The Student Room Group

Would lecturers be okay with this...

I was wondering if lecturers would be okay with students video taping them?

I was thinking i could do this and then watch the lectures later at my free time or something and also to help me revise.
Original post by yellowclaw
I was wondering if lecturers would be okay with students video taping them?

I was thinking i could do this and then watch the lectures later at my free time or something and also to help me revise.

You'd have to ask the lecturer. Some don't mind being taped/recorded. Some are adamant that you don't tape/record them. :smile:
Original post by Mochassassin
You'd have to ask the lecturer. Some don't mind being taped/recorded. Some are adamant that you don't tape/record them. :smile:

Pretty much this. Be sure you get permission before you do anything or you could land yourself in trouble.
Reply 3

Thank you. And nice avatar btw :smile:
Original post by yellowclaw
Thank you. And nice avatar btw :smile:

You're welcome! Like Sophie said, get permission first.
Thanks, you're sweet! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by SophieSmall
Pretty much this. Be sure you get permission before you do anything or you could land yourself in trouble.

lol whoa, wasn't even thinking about trouble. :biggrin: i can be dumb sometimes
Haha thank you!
Some unis run a thing where they tape all the lectures so students can watch them back afterwards if they didn't attend. in the current technological climate i'd say all unis should be doing this.
Reply 7
You're welcome! Like Sophie said, get permission first.
Thanks, you're sweet! :smile:

You welcome :smile: so are you :h:
Unless its something you want to do as a reasonable adjustment to a disability you have, then i would email all your lecturers for permission. They might not all be comfortable with videoing but you could always ask if you can take a dictaphone in if thats the problem.
When you're asking make it very clear what your intended use of the recordings would be, how you would store them and how long you'd plan to keep them.

Many lecturers may be reluctant if there's a chance you could upload their lectures without permission to youtube, share it with friends or use it to mock them in any way. Likewise if you can assure them that the recordings would be kept securely (password protection on any harddrives?) and would be destroyed (or sent to them and destroyed) once that module is complete then you're demonstrating an understanding of their privacy and intellectual property of their lectures.
http://www.jisclegal.ac.uk/Portals/12/Documents/PDFs/Recording%20Lectures.pdf
The above explains some of the legal issues faced by universities recording lectures by their employees - it covers some of the main objections and issues faced and is well worth a read.
Reply 11
Original post by anonymous998
Some unis run a thing where they tape all the lectures so students can watch them back afterwards if they didn't attend. in the current technological climate i'd say all unis should be doing this.

Original post by claireestelle
Unless its something you want to do as a reasonable adjustment to a disability you have, then i would email all your lecturers for permission. They might not all be comfortable with videoing but you could always ask if you can take a dictaphone in if thats the problem.

Original post by PQ
When you're asking make it very clear what your intended use of the recordings would be, how you would store them and how long you'd plan to keep them.

Many lecturers may be reluctant if there's a chance you could upload their lectures without permission to youtube, share it with friends or use it to mock them in any way. Likewise if you can assure them that the recordings would be kept securely (password protection on any harddrives?) and would be destroyed (or sent to them and destroyed) once that module is complete then you're demonstrating an understanding of their privacy and intellectual property of their lectures.

Original post by PQ
http://www.jisclegal.ac.uk/Portals/12/Documents/PDFs/Recording%20Lectures.pdf
The above explains some of the legal issues faced by universities recording lectures by their employees - it covers some of the main objections and issues faced and is well worth a read.

Thank you all very much :smile:
I used to record audio a lot instead of video and then listen to it at 2x speed. Watching the whole thing all over again would not necessarily be a good use of time.
The other thing I would do is find other lectures on the same topic to review. The Teaching Company (now called The Great Courses) has lots of material. You might check your public library for what they've got from this company. Mine used to have lots of their courses and they're great for going over the same ideas from different angles. And then of course you want to back everything up by doing the supplementary reading and then writing up a summary of what you've learned to really nail it down. Throw some memory techniques into the mix and you're golden. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending