The Student Room Group

vegan, vegetarian, omnivore?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jimbo1234
Omni - and if there is an increase in vegan/vegetarians then it shows people's knowledge of nutrition is decreasing.

Lol good luck with that eventual cancer.
i initially went vegan at 14 and spent lots of hours as a teen posting on similar forums to this about animal rights, environmentalism, nutrition etc. i was almost always the only vegan with a few vegetarians here and there backing me up, and this was around 8 years ago. the poll results so far are pretty like, astonishing tbh

i'm really excited that the world seems to be moving towards a plant based diet and embracing the idea of veganism
Original post by 0range

Because a huge lack of protein has no side effects..:rofl:

Whats that got to do with a vegetarian/vegan diet?
Original post by 0range

Meat doesn't cause cancer.
Reply 45

Who says a vegan lifestyle means you lack protein? I most certainly get enough protein.

Original post by RFowler
Meat doesn't cause cancer.

...I'm not even going to bother
All humans are omnivores.
Original post by 0range

"Eventual cancer" are the words you used, and that implies a very high to near certain cancer risk. Which is simply not the case.

Some processed meats allegedly increase cancer risk by about 18% when consumed excessively. Most people have a low risk of cancer to start with, and an 18% increase doesn't amount to much.

And OP didn't specifically mention processed meats, or how much he/she eats, so the concerns about processed meats might not even be relevant at all.

Original post by 0range
Who says a vegan lifestyle means you lack protein? I most certainly get enough protein.

Not sure if you're aware but legumes (beans, lentils...), nuts, soy, veggies, and wholegrains all contain protein and most of these contain more protein per gram than meat. Vegans certainly do not lack protein, this is an absolute misconception. I don't preach and I don't like preachy people on either side of the debate (omnivore or vegan) but i believe people should understand food and where key nutrients come from.

Reply 49
Original post by RFowler
"Eventual cancer" are the words you used, and that implies a very high to near certain cancer risk. Which is simply not the case.

Some processed meats allegedly increase cancer risk by about 18% when consumed excessively. Most people have a low risk of cancer to start with, and an 18% increase doesn't amount to much.

And OP didn't specifically mention processed meats, or how much he/she eats, so the concerns about processed meats might not even be relevant at all.

Are you actually kidding me? "an 18% increase doesn't amount to much" Mate that is almost 1/5th of an increase. That is a ****ing lot.
Reply 50
Normal.

So omnivore.

/FlameSuitEnabled
Original post by LinnyPinny77
Not sure if you're aware but legumes (beans, lentils...), nuts, soy, veggies, and wholegrains all contain protein and most of these contain more protein per gram than meat. Vegans certainly do not lack protein, this is an absolute misconception. I don't preach and I don't like preachy people on either side of the debate (omnivore or vegan) but i believe people should understand food and where key nutrients come from.

I am a vegan and tend to agree with the above, but one thing I would just bring up (without actually knowing an awful lot about it!) is the issue of incomplete proteins. From what I gather some plant-based proteins are not sufficient on their own to constitute the same amount of protein because our bodies cannot use them in the same way due to their 'incompleteness'.

Someone correct me if I wrong but it's just something to be aware of.

And hey, eating plants is still way healthier
Vegetarian 11 and a half years now. I put cheese on almost everything though, so veganism isn't really something I could manage...
Original post by greggyt94
I am a vegan and tend to agree with the above, but one thing I would just bring up (without actually knowing an awful lot about it!) is the issue of incomplete proteins. From what I gather some plant-based proteins are not sufficient on their own to constitute the same amount of protein because our bodies cannot use them in the same way due to their 'incompleteness'.

Someone correct me if I wrong but it's just something to be aware of.

And hey, eating plants is still way healthier

Hey,

Yes some are incomplete for instance peas being paired with say rice or a wholegrain becomes a 'complete' protein. So in this instance you are correct! I've found it loads easier to put on muscle and bulk up since quitting the meat almost 10 years ago. My blood tests recently showed perfect healthy range for B12 and Iron and I don't take supplements for either of these.

I don't tell people how to live their life but I believe it's best to know all about food before judging or making sweeping statements like 'vegans are abnormal' or 'vegans are deficient in protein' because it's simply not true. Also doctors advocate for everyone to eat more vegetables and fruits...not eat tons more meat. I mostly think the presence of antibiotics, hormones and toxins which are present in all of these due to injection/medicine for farmed animals or from pollution in the sea are definitely not good for the human body.

Good post but the acidity point is crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

Yes some are incomplete for instance peas being paired with say rice or a wholegrain becomes a 'complete' protein. So in this instance you are correct! I've found it loads easier to put on muscle and bulk up since quitting the meat almost 10 years ago. My blood tests recently showed perfect healthy range for B12 and Iron and I don't take supplements for either of these.

I don't tell people how to live their life but I believe it's best to know all about food before judging or making sweeping statements like 'vegans are abnormal' or 'vegans are deficient in protein' because it's simply not true. Also doctors advocate for everyone to eat more vegetables and fruits...not eat tons more meat. I mostly think the presence of antibiotics, hormones and toxins which are present in all of these due to injection/medicine for farmed animals or from pollution in the sea are definitely not good for the human body.

That's just to say that their is an upper limit where meat is not healthy - synonymous with saying there is a healthy range too. For example, the ratio between veg and fruit is skewed towards veg due to sugar in some fruits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0range
Are you actually kidding me? "an 18% increase doesn't amount to much" Mate that is almost 1/5th of an increase. That is a ****ing lot.

“What we do know is that avoiding red meat in the diet is not a protective strategy against cancer,” said Robert Pickard, a member of the*Meat Advisory Panel*and emeritus professor of neurobiology at Cardiff University.

Dr Elizabeth Lund an independent consultant in nutritional and gastrointestinal health, and a former research leader at the Institute of Food Research, who acknowledges she did some work for the meat industry in 2010 said red meat was linked to about three extra cases of bowel cancer per 100,000 adults in developed countries.

“A much bigger risk factor is obesity and lack of exercise,” she said. “Overall, I feel that eating meat once a day combined with plenty of fruit, vegetables and cereal fibre, plus exercise and weight control, will allow for a low risk of colorectal cancer and a more balanced diet.”

Posted from TSR Mobile
I eat meat, and I won't consider cutting it out of my diet until I feel confident I'm not going to relapse into an eating disorder. Saying that, I do often eat meals that don't contain meat (seeing as I'm equally a poor student, and I like to make sure the meat I buy is good quality, free range, etc) and I eat little to no "processed meat" - I just don't like most of it. I know quite a few people who are vegetarian, including my mother, and a couple of vegans, one of whom is of the militant type and another who just cut out meat and dairy for medical reasons (and jokes that she's the least preachy vegan ever!)
Original post by 0range

It depends what your cancer risk is. If you are healthy and your risk is small, that small risk increasing by 18% isn't that much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending