The Student Room Group

Do most doctors hate their jobs?

Hi guys. I am an international student who applied to study in the uk. However lately it seems like doctors in the uk are not happy with their jobs and this is aside from the junior doctors' row. I applied to the uk because it seemed like it would be better than studying in my country nigeria, but i am worried ill regret working in the uk. Is being a doctor not as rewarding as it seems? Honestly the whole thing is making me discouraged. Thoughts??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by geniequeen48
No offence but after you mentioned Nigeria I started reading the rest of your paragraph in a Nigerian accent (in my head).

Okay but do you have anything helpful to say?
P.S. pretty sure whatever accent you imagined isn't what I sound like.
Original post by temid
Okay but do you have anything helpful to say?
P.S. pretty sure whatever accent you imagined isn't what I sound like.

I heard something like cuts or the wages aren't good enough from the NHS. Also on the news it said that Doctors are travelling to work in other countries. That's all I can say, sorry.
Reply 3
Original post by temid
Hi guys. I am an international student who applied to study in the uk. However lately it seems like doctors in the uk are not happy with their jobs and this is aside from the junior doctors' row. I applied to the uk because it seemed like it would be better than studying in my country nigeria, but i am worried ill regret working in the uk. Is being a doctor not as rewarding as it seems? Honestly the whole thing is making me discouraged. Thoughts??

I'm a medical student, and I honestly don't believe that this is the case :smile: the vast majority of doctors I've met do enjoy their jobs
Reply 4
Original post by Ezme39
I'm a medical student, and I honestly don't believe that this is the case :smile: the vast majority of doctors I've met do enjoy their jobs

Thanks. Certainly glad to hear it. I think that the negative stuff probably has more attention or something.
Original post by temid
Thanks. Certainly glad to hear it. I think that the negative stuff probably has more attention or something.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/home/finance-and-practice-life-news/5000-doctors-a-year-considering-leaving-the-uk-to-emigrate-abroad/20007366.fullarticle
i think if you personally have the motivation to practice medicine to the extent where you actually care about your patients, no matter where you are, you shouldn't be unhappy

Why do you want to be a doctor (not an interview question btw)
Reply 7
Original post by temid

If you're going into it for the right reasons it'll be worth your while. If you just dig the cash, go be a dentist or a banker.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous00
i think if you personally have the motivation to practice medicine to the extent where you actually care about your patients, no matter where you are, you shouldn't be unhappy

Why do you want to be a doctor (not an interview question btw)

Well, part of it is the fact that I want to help people by treating them and the other part is that i genuinely find medicine fascinating. It's so diverse and interesting and I can't imagine not being able to find a specialty that's right for me. I feel it is very open as a career and I can't see myself studying anything else. Compared to medicine every other career I've considered seems dull. With this and the fact that I can help people I am content. I made this thread to make sure that it being a fulfilling job was not just all in my head. Would you say I'm rightly motivated??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by temid
Well, part of it is the fact that I want to help people by treating them and the other part is that i genuinely find medicine fascinating. It's so diverse and interesting and I can't imagine not being able to find a specialty that's right for me. I feel it is very open as a career and I can't see myself studying anything else. Compared to medicine every other career I've considered seems dull. With this and the fact that I can help people I am content. I made this thread to make sure that it being a fulfilling job was not just all in my head. Would you say I'm rightly motivated??

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that is what your'e doing medicine for then I think you should go for it wherever. Some doctors hate their jobs because they went into it because their parents wanted to or for the money etc. The only issue with genuinely wanting to care for people is the fact that sometimes you can't actually do that to the full extent. As a doctor you won't have time to have relationships with your patients and sometimes you might make it worse then it originally was. This is the reality but the pros outweigh the cons :smile:
Some of the doctors love their jobs, some don't. Some want to move to australia for better working conditions and better pay.
Tbh, at the moment, the thought of a significant pay-cut with more hours is really disheartening.

It isn't that important when you enter medicine but when you are planning your mortgage and wedding, it really can mess things up.

Unless you really really want to do it, then I would do something else. Most of my friends are earning 40k plus with normal hours, with the same or worse grades.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's alright.

There are some days that are amazing, and others that make me want to walk out the door and never come back. The pay is **** and the hours are long. Every simple job comes with a hundred obstructions and the NHS is littered inefficiency that it would make any logical man cry. But ultimately, you're doing something meaningful and positive for others, rather than spending your days making money for other people.
In the 4 years since I've qualified I've certainly seen a decline in morale, and "love of the job".
You sound like you have good motivations for pursuing medicine, then again so did most of us when we applied, we just had very little idea of the working conditions or what we were getting ourselves into.
I did my work experience sitting in with GPs who sent me home when it got to the boring paperwork, and helping out in a care home. I knew nothing about what lay ahead in terms of working as a junior doctor.

My advice would be to get some direct experience shadowing a junior doctor and see what you make of it for yourself. Do this before you apply, or whilst in the early years of study. Don't just do it on the odd afternoon, try shadowing a weekend on call, or a night shift.
Then you can make an informed decision for yourself.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Smile88egc
In the 4 years since I've qualified I've certainly seen a decline in morale, and "love of the job".
You sound like you have good motivations for pursuing medicine, then again so did most of us when we applied, we just had very little idea of the working conditions or what we were getting ourselves into.
I did my work experience sitting in with GPs who sent me home when it got to the boring paperwork, and helping out in a care home. I knew nothing about what lay ahead in terms of working as a junior doctor.

My advice would be to get some direct experience shadowing a junior doctor and see what you make of it for yourself. Do this before you apply, or whilst in the early years of study. Don't just do it on the odd afternoon, try shadowing a weekend on call, or a night shift.
Then you can make an informed decision for yourself.
Good luck :smile:

Thank you :getmecoat:. Can I ask what specialty you are working towards and why you chose it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Etomidate
It's alright.

There are some days that are amazing, and others that make me want to walk out the door and never come back. The pay is **** and the hours are long. Every simple job comes with a hundred obstructions and the NHS is littered inefficiency that it would make any logical man cry. But ultimately, you're doing something meaningful and positive for others, rather than spending your days making money for other people.

This is what I feel too, I mean most of the time I don't hate it though don't love it either but sometimes it is just ****, then other days you realise that hey, you actually did something good. I think I might feel happier about it once I have got through this year too.
Original post by Etomidate
It's alright.

[video="youtube;vgk-lA12FBk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk[/video]

kidding

OP have you tried shadowing a doctor in your home country? I am also thinking of applying for Medicine but it's a huge commitment so do research, work experience will also help your application
Not a doctor myself but I can comment that most doctors I have been in contact with (a lot - My whole family and extended family) wouldn't imagine of another career route.

Medicine is a respected, challenging yet rewarding and exciting field. Having the privilege to apply your knowledge after years of rigorous study to help other people must be amazing. It's a field that has come a long way, and will still continue to progress, to amaze and to save people.

If you can't commit to it, don't do it. But if you can, take the leap of faith.
Reply 18
Original post by RiotGirll
[video="youtube;vgk-lA12FBk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk[/video]

kidding

OP have you tried shadowing a doctor in your home country? I am also thinking of applying for Medicine but it's a huge commitment so do research, work experience will also help your application

The doctors I shadowed loved their jobs. They just didn't like the way the Nigerian medical association worked. The NMA is kind of like the nhs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only know one doctor, but he absolutely loves his job.
Apparently the time travelling is the best bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending