The Student Room Group

Could this beast overtake oxbridge?

Warning: This is a random thread.

I was wondering if some of the elite non oxbridge British Universities such as Imperial, Warwick and LSE combined could overtake or rival oxbridge.
As this moment its clear to everyone that no university comes close to those 2 ancient giants but if you could have the sciences and engineering department of Imperial, Strength in Social sciences from LSE and a insance maths department from Warwick and its prestigious business School WBS.

In my opinion the combined economics departments from lse and warwick have the potential to be the worlds best. Feel free to express your opinion do these 3 universities combined have the potential to overtake or rival oxbridge?
London Met already has.
I do think so, Oxbridge don't hold #1 for all courses, and Unis overtake them in other aspects too all the time.

My friend got a chemistry offer from imperial of A*A*A*A.... They're picking the cream of the crop to try and outperform oxbridge I think.

So yeah
Haha interesting thread and yeah i think it could probably be on par with cambridge and overtake oxford imo. The maths department of imperial and warwick combined would be devaststing and would probably be top 5 in the world.
Original post by Skeptyle
I do think so, Oxbridge don't hold #1 for all courses, and Unis overtake them in other aspects too all the time.

My friend got a chemistry offer from imperial of A*A*A*A.... They're picking the cream of the crop to try and outperform oxbridge I think.

So yeah

imperial doesn't want to be the insurance choice.
Reply 5
Original post by BlindingLight
London Met already has.

Yes so has Wolverhampton
Yes, Imperial + Warwick + LSE would be one of the best universities in the world. It would be the world leader in Mathematics and Economics.
Reply 7
Original post by Skeptyle

So yeah

Yhyh i agree i think in general maths students from warwick and imperial are insane i know a guy who got 5A*s and Grade S in STEP II and III and went to warwick for maths and had oxford as insurance i didnt believe him until he showed me a picture of his ucas where i saw oxford uni insured :O.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sadly the blinkered London-centric attitudes of many students miss out Durham. It is at least the intellectual equal of Oxford and Cambridge, and will likely exceed those two relics in the next couple of years. Us Durham students prefer the term Doxbridge to refer to the three great institutions of English higher education. This portmanteau will become common parlance in the next few years.
Reply 9
I dunno about overtake. Rival, for sure.

Original post by Quantex
Sadly the blinkered London-centric attitudes of many students miss out Durham. It is at least the intellectual equal of Oxford and Cambridge, and will likely exceed those two relics in the next couple of years. Us Durham students prefer the term Doxbridge to refer to the three great institutions of English higher education. This portmanteau will become common parlance in the next few years.

Woxbridge didn't take off and Doxbridge certainly won't lol
Reply 10
Original post by Quantex

Im asking if Warwick+LSE+Imperial could overtake/rival oxbridge what does durham have to do with this? I didnt even mention them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Yeah i think it could, the sheer power of that university in maths, economics, sciences and business would pretty much annihilate most universities.
Whats with the Warwick die hard on this site?

LSE+Imperial don't compete with one another right now as it is... combining would do jack ****. The fame of the names Oxford & Cambridge and the prestige that comes to mind are part of the reason why they will be undisputed for decades to come.
This "beast" might have a chance in economics and maths against oxbridge thanks to lse + warwick econ and warwick+imperial maths but it would get wrecked in pretty much any other discipline, i think oxbridge is waay too strong.
Original post by Brinkgod25
Warning: This is a random thread.

I was wondering if some of the elite non oxbridge British Universities such as Imperial, Warwick and LSE combined could overtake or rival oxbridge.
As this moment its clear to everyone that no university comes close to those 2 ancient giants but if you could have the sciences and engineering department of Imperial, Strength in Social sciences from LSE and a insance maths department from Warwick and its prestigious business School WBS.

In my opinion the combined economics departments from lse and warwick have the potential to be the worlds best. Feel free to express your opinion do these 3 universities combined have the potential to overtake or rival oxbridge?

The major inhibiting factors for most non-Oxbridge British universities is the correlation between wealth and reputation. If you have a lot of money then you can afford to issue the most grants whilst providing the best facilities. Combine the two and you can place the best talent in the best environment.

But here's the rub (if you pardon the irony), humanities subjects are pretty irrelevant in this race (which hurts me as a humanities student) because reputation is going to be primarily driven by major scientific research achievements and advancements. Despite what literature students may think, nobody gives af that Horatio's a bender. On this premise it's understandable most would conclude that non-Oxbridge unis are unable to compete, after all, Oxbridge have the most money.

However, Imperial is an exception to the rule by focusing on "superficial trash" instead of Horatio's sexuality they are able to focus their more limited funding on more reputationally significant aspects of academia. Allowing them to stand alongside Oxford during the Coronavirus when it comes to research and contributing to the national effort (an excellent piece of PR). There will be a long latency on seeing reputational changes but I think it is amply possible, that at least Imperial could rival Oxbridge- I am more sceptical of Warwick and the LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending