The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Is Northern Ireland the Texas of Europe?

Reposted and rephrased for coherency and removal of profanity.

I'm considering spending a semester at QUB, but the anti-abortion and anti-marriage equality positions of your government makes me suspect that as a bisexual woman, I'd have to deal with an exhausting amount of bigotry from other students. To clarify:

Abortion used to be illegal in my country, for the same religious reasons it's illegal in yours, but then we the people decided that was unjust, so we chose government officials who shared that view, they changed the laws, and now there are ZERO criminal restrictions on abortion in my country. Similarly, gay marriage used to be illegal in my country, but then we the people decided that was unfair, so we elected government officials who shared that view, they changed the laws, and now we have complete marriage equality.

Governments do not exist independently of the will of their people. The government of NI enforces anti-abortion laws that violate basic human rights for women, and has been quoted as saying they have no intention of ever legalizing gay marriage, therefore, the population that chose that government must share those views, which are indicative of a society that would seem practically medieval to me. Therefore, I am wondering if choosing to go to school in NI would just be needlessly subjecting myself to dealing with sexism and homophobia on a daily basis.
Reply 1
In short, no. I personally have met very few people that in anyway can be deemed notably socially conservative and most people, especially students our age, are all like minded people who do not agree with socially conservative views.

NI has a complicated political system and it is very important to recognise that when taking this into account. However, to simplify, the majority of the population are Unionist and the largest Unionist party, the DUP, are very socially conservative. It is very important to note that the DUP do not have a majority but are the largest party in the NI assembly and certain political systems allow them to prevent the enacting of more socially liberal legislation. This is all while the other parties support Gay marriage, however abortion is certainly a more debated topic. Even with the DUP electorate I personally believe few subscribe to their conservative views on marriage and other social issues but do vote for them due to their position as a staunch Unionist party. Referring to the NI government as a single entity therefore is very problematic as it a power sharing government that selects ministers in rough proportion to their performance in the legislature and not very often is there agreement, meaning there is no single decision on same sex marriage.

So really, the truth is that yes abortion is quite debated, the introduction of same sex marriage is an inevitably as it is definitely supported by the majority of people. Honestly, I think the majority of NI are quite left wing/centre but the issue of National Identity blinds them to what parties they vote for.
(edited 8 years ago)
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
No you wouldn't.
As stated previously, the university has a lgbt society. It's a liberal university and caters to all its students.
You wouldn't be considered differently or not allowed on buses etc like previous times in history with other races etc.
Thinking this way will only segregate yourself.
As for the pm...just because I am commenting on this. Don't make assumptions I am from here, or about my sexuality etc. That is just acting like all others you're complaining about.
You won't be targeted walking down the street. It's the 22st century.
Just because the government doesn't think the same or have policies such as other countries doesn't mean it's a bad country. It has already been debated about human rights, however, look at some countries as part of the Emirates.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QueenJustine
Reposted and rephrased for coherency and removal of profanity.

I'm considering spending a semester at QUB, but the anti-abortion and anti-marriage equality positions of your government makes me suspect that as a bisexual woman, I'd have to deal with an exhausting amount of bigotry from other students. To clarify:

Abortion used to be illegal in my country, for the same religious reasons it's illegal in yours, but then we the people decided that was unjust, so we chose government officials who shared that view, they changed the laws, and now there are ZERO criminal restrictions on abortion in my country. Similarly, gay marriage used to be illegal in my country, but then we the people decided that was unfair, so we elected government officials who shared that view, they changed the laws, and now we have complete marriage equality.

Governments do not exist independently of the will of their people. The government of NI enforces anti-abortion laws that violate basic human rights for women, and has been quoted as saying they have no intention of ever legalizing gay marriage, therefore, the population that chose that government must share those views, which are indicative of a society that would seem practically medieval to me. Therefore, I am wondering if choosing to go to school in NI would just be needlessly subjecting myself to dealing with sexism and homophobia on a daily basis.

The simple answer is no, the LGBT society has been big on this and the political views on abortion and marriage are outdated, they don't represent the view of the major population.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
It's certainly not that drastic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alana_p
It's certainly not that drastic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. I even got a pm from op. Making assumptions I was even from NI. Northern Ireland is nothing like op is making out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
While I get that you were probably using the comparison to be dramatic, I would just like to add that Texas is a really awesome part of the world. I have spent time there and made many friends who were born and raised in the state. These people range from conservative right wing Republicans to liberal social Democrats. And all are very proud Texans.

Do not let the stereotypes fool you - people are people.

The same can be said for Northern Ireland (where I am from). You have people from all walks of life, with many different views on these issues.

As a Texas country singer once sang - "It takes all kinds of kinds".
Reply 7
I wouldn't let Donald Trump being the republican presidential candidate stop me from going to america (and there is a hell of a lot more people voting from trump there than there are voters in total here), dont let our crappy, messed up, religiously divided government stop you coming from here, it really has no reflection of the people at all!

There is a massive LGBT community in Belfast which is obvious just by walking through its streets and there is an annual gay pride parade (abortion is a whole different complicated matter with too many different arguments and views, its not just black and white). Come here, you'll love it for sure. Our generation is a hell of a lot more liberal than our government portrays us to be (mostly because the not so liberal, very conservative oldies in power have veto) and we're a pretty warm, welcoming bunch!
Reply 8
You cannot buy guns in supermarkets in NI yet.
No, it's Russia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending