The Student Room Group

Can I become an accountant with a bachelor's degree in engineering

What it says in the title really
Reply 1
And would it be better to have a master's or a bachelor's in engineering to become a chartered accountant.
Reply 2
Original post by 12amadaeus
What it says in the title really

Short answer is yes, and it makes no difference whether you have the bachelor or masters
Reply 3
If you have a 2.1 or above and 300 UCAS points you can apply to the big accountancy firms graduate schemes. Degree subject is not an issue; you need to progress through the various tests/assessments/interviews to be accepted.
Reply 4
Original post by marple
If you have a 2.1 or above and 300 UCAS points you can apply to the big accountancy firms graduate schemes. Degree subject is not an issue; you need to progress through the various tests/assessments/interviews to be accepted.

So having a master's in engineering will not give you a greater advantage than having a bachelor's?
Reply 5
We are in 2015. The answer to OP is no. The accounting sector is incredibly diluted with experience these days, thats all employers simply want these days. If you had asked me the same question back in the 90's i would have said yes.

I know several accountant graduates and they're all pretty much stacking shelves at Tesco's.
Reply 6
You can either take some of the CFA exams or a relevant MSc...
Reply 7
Original post by marple

So having a master's in engineering will not give you a greater advantage than having a bachelor's?
Reply 8

Not really. You probably need a more relevant Masters degree.
Reply 9

Not really. Experience and being able to demonstrate commercial awareness would be more useful. Have you looked on the ICAEW website http://careers.icaew.com/ they give some useful information. You could also contact some of the larger firms to discuss your plans with them - they want keen candidates, and will be able to give you direct advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending