The Student Room Group

How does my experience sound?

I'm interested in people's opinion on the work experience/volunteering I've done in regards to applying to medicine. This is everything I've done:
- I've volunteered in a library for coming up to a year now
- Worked on a farm for over 6 months
- Had work experience at a nursery for one week
- Work experience in a hospital for one week
I understand that the focus is on quality rather than quantity, but I'm not sure which of these are most important to discuss in my personal statement.
The hospital work experience really made me think, and I've got lots to say about how that was, but would it be worth it to talk about the others?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thats very good experience there, regardless of what job your going for, employers appreciate voluntary experience, the hospital one is good as well, and would help with your career path. :wink:
Original post by pineneedles
I'm interested in people's opinion on the work experience/volunteering I've done in regards to applying to medicine. This is everything I've done:
I understand that the focus is on quality rather than quantity, but I'm not sure which of these are most important to discuss in my personal statement.
The hospital work experience really made me think, and I've got lots to say about how that was, but would it be worth it to talk about the others?

You have a nice selection of voluntary work.
In your personal statement, it is crucial to try and emphasise what you learnt.
If you have the time/chance, I would also advise that you volunteer in a care home.
Original post by Rickstahhh
You have a nice selection of voluntary work.
In your personal statement, it is crucial to try and emphasise what you learnt.
If you have the time/chance, I would also advise that you volunteer in a care home.

That'd be a nice idea, I did try to arrange some at a carehome because I like working with the elderly but I didn't manage to. I don't have time now because my deadline is next Friday :s-smilie:
Original post by ikhan94
Thats very good experience there, regardless of what job your going for, employers appreciate voluntary experience, the hospital one is good as well, and would help with your career path. :wink:

Thanks, I worry a bit because some people have hours and hours and hours. But yes, quality not quantity.
That'd be a nice idea, I did try to arrange some at a carehome because I like working with the elderly but I didn't manage to. I don't have time now because my deadline is next Friday :s-smilie:

You're applying for medicine right?
You're applying for medicine right?

Not directly, I'll be applying to Biomedical Science and either transferring or completing the degree and then going on to medicine.
Not directly, I'll be applying to Biomedical Science and either transferring or completing the degree and then going on to medicine.

Graduate entry medicine is very very competitive. Plus taking this route will also be very expensive.
How come you decided to do Biomed first (just curious :smile: ) ?
Graduate entry medicine is very very competitive. Plus taking this route will also be very expensive.
How come you decided to do Biomed first (just curious :smile: ) ?

Hahah, so I've been told :h: It's complicated, but I'll try to explain my reasoning.
Ideally I'd have taken a gap year so I could have built up a stronger application towards medicine and hopefully be able to get a place at my local uni. Thing is though, my parents don't think my taking a gap year or moving out would be a good idea, because of the debt both these things would put us into.
This really limits my options. I think I pretty much decided on biomedical science because I have a better chance of not getting rejected by everywhere I apply to thus forcing me to take a gap year anyway. It provides a route, if not the best, into medicine at least.
You see though, before I really understood how difficult it would be, it was already too late. My teachers were very misleading about the whole matter and now I'm not completely happy about what I'm trying to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hahah, so I've been told :h: It's complicated, but I'll try to explain my reasoning.
Ideally I'd have taken a gap year so I could have built up a stronger application towards medicine and hopefully be able to get a place at my local uni. Thing is though, my parents don't think my taking a gap year or moving out would be a good idea, because of the debt both these things would put us into.
This really limits my options. I think I pretty much decided on biomedical science because I have a better chance of not getting rejected by everywhere I apply to thus forcing me to take a gap year anyway. It provides a route, if not the best, into medicine at least.
You see though, before I really understood how difficult it would be, it was already too late. My teachers were very misleading about the whole matter and now I'm not completely happy about what I'm trying to do.

Oh I see.
I'd personally take a gap year - it is literally the best time of your life :biggrin:. You can do whatever you want and not have to worry about exams. You could get a job and go travelling etc etc. I'm currently on a gap year (well deferred entry) and it is a good opportunity to do things that you won't be able to once you start med school.
The amount of people that transfer from other degrees into medicine is literally negligible. It is only a handful of people every year.
Also if you apply as a graduate you will get very little financial support from the government.
But i'm sure everything will work out for you :smile:

Where are you intending to apply for biomed?
Oh I see.
I'd personally take a gap year - it is literally the best time of your life :biggrin:. You can do whatever you want and not have to worry about exams. You could get a job and go travelling etc etc. I'm currently on a gap year (well deferred entry) and it is a good opportunity to do things that you won't be able to once you start med school.
The amount of people that transfer from other degrees into medicine is literally negligible. It is only a handful of people every year.
Also if you apply as a graduate you will get very little financial support from the government.
But i'm sure everything will work out for you :smile:

Where are you intending to apply for biomed?

I would, if I could avoid the massive argument bringing it up again would result in XD
I'll be applying to Leeds, Sheffield Uni, Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham. I like the idea of Manchester but they don't do biomed :frown:.
I would, if I could avoid the massive argument bringing it up again would result in XD
I'll be applying to Leeds, Sheffield Uni, Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham. I like the idea of Manchester but they don't do biomed :frown:.

Manchester is literally amazing!
They were my insurance last year for medicine.

I heard that Sheffield is pretty good for biomed.
Good luck with your application :biggrin:

Manchester do do Biomed! http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/00532/biomedical-sciences-3-years-bsc/
Manchester is literally amazing!
They were my insurance last year for medicine.

I heard that Sheffield is pretty good for biomed.
Good luck with your application :biggrin:

Thank you! Hopefully everything does go to plan :smile:

Oooh, that's a relief, thanks! I don't know why I couldn't find that :h:
Oooh, that's a relief, thanks! I don't know why I couldn't find that :h:

No worries :smile: I was worried for a second because if they didn't offer it as a course my sister's degree would be a lie!

You'll get far more debt with graduate entry medicine than you would just studying as an undergraduate. I don't understand how a gap year would put you in to debt... just get a job for a year (it looks good on an application and its great life experience).

I wouldn't aim for GEM. Its too risky and costly. Get AAA, get a job and take a gap year. Otherwise you'll end up with at least £100k of debt if you do GEM (if GEM is even an option in 4 years).
Original post by ForestCat
You'll get far more debt with graduate entry medicine than you would just studying as an undergraduate. I don't understand how a gap year would put you in to debt... just get a job for a year (it looks good on an application and its great life experience).

I wouldn't aim for GEM. Its too risky and costly. Get AAA, get a job and take a gap year. Otherwise you'll end up with at least £100k of debt if you do GEM (if GEM is even an option in 4 years).

That's what I want to do, but I've brought it up twice before and both my mum and stepdad have disagreed with me to the point of getting angry. It's really difficult when it's two against one, and I hate confrontation. I really don't know how to convince them that it would be the better option.

What it boils down to is not the quantity but the quality. You will be asked to reflect on your work experience in interview and whats important is not stating what you did but what you learnt.
Having said that I would definitely get work experience with perhaps a GP, a nurse maybe (they like asking why not nursing in your interview) and some care home stuff.
With regards to your other non medical experience, to be quite frank, I don't see it helping in your personal statement or interview.
That's what I want to do, but I've brought it up twice before and both my mum and stepdad have disagreed with me to the point of getting angry. It's really difficult when it's two against one, and I hate confrontation. I really don't know how to convince them that it would be the better option.

Show them the calculations of how much GEM costs. Assuming you get the max loan, its £9k tuition fee and £8k maintenance loan. Thats £17k per year. Thats £51k just for your undergrad. As it stands now the first year of GEM you need £3465 up front for fees and loan for rest. NHS pays that amount the next 3 years. So in tuition fee loans thats £22k for GEM. Then if you get £8k maintenance (assuming it will extend to GEM courses too), your total for GEM comes to £54140. So £100k of debt to be a doctor.
Compared to £9k x 4 for undergrad tuition plus approx £35k in maintenance (as NHS takes over in 5th year). Its a considerable saving.

Also look up the competition ratios for GEM. There are far fewer places and you can end up with 3 or 4 more times the applicant:tongue:lace ratio than for Undergrad (if not more).

But what it boils down to, is it isn't really up to them. If you want to do Medicine, the best option is to get AAA and take a gap year. They can't force you to go to university. Tell them that medical students and doctors have advised you thats the best path to take

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending