neither of my parents have had it, but it is in the family (many cousins/aunts/uncles) so my father and his siblings have regular checkups.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad :hugs: Hope you're doing okay, too.

It's okay - my dad got through it by the skin of his teeth (and thanks to my mum's expert care) and since his operation, he's been completely cancer free :smile:

I'm pleased to hear that your dad and his siblings are getting regular check-ups. You could still talk to your GP about getting referred to a genetics clinic so that you can find out more, but as long as you're all being careful and managing the risk then that's good.

I've just been invited to take part in a clinical trial to find out more about how aspirin reduces bowel cancer rates, so hopefully I'll be able to do something to help future generations to avoid it :smile:
Original post by redferry
Being overweight is not the same s being obese.

I'm amazed no-one has ever told you that but happy to take the task on myself.

You never said overweight. You said "fat". Stop trying to worm your way out with lies.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plumstone
It's okay - my dad got through it by the skin of his teeth (and thanks to my mum's expert care) and since his operation, he's been completely cancer free :smile:

I'm pleased to hear that your dad and his siblings are getting regular check-ups. You could still talk to your GP about getting referred to a genetics clinic so that you can find out more, but as long as you're all being careful and managing the risk then that's good.

I've just been invited to take part in a clinical trial to find out more about how aspirin reduces bowel cancer rates, so hopefully I'll be able to do something to help future generations to avoid it :smile:

I'm glad your Dad pulled through :smile: That's really great to hear.

I will definitely ask if my dad has been tested for the gene. :h:

That's an amazing thing to do! Hopefully they will get some positive results from the study. Bowl cancer is such a horrbile disease to go through, I hope they find an effective way to avoid it.
You never said overweight. You said "fat". Stop trying to worm your way out with lies.

Fat doesn't necessarily mean clinically obese though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fat doesn't necessarily mean clinically obese though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In most cases it does though, depending on what your interpretation of fat is.

She's just nitpicking anyway to avoid the actual argument. My point was that eating meat isn't comparable to being fat in terms of negative health effects or cost to the NHS for that matter.
Original post by Bigdobber
I bet you mum buys the WEE WILLIE WINKIE sausages for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending