The Student Room Group

Best universities for business and student life

I am an international student from India.
I will be doing business related undergraduate course like Finance or Business Eco. I am confused which universities I should choose . Currently I have chosen the following universities .
1. Kings London
2. City University London
3. University of Manchester
4. University Of Leeds
5. Lancaster University
Yes, academics is a main factor but I also want a university where student life , nightlife , social life is really awesome . I am also really really interested in sports especially football .I have also searched up loughborough university and University of Sheffield. But I don't know much about their Business school . Please let me know which all universities should I choose depending on academics , student life and sports . If you also have any other suggestions please let me know
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd say out of those Leeds is probably the best choice, it has a name that's known internationally, it's in a major city so it will have good nightlife, living costs are low and it's a large, older university so lots of sports. I'd say it's also worth looking into Nottingham, Edinburgh and Bristol which also fit those descriptions.

Kings and City/Cass are respected but you also have to deal with the cost of living in London, Manchester and Sheffield have the international brand name but are not as highly ranked for business/economics as Leeds is, Lancaster isn't so well known internationally as far as I know and given the location I can't see it having much of a nightlife, Loughborough is great for sports people but it's apparently quite a dull place and again not as well known or highly ranked.

As an international student you should also think about travel to these universities as some will be a lot easier to access than others e.g. after you land you may need to take a 2 hour train with a couple of changes, and after a 10 hour flight that's probably not desirable.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say out of those Leeds is probably the best choice, it has a name that's known internationally, it's in a major city so it will have good nightlife, living costs are low and it's a large, older university so lots of sports. I'd say it's also worth looking into Nottingham, Edinburgh and Bristol which also fit those descriptions.

Kings and City/Cass are respected but you also have to deal with the cost of living in London, Manchester and Sheffield have the international brand name but are not as highly ranked for business/economics as Leeds is, Lancaster isn't so well known internationally as far as I know and given the location I can't see it having much of a nightlife, Loughborough is great for sports people but it's apparently quite a dull place and again not as well known or highly ranked.

As an international student you should also think about travel to these universities as some will be a lot easier to access than others e.g. after you land you may need to take a 2 hour train with a couple of changes, and after a 10 hour flight that's probably not desirable.

Hey thank you for your reply,,, appreciate your help

I checked the reviews and ranking of the business school of Lancaster and Manchester, they are pretty good.

I checked the rankings for student life at Lancaster University,, it is in top 10 in the student life ranking.

Also, can u tell me how much will it cost for an international students to study in London compared to other cities. Accommodation + Tuition. If you could tell me..

Thank you again.
Original post by Swayam31
Also, can u tell me how much will it cost for an international students to study in London compared to other cities. Accommodation + Tuition. If you could tell me..

Thank you again.

Each year you're probably looking at £2,000 more for living costs and £3,000-5,000 more in tuition from what I remember.
Reply 4
Each year you're probably looking at £2,000 more for living costs and £3,000-5,000 more in tuition from what I remember.

And how's the University of Edinburgh for business courses compared to my chosen 5
Original post by Swayam31
And how's the University of Edinburgh for business courses compared to my chosen 5

Nationally it's the highest ranked in comparison for economics and in the middle for finance and business categories with Leeds and Lancaster being higher. Internationally I can't see many people knowing Lancaster compared to Edinburgh though.
Reply 6
So Leeds and Lancaster are higher than Edinburgh academically in business subjects? Okaay. Internationally, I'll check that out. Thank you
Nationally it's the highest ranked in comparison for economics and in the middle for finance and business categories with Leeds and Lancaster being higher. Internationally I can't see many people knowing Lancaster compared to Edinburgh though.
Reply 7
This is literally my life right now, trying to figure out some sort of preference between KCL, Manchester, Leeds, Durham, Bath... :s-smilie: My subject is marketing though.
Reply 8
Look at their official business school sites.
Original post by Sim0ne
This is literally my life right now, trying to figure out some sort of preference between KCL, Manchester, Leeds, Durham, Bath... :s-smilie: My subject is marketing though.
Hey :smile: I’m a business and marketing student in Glasgow, and waswondering if I could just ask a quick question for my dissertation:When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors aremost important in your decision?Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending