The Student Room Group

Engineering has destroyed my motivation to study and I hate UCL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lawliettt
Which engineering branch is this?

Can't really expose that as I like that to be anonymous as well. I don't want to be identified by people who know me as that is just embarrassing.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks. Do you know what these students did differently to do the best in their class? Did they get 1st? I have the KA Stroud book and it is really good but I don't know whether it will be enough to save me.

I wouldnt know as i am on a gap year, and going to study engineering later in the year.
i have friends at university studying engineering and they say all you need to do is put work in aka be motivated, plus they had the ka stroud book.
Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated.
What? So there aren't many Engineering Industries anymore? By the way I want to know the best amount of hours of studying for an Engineering student. Do you think studying 5 hours a day is enough to get me to pass? How much time did you spend studying when you were an Engineering student and what grade did you get for Engineering.
Original post by TeeEm
I will agree with @BlackSweetness but I want to say a few general things
A very big proportion of engineering graduates in the UK do not get employed by the engineering industry, simply because there is practically none left.
Most people find STEM subjects hard, so you will be experiencing similar emotions if you were doing maths, physics etc.
My advice is to motivate yourself the best you can, then defer the year and study maths and physics if you feel that is the real issue otherwise painful decisions lie ahead.

I sincerely hope it works well for you.

All the best
Reply 24
Jesus, just change courses then. It's not like you've invested much time in it. No big deal.
Original post by Howard
Jesus, just change courses then. It's not like you've invested much time in it. No big deal.

The problem with this is that I'm going to lose my Maintenance Grant because ill be starting a course from year 1 in 2016.
The problem with this is that I'm going to lose my Maintenance Grant because I'll be starting a course from year 1 in 2016.
Original post by Aniittah
Drop engineering as a course. Waiting till you fail is a waste of time . Study something that interests you instead 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
What? So there aren't many Engineering Industries anymore? By the way I want to know the best amount of hours of studying for an Engineering student. Do you think studying 5 hours a day is enough to get me to pass? How much time did you spend studying when you were an Engineering student and what grade did you get for Engineering.

5 hours is a good start
(PS I did Maths at UCL, not engineering)
Are there even any English people at that uni anymore?
After studying there for over 3 months I can honestly tell you that a White British student at UCL is definitely a rarity. I've only come across like under 10 White British students there and even if they are White British they're mainly from from private schools. So much for Liberalism and Multiculturalism.
Original post by OurPeople
Are there even any English people at that uni anymore?
After studying there for over 3 months I can honestly tell you that a White British student at UCL is definitely a rarity. I've only come across like under 10 White British students there and even if they are White British they're mainly from from private schools. So much for Liberalism and Multiculturalism.

Are there black people?
Original post by maggie43
Are there black people?

Yeh there are quite a few. A lot of Somalis though.
Yeh there are quite a few. A lot of Somalis though.

Ok good luck. I really hope you find a solution to your problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok good luck. I really hope you find a solution to your problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you planning to study Engineering at UCL? If you are then I just want to warn you that it is atrocious, in fact, BEng in general is atrocious. In terms of difficulty I would say BEng > BSc > BA. I would never recommend Engineering unless you absolutely love Maths and Physics and If you love Maths you would have studied Further Maths at GCE A level which is quite fundamental to Engineering. You will have more hours of lectures than the average student, workload is large, studies is fast pace and the Engineering concepts can be very difficult to understand.
Are you planning to study Engineering at UCL? If you are then I just want to warn you that it is atrocious, in fact, BEng in general is atrocious. In terms of difficulty I would say BEng > BSc > BA. I would never recommend Engineering unless you absolutely love Maths and Physics and If you love Maths you would have studied Further Maths at GCE A level which is quite fundamental to Engineering. You will have more hours of lectures than the average student, workload is large, studies is fast pace and the Engineering concepts can be very difficult to understand.

I was planning to do engineering but you've really scared me. I'm not really prepared to go through all that. So what course are you going to do now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was planning to do engineering but you've really scared me. I'm not really prepared to go through all that. So what course are you going to do now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning to continue with the course if I pass. If I can't pass I'm going to try to get into BSc Human Sciences at UCL. If UCL kick me out I'm going to try BSc Biology at Queen Mary.
I'm planning to continue with the course if I pass. If I can't pass I'm going to try to get into BSc Human Sciences at UCL. If UCL kick me out I'm going to try BSc Biology at Queen Mary.

Till when? Are you still in your first year? I doubt they'll kick you out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you be able to offer me any sort of advice on how to revise for Engineering? What is the key to surviving Engineering? How did you prepare for exams? What sort of materials did you use to enhance your knowledge and understanding? At the moment I'm not really sure how I'm going to be able to get enough practice. I'm baffled at the Maths and I don't know whether practicing from the textbook will be worth it.

In what year are you?

If in first year: It is normal not to understand much. If you are able to get past papers, do them to get an idea, what you have to cover. Learn your lectures and ask, ask, ask! Half of the people sitting around you confident as they would be Einstein in person, have no idea at all. Hence just work hard, ask, use the year to learn how to learn stuff, which seems impossible. That will help you also when transferring to another degree. Engineering is hard and the transition from school to uni is it, too.

But only study it longer than a year, if you have a reason to do it. Just to be rproud afterwards won't work well. No maintenance grant will be worth it.

How much hours..hm, during term time in addition to lectures two to three hours, in case I had them the whole day and on lecture free days/weekends 8 hours, that was normal in the first years. (Of course you should still take time off at least once a week.) With time you can allow you more time of, as you get a better feeling and you will learn more effectively.
(edited 8 years ago)
Keep going, loads of people now don't do anything to do with their degrees, and try and get a two two/two one. You'll look back and it's a very small period of your life. With those degrees, certainly a 2:1, you'll get ona amasters/phd even if a lesser uni, that won't matter if it's the subject you want to do and plenty of masters now let you on from other subjects, I know there's a lot at southampton that do that.
I'm in my first year. I'm saying if I pass then I'll continue with the course and focus in the next 2 years. If I fail then I'll try switching courses within UCL. If I can't then I'll make a new UCAS application and try to get into another university through clearing. This is all after I get my results which should be around July I guess.
Till when? Are you still in your first year? I doubt they'll kick you out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending