The Student Room Group

Squash or Rowing?

Was wondering which sport is better for cardio/conditioning? I'm aiming to increase my stamina, speed and cut excess fat whilst maintaining muscle mass. Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Rowing is builds pretty phenomenal athletes

Squash players are seriously fast, but seriously bad knees
Original post by Angry cucumber
Rowing is builds pretty phenomenal athletes

Squash players are seriously fast, but seriously bad knees

Thanks for replying. Yeh I thought along the same lines and it's annoying coz I'd like both speed and athleticism. My timetable is pretty hectic so will have to prioritise one. How bad is squash for your knees? Surely it will benefit your quads more due to the constant moving?
Any other help would be appreciated :redface:
Rowing, definitely. Done a bit at school (on the water) and it is seriously tiring.
Original post by will_jg
Rowing, definitely. Done a bit at school (on the water) and it is seriously tiring.

Would love to do it on the water (properly) but can only do it on the concept 2 atm. Thanks anyway.
Squash is infinitely more fun and burns a lot of calories, no brainer for me.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Squash is infinitely more fun and burns a lot of calories, no brainer for me.

Definitely agree with the first bit. Squash deserves to be at the olympics, it's so enormously underrated. It may burn more calories but surely rowing is better for muscular endurance and overall stamina? The average rower has a better build than a squash player...
Reply 8
Squash is a very physically demanding as a sport, not too sure about rowing as i haven't done it but i play squash at quite a high level where i live. It requires massive amounts of endurance, and i've had games last 3 hours most of which you are sprinting corner to corner returning shots. I would definitely recommend it to anyone as long as you have a friend of similar skill level to play it with. It's a fun game, and i'm not sure where the guy got the information that its bad for your knees, as squash was rated one of the healthiest sports to play because of its endurance. Its great for building stamina as well as cutting excess fat. However i can imagine that rowing would be better for building core muscle
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Definitely agree with the first bit. Squash deserves to be at the olympics, it's so enormously underrated. It may burn more calories but surely rowing is better for muscular endurance and overall stamina? The average rower has a better build than a squash player...

I assumed whatever your choice is, it'd supplement a weight training regime? That's the difference between a rower's physique and a squash player's, on top of their rowing training rowers also regularly train with weights to develop power and muscular endurance.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I assumed whatever your choice is, it'd supplement a weight training regime? That's the difference between a rower's physique and a squash player's, on top of their rowing training rowers also regularly train with weights to develop power and muscular endurance.

Yes, it'd be another form of cardio. The reason why I emphasised maintaining muscle mass is for rugby purposes, hence why I'd like to primarily gain better stamina, speed and muscular endurance. I get the impression from what you said that if a squash player lifted as much as a rower they'd have a better physique both functionally and aesthetically?
Yes, it'd be another form of cardio. The reason why I emphasised maintaining muscle mass is for rugby purposes, hence why I'd like to primarily gain better stamina, speed and muscular endurance. I get the impression from what you said that if a squash player lifted as much as a rower they'd have a better physique both functionally and aesthetically?

Stamina and speed, definitely I reckon, you need to be pretty quick and fit to play squash. As for muscular endurance, explosive power etc., that sort of thing can be worked on in your training. You can certainly be big and fast, Michael Jai White the martial arts actor is a fine example.
Reply 12
I haven't done rowing but squash is one awesome sport! And the burn and the sweat! :eek:
I'd choose rowing. Any extra pulling to help offset benching and go towards keeping shoulders healthy I would take.
Reply 14
Squash > Rowing

/endthread.
Go for Rowing definitely. :smile:
Reply 16
Rowing = going backwards on a seat.
Original post by jneill
Rowing = going backwards on a seat.

It's pretty gruelling mate
Reply 18
It's pretty gruelling mate

Indeed. But still, it's just going backwards on a seat...

Squash is much more fun :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by jneill

Squash is much more fun :wink:

:five:

The one thing I'm being extra careful with squash is to avoid slamming myself into the wall after a speedy run! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest