The Student Room Group

I feel like dropping out of college

I study Health and Social Care BTEC level 3, and feel like I can't take the work load anymore, it just feels out of reach for me to come out with a Distinction grade overall.:frown:

I also feel lonely at college, I am a quite person who has social anxiety and does not like attention and that is why it seems like hardly anyone would make a conversation with me.:redface:

I would like to go to university to be a nurse or a midwife, but this dream seems far from reach, I want to make my parents proud because all my life it seemed like I was a mess and someone who was an underachiever academically.:frown:

I would like to provide for my parents financially when I am older because of what they have done for me.:redface:

I just don't know what to do, college is laid back, teachers seem to care less, I wish I went sixthfrom- the grass looks greener on the other side.

I hate Anatomy and Physiology(human biology)-science is not my thing and all as I don't even have a science GCSE the other units are stressful. :frown:

We use a plagiarism checker called turnitin for our coursework which I annoying because it will highlight words that you can't change like "the renal system" and tell you that you have plagiarised someone in Glasgow or an internet source. I mean, there is only so much I can say.:frown:

There is nothing to look forward too

I can't afford to drop out because my course this year is exam exempt, whereas next year, my course will have exams based on human biology.

I don't want to come out with just two pass grades because although they are equivalent to two C gardes, getting a pass at BTEC level is not recognised and preety worthless as anyone can just "pass" the course. I want to aim for the stars-get DD(disctinction grades) at the end.

Any help/advice will be appreciated.
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
I neeed help asap
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I neeed help asap

I like your use of pink and purple emoticons. :wink:

Don't worry about the Turnitin plagiarism bit too much; the person who looks at your work will understand that certain things are difficult to rephrase, etc. A certain amount is acceptable too; it is only when you are getting high levels of plagiarism that you should be concerned. If this worries you, speak to your tutor about it.

I'm going to emphasise that last sentence for the rest of this reply: have you tried talking to your tutor about the units that you're finding difficult? This could be such a simple step that might end up helping you a lot.

As for workload, if you're struggling with keeping up with the Distinction work but are determined to get better than a Pass, you could still get some Merits. How would you feel about those? Working towards those might ease your stress a still give you something better than a Pass.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
You sound like a very good person.

BTEC isn't A-level, is their a time management issue? Because getting distinction is all about doing extra work, reading the books, course materials, asking the tutor if you need any help. I did a BTEC at college.

As for being quiet, do you have friends outside of college? Try to speak to your GP regarding your social anxiety. I also recommend reading books about this, how to improve your social skills and get more confident, the only way to do this is to practice in real life, task risks, volunteer and start asking questions about them and be interested in their life or what's happening at the moment, go to the gym, be positive, optimistic, join a club.

Good luck!
First, get counseling. Find someone you can talk to.

Second, try to tough it out. There are many difficult moments in life and getting through them is one of life's tasks.

When I started at university, it was very difficult to be away from home. I also felt extremely lonely at times, which persisted into my mid-20s. But I stuck it through, and discovered many things and made some great friends in the process. Hopefully it will be the same experience for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending