The Student Room Group

9am lectures/practicals can't cope!

Scroll to see replies

Did the foam earplugs work?
Original post by Frostyjoe
Hi,

Basically I've got 3 9am classes this week and I am finding it incredibly hard to get to them! I got to the first one but I missed today's one because I slept in to 9:30, the thing was it was a practical otherwise I would've went.

I am really annoyed about it because I had an opportunity to get there but I didn't. There was partying to 4am last night in my halls so as you can imagine it's going to be pretty hard to get up for an 8am class.

It's not struggling to get up at 8am which is my problem, it's the partying at 3-4am which is my problem. Teachers seem to be very unsympathetic for people struggling with 9am lectures, I can kind of understand their viewpoint but then at the same time I can understand the other end of the stick aswell.

I don't really know what to do, to be honest I've tried my best to adapt to the partying but it's not really working. I can't really force myself to get up if I am going to sleep my alarms, I have made an effort to set many alarms so far and none of them have worked. There's really much I can hope to do if there is partying.

Does anyone have any advice?

Sadly that's halls for you.Cant you ring security or the warden to calm them down?.Im sure your accommodation will have somebody who you make noise complains to.Things tend to settle in second semester .In the meantime invest in some earplugs I recommend.

Well that's how it is ,teachers cannot change 9am classes for you mate.
I'm in 9am everyday ,5 days a week .Once you get into a routine ,it gets easier.
I find people get sooo lazy when they get to university.Getting up at 7am would get you on time for a 9am class.You're even lucky it's 9am some students are in at 8:15 for lectures at some universities.
Learn to organise your time ,establish a decent routine ,eat healthy ,exercise and you won't have problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think people are understanding. I SLEPT through the alarm, as in I did not wake up when it went off!

Anyway, I just sent a text message to him, I am really embarrassed to be honest. Being late is not my forte, unfortunately I can't imagine him or anyone else being sympathetic.

I have done my best to get up for these classes and that's all I can do.

Go to bed earlier!
assuming you are in uni halls then i would say call your security after midnight when they start getting loud and get them to deal with it.
That's nothing! I have to wake up at 6 every morning to get to university for 9 and also have to start work at 8. For 9 days straight! You need to go bed earlier or set your alarm earlier. If all else fails and the partying is still continuing then you need to find somewhere else to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Butterfly92xo
That's nothing! I have to wake up at 6 every morning to get to university for 9 and also have to start work at 8. For 9 days straight! You need to go bed earlier or set your alarm earlier. If all else fails and the partying is still continuing then you need to find somewhere else to live.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you read anything the OP wrote?
Reply 66
At the risk of sounding controversial I am tempted to say 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do!' I know many people who are first years actually want to do well and go to bed at a reasonable hour, but frankly in many ways living in Halls and expecting to be able to have silence and peace every night is like booking a holiday to Magaluf for the 'peace and quiet.' OP - you have the rest of your life to go to bed at a reasonable hour, I would say go and join the party as you might regret not being a part of that once you get older! ( I didn't as I struggled socially - I lived on a corridor of 32 (!) students (might be a record I don't know) , I generally went to bed at 10/11pm and frankly just got used to the noise and it never really woke me up particularly)

Get a louder alarm and catch up on the sleep when you don't have 9am lectures/at weekends. Or try sleeping late afternoon/ early evening for an hour or two - I know many people in my Halls did that when I went to Uni.

If youre really not up for partying, it depends on the uni how seriously you would be taken. York for instance has notices everywhere telling students not to make noise after 11:30pm (but then much social life is college bar based and academically it is a challenging uni.) While frankly in some other unis trying to get security to tell people off for noise might be tantamount to expecting people to have an early night whilst on holiday in Ibiza.
Original post by ~Seraphina~
Many of my friends actually get to lectures on time. Their secret? They do not bathe or brush their teeth when they get up. They simply throw some clothes on and rush to school.

Well you don't need to brush your teeth in the morning so that's quite reasonable.
I'm not changing my sleep pattern because of loud noise , idc lol.
Original post by Wimbs
Get a louder alarm

You can get the ones that deaf people where you can change the volume of the alarm. And you can get the ones which vibrate. I found the latter were actually far more effective.
Reply 70
Just missed another one. Haven't missed it in a while as our teacher cancelled it for the last few weeks.

For me to get up for 9am I have to basically stay up all night and to me an hour class is not worth it. Teachers are always so unsympathetic.

This morning I had 10 alarms set at various intervals and I still managed to sleep through it. I am going to go into the town tomorrow and try and get a louder alarm clock than my iphone.

I even tried to get my mum to ring me up, it took her 60 calls one day. Thankfully the semester is nearly over, hopefully the timetable is better next semester.. I have been fine otherwise, I can get up for 10am classes.

Still.. I'm annoyed at the teachers for setting classes at this time, I don't see the point
(edited 8 years ago)
Just missed another one. Haven't missed it in a while as our teacher cancelled it for the last few weeks.

For me to get up for 9am I have to basically stay up all night and to me an hour class is not worth it. Teachers are always so unsympathetic.

This morning I had 10 alarms set at various intervals and I still managed to sleep through it. I am going to go into the town tomorrow and try and get a louder alarm clock than my iphone.

I even tried to get my mum to ring me up, it took her 60 calls one day. Thankfully the semester is nearly over, hopefully the timetable is better next semester.. I have been fine otherwise, I can get up for 10am classes.

Still.. I'm annoyed at the teachers for setting classes at this time, I don't see the point

While I definitely sympathise with you for having annoying flatmates who keep you awake (have a similar problem sometimes), having 9am classes really isn't that unreasonable or unusual - most jobs will expect you in for 9am or thereabouts. And usually lecturers don't have much of a say in when their classes will be, it's all done by the admin people.
Getting a louder alarm clock, or one that vibrates, sounds like a good plan.
Definitely see your gp. A lot of people will lecture you if you struggle with tiredness and sleep but actually, it is possible that there could be more to it in terms of general health.

Original post by gutenberg
And usually lecturers don't have much of a say in when their classes will be, it's all done by the admin people.
Getting a louder alarm clock, or one that vibrates, sounds like a good plan.

For completely unrelated reasons, I asked to have my timetable changed. I was told I can change seminars; but there's nothing that can be done about the lectures.

OP - you need to get a letter from your GP if you haven't done so already in regards to seeing if you can move.
Original post by OU Student
For completely unrelated reasons, I asked to have my timetable changed. I was told I can change seminars; but there's nothing that can be done about the lectures.

OP - you need to get a letter from your GP if you haven't done so already in regards to seeing if you can move.

Same - I've found lectures are non-negotiable, but if there are different seminar groups you might be able to switch, but it's at the discretion of the lecturer/TA.
Reply 75
I commute an hour and my days are always 9am starts. 6am wake ups for me :s-smilie:
Just missed another one.

You would have my sympathy if you have reported the noise and tried to get something done about it. However, fiddling about with alarm, and worrying about a perfectly reasonable timetable are nothing to do with the root cause of the problem.

Putting up with mid-week late noise is not an option.

For me to get up for 9am I have to basically stay up all night

I don't follow, why would you have to stay up all night to get up for 9am?
Hi I'm a halls subwarden at my work (which is a uni) I find it highly suspicious that people in your halls haven't been told to shut up even without people reporting them. Is there not anyone doing rounds? Also if students report noise to us it's always completely anonymous we just go and tell them to be quiet. We don't tell them it's been reported. They don't know if we're just doing rounds or whatnot.

I would highly recommend letting someone know. Obviously other people are going to be in the same boat and may be too timid, like you are, to tell someone.

Bear in mind that your lecturer also had to get up early to be in for 9am, and they probably don't live anywhere near as close to the university as you do.

Maybe try something like this:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2552271.htm

Lecturers probably prefer not to have 9am lectures either.

They will have little choice in when lectures are timetabled. This will be done by a central timetabling team, who will already have enough problems juggling constraints -- not only do they have to worry about making sure you don't get timetable clashes; they need to fit you into the rooms they have available. (You can't fit classes of 30 into a room that only holds 20 people, for example.) Then add in open units in other departments, etc....

Have you made formal complaints about the noisy people yet?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending