The Student Room Group

Camus

Thoughts on Albert Camus's 'L'étranger' (the Stranger)?
Good book but the plague is something else...a class above.

The stranger deals with how things can abruptly change in life and turn one into a stranger in his own life. Camus was French but was born in Algeria (former French colony). Personally I did not like the references to local Algerians in this book but as people often say to explain or probably condone racism .. it was something common to that time or era...

On the personal level if you place yourself in the shoes of the narrator you get the feel of how the wind twists his life upside down and that is interesting..

I would recommend The plague.. It's one of my favourites.. ~ . O
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't like it, did you have to read it in French?
Don't think I've read that, but I've got a book of short stories that are pretty good (if a bit odd) and The Outsider was very interesting :biggrin:
Reply 4
I'm attempting to resurrect my GCSE french by reading L'Etranger in french. It kind of works! As long as you read it infront of an online dictionary. Aujourd'hui maman est morte.
Existential classic - see also Sartre, Dostoevsky and Nietzsche
Reply 5
Original post by Vicky628
Don't think I've read that, but I've got a book of short stories that are pretty good (if a bit odd) and The Outsider was very interesting :biggrin:

Yep it's the same book - l'etranger can be translated as outsider or stranger
Original post by Tom_N5
Yep it's the same book - l'etranger can be translated as outsider or stranger

Ah okay, well as you can guess I read it in English, my French reading doesn't extend further than "la belle et la bête"... So yes, I did enjoy it, thought it was interesting :h:
Reply 7
gonna read the plague. Personally I loved the stranger, thought it was genius
Original post by The Jocker
Good book but the plague is something else...a class above.

The stranger deals with how things can abruptly change in life and turn one into a stranger in his own life. Camus was French but was born in Algeria (former French colony). Personally I did not like the references to local Algerians in this book but as people often say to explain or probably condone racism .. it was something common to that time or era...

On the personal level if you place yourself in the shoes of the narrator you get the feel of how the wind twists his life upside down and that is interesting..

I would recommend The plague.. It's one of my favourites.. ~ . O

i am surprised that there are not protests and petitions to ban Camus from schools.
I actually really like L'Etranger. I hated it at first, but as I studied it further I began to really enjoy it and appreciate its themes. It is rather comforting to think of the 'tender indifference of the world', after all.

I like reading it impartially, because that's the point - we judge what Mersault does by society's standards, but we need to look past this 'filter', if you will.

Spoiler

Original post by the bear
i am surprised that there are not protests and petitions to ban Camus from schools.

Hmmmm..weird you have a point. well it's what I felt but i do not think that it is reasonable to ban any books of his... Camus is one of my favourite writers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11

on this point i think the reason for the references were in order to aid the narrative: Meursault could have got off as he was a privileged white man living in the society but instead chose to tell the truth

remember camus personally reported on the plight of the native Algerians in the face of Europeans and got a lot of abuse for it feel like you've missed the point to characterise the book as racist (if that is what you are suggesting)
Original post by The Jocker
Hmmmm..weird you have a point. well it's what I felt but i do not think that it is reason to ban any books of his... Camus is one of my favourite writers.

i studied La Peste...
i studied La Peste...

I read it.. leisurely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending