The Student Room Group

What's the difference between confident and arrogant in your opinion?

Just as the title says..

Here are some examples.

'' You should put me first. In my past relationships my ex's put me first and I matched their effort".

" you should feel privileged, I just finished work at you're the first person I thought to call ".

"I'm going to bring out the naughty side of you"

Confident, arrogant or neither?

Confident or arrogant?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Just as the title says..

Here are some examples.

'' You should put me first. In my past relationships my ex's put me first and I matched their effort".

" you should feel privileged, I just finished work at you're the first person I thought to call ".

Confident or arrogant?

Well confidence is knowing you're able of doing something and not making a big deal out of it.

Arrogance is making people inferior to you for not being able to do something.

I think the first two is more of cockiness rather than confidence/arrogance... the third is neither.
(edited 8 years ago)
First two examples seem a bit arrogant, third one example I'd say depending on the person they are talking to.
Confidence = thinking you matter just as much as everyone else.

Arrogance = thinking you matter more than everyone else.

First two seem pretty arrogant.
The first two examples seem passive aggressive, the last one is how a man should roll.
Reply 5
Thanks. I definitely thought the first two statements sounded very arrogant, I didnt know how to respond to be honest lol.
Arrogance is 'I'm better than you'.
Confidence is 'I'm better than I was yesterday'.
Reply 7
Arrogance just means you're self centred. It has nothing to do with confidence. I know many arrogant people who barely speak. Example: thinking about yourself like asking someone for money midconvo where they lament their bills not being covered.

I know confident people who are not arrogant but who can appear it or become it. Example: there's a female in one of my lectures who tries to take over the class. The professor asks another student a question and she jumps in; people have literally told her to shut up because he didn't ask her, and she keeps doing it. She would say, "I don't know; is it this!?" talking over the intended person to answer. And her answer would be embarrassingly wrong but she keeps talking out loud. She is confident in her answers, albeit when they are wrong so she is also arrogant. But that's not always the case but anyway.
The first one definitely seems arrogant.

The second one, well.. depends on the delivery/tone. They may well being sarcastic, if not that is arrogant.
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
The first one definitely seems arrogant.

The second one, well.. depends on the delivery/tone. They may well being sarcastic, if not that is arrogant.

At this stage I'm not even sure. He makes it seem like it's a joke, but at the same time I'm not sure if he's just plain arrogant.
At this stage I'm not even sure. He makes it seem like it's a joke, but at the same time I'm not sure if he's just plain arrogant.

I'm not sure either :s-smilie: :iiam:
I hope that you figure it out :smile:
Simples.

It's arrogance if you have to insult/put other people down just to feel superior.
Reply 12
The difference is unpleasantness. Associated with thinking you're the best ever or not caring about others feelings.

Regarding the statements, it's hard to tell because you need the context and tone. They could be flippant remarks. But 1 pretty questionable, 2 might be flippant, 3 not really arrogant.
Original post by Zarek
The difference is unpleasantness. Associated with thinking you're the best ever or not caring about others feelings.

Regarding the statements, it's hard to tell because you need the context and tone. They could be flippant remarks. But 1 pretty questionable, 2 might be flippant, 3 not really arrogant.

I understand what you mean. Whilst I thought he came across as arrogant, he also made it seem like he was joking. Time will tell I guess, thank you.
Reply 14
[QUOTE=Anonymous;60581427]I understand what you mean. Whilst I thought he came across as arrogant, he also made it seem like he was joking. Time will tell I guess, thank you.
Which remark did he make, or all 3 ? Maybe it's bravado..
Original post by Zarek
Which remark did he make, or all 3 ? Maybe it's bravado..

He said all three plus more, but I can't remember for the life of me. He called me today and it was like he reeled out so many lines I couldn't keep up, I had to ask if he'd been drinking because he was so full of life. I spoke to him two days ago and he was the complete opposite, but I think this was more to do with him being tired.

Random question ; we've briefly spoken about meeting up. He said he was free everyday after 5 and mentioned Friday. I said Friday was okay and we talked about places to go, the reception was really bad so I struggled to hear him. He said he'd call me back if the phone cut off. The phone cut off and he didn't call back. I called back and it went to voicemail, so I gathered the reception was still bad. Hours later still nothing so I sent him a text, he responded and we are exchanging texts with no mention of tomorrow.

Should I mention tomorrow or just see if he brings it up ?
Reply 16
[QUOTE=Anonymous;60582353]He said all three plus more, but I can't remember for the life of me. He called me today and it was like he reeled out so many lines I couldn't keep up, I had to ask if he'd been drinking because he was so full of life. I spoke to him two days ago and he was the complete opposite, but I think this was more to do with him being tired.

Random question ; we've briefly spoken about meeting up. He said he was free everyday after 5 and mentioned Friday. I said Friday was okay and we talked about places to go, the reception was really bad so I struggled to hear him. He said he'd call me back if the phone cut off. The phone cut off and he didn't call back. I called back and it went to voicemail, so I gathered the reception was still bad. Hours later still nothing so I sent him a text, he responded and we are exchanging texts with no mention of tomorrow.

Should I mention tomorrow or just see if he brings it up ?Sad to say he's probably an arrogant tosser but you're clearly intrigue if not infatuated. I would cut to the chase and mention it.

Neither. Just sounds like faulty logic to me.

Neither. It's either truthful and blunt or manipulative. Press them more about it - Why should I feel privileged, were you tempted to call someone else over me? Why didn't you? Why did you call me instead? If he shuts up and has no response he's just trying to manipulate you. If he goes "oh because you're x,y,z and I think that's awesome" then perhaps not.

Confident. Not necessarily a good thing though.
Lol "I'm going to bring out the naughty side of you":rofl2:
Just as the title says..

Here are some examples.

Confident or arrogant?

first two are manipulative and control freak-esque.
third is confidence and probably not true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending