The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt 2016 Applicants - Ask us anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wars1505
Hiya, was just wondering how offers are made in regards to Btec Extended Diplomas (19 Modules giving 180 credits, with a maximum Ucas of 420)? I'm on course to achieve D*DD and I am applying for Psychology and Psychology with Forensic science

Hi wars1505,

We definitely accept Btech's however they do vary across the country so without knowing what you are actually doing I can't give you an exact answer. Best rule of thumb is that we are looking for around distinction/distinction/merit.

Hope this has helped but if you have anymore questions just ask away. I promise to be a bit more speedy!! :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by frankyelizabeth
Have chemical engineering offers started to be given yet?? Some people have told me that because I'm from England I won't be as favoured as a Scottish student, is this true?

Hi frankyelizabeth,

Chemical Engineering will be starting to give offers out from now, they are a very popular course and it will be competitive.

With regard to the university preferring one student over another, this is actually a common misconception. Scottish students get their tuition fees paid for them by the Scottish government and students from the rest of the UK take a student loan to pay for their tuition fees. The Scottish government actually put a cap on our Scottish numbers as they have a limit on the funds available to them. Students coming from England, Wales and Northern Ireland are actually uncapped so there is certainly no bias.

I hope this has helped.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by ejca
thanks for your help again, i received an unconditional offer, very happy!

Brilliant!!! We are well pleased for you! :banana:

If you have any questions or queries you know where to find us!

Cheers,
Keir
Have they started to hand our offers for computer systems? And also what tw university's policies toward applied alevels?
Original post by dg12
Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me if Herriot Watt have started giving offers for Information Systems (Internet Systems) G501? I'm wishing upon an unconditional from Herriot Watt if i do it will be my firm!

I look forward to hearing from you!:smile:

Hi dg12,

Info systems have started in their offer making process, hopefully you will hear from us soon and good luck for the unconditional offer.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by honeynunny
I am so happy. Got my unconditional for Electrical and Electronic Engineering, last night at 8.30pm! Really was not expecting anything at that time of night so a really , really nice surprise. Heriot's was my first choice so very, very happy. Just for info I'm a Scottish student.

Hi honeynunny,

We are so pleased for you!! :banana:

UCAS do downloads at weird time hence the timing of the offer.

If you have any further questions just let me know.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by NewHorizons111
Hey, I was just curious when the university starts to make and send offers out for BA Fashion Marketing and Retailing? I sent my application at the beginning of November and was just curious to know when people will start hearing about this course.

Many thanks,
Ben :smile:

Hi Ben,

The team at the School of Textiles have started going through their applications and I know they are planning selection days. You will be hearing from us very soon if you haven't heard already about these days and offers will follow that.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by oladann
Greetings Sir/Madam

I am an S6 pupil from Westhill Academy, who has applied for MEng Chemical Engineering at your university. I was wondering how many applicants you accept for Chemical Engineering and also how many Engineering applicants you accept also. I am awaiting a response from Heriot Watt regarding their decision, but im being patient.

I am also curious if the university offers any sort of discounts on the accommodation.

Thank you.

Ola

Hi Ola,

It is difficult to put a definite figure on how many offers we give because it all depends on how many applicants we have and what their predicted grades are. The department have started making offers so hopefully you will be hearing from us soon.

Unfortunately we don't have any discounts for accommodation but if you are worried about finances we do have a lot of scholarships and bursaries. Check them out here: http://www.hw.ac.uk/student-life/scholarships/a-z.htm

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by arch0wnz
Hi,

I was just wondering when the offers for the BEng in Chemical Engineering would start coming out?

And also, if I choose to come to HW, would it be possible to transfer to the MEng later on?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi arch0wnz,

The department have started to look at the applications now so hopefully you will here from us soon. :smile:

If you choose to come to HW then yes you can definitely change between the two streams! Depending on how you do in the first three years will determine if you are on the BEng or the MEng stream and many students move from one to another.

Hope this has helped.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by Ahani
Hi, i want to apply for MSc Petroleum Geoscience at Heriot Watt. On the webpage stated that there is no official deadline for this program that the application will be accepted until the beginning of the term. I'm planning to apply as soon as possible, but i have some questions regarding the submission:

1. Is it too late for me to apply now? how likely is this class haven't full yet and still accepting student?

2. It stated that one of the requirement is a Financial Guarantee. I have received a financial support in form of full scholarship from Ministry of Finance, of National Government, to fund my graduate study with amount of living allowance is approximately GBP 1.000 and the amount of any educational fund including tuition fee will be given at cost throughout study period at Heriot-Watt. However, i need to get the letter of acceptance of the university first to get the Letter of Guarantee from the scholarship grantor. What should i do in this condition? is there any way for me to prove my financial status?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration, I look forward to hear from you.

Hi Ahani,

There is no deadline but I would advise you to apply sooner rather than later.

And with regard to the scholarship you are probably better to contact the University directly and give us specific details so we can tailor our advice.

If you are from the UK can you please email [email protected] and if you are outwith the UK please email [email protected] and we will be able to help.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by Hannah0710
Hello,
Thank you for the reply. I have an offer for second year entry, I was just checking that if it was my insurance, and I missed my firm offer, would I be able to go into first year with BBB even though my offer was to go in at second year with ABB?

I was also wondering when Robotics offer holder day invites would be sent? I have been invited to an information evening but the email said that subject specific offer holder day invites would be sent shortly after receiving an offer. However, I received my offer several weeks ago and haven't been invited to an offer holder day and am eager to visit the department as I missed the open days.

Thank you for your time,
Hannah

Hi Hannah,

The web pages for the offer holder days for robotics are under construction today (one of my jobs). Hopefully you will be invited to these days pretty soon. If you are worried about your offer you should probably give Jim Herd a ring/email. you will find his details in the prospectus, he may have already contacted you too.

Cheers,
Keir
I've applied for Artificial Intelligence at Heriot-Watt. I'm applying as a Mature Student, worked at BlackBerry for 6 years and worked in technical roles for over a decade. I've set up networks, performed migrations and worked with engineers in reading logs and identifying issues.

Are mature students something Heriot-Watt does a lot of work with?
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi arch0wnz,

The department have started to look at the applications now so hopefully you will here from us soon. :smile:

If you choose to come to HW then yes you can definitely change between the two streams! Depending on how you do in the first three years will determine if you are on the BEng or the MEng stream and many students move from one to another.

Hope this has helped.

Cheers,
Keir

Thank you for your reply :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi guys

I know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2016 UCAS applications, so here's a chance for you to ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.
From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away!
Cheers

Heriot-Watt Student Room Team (Keir, Sophie and Carole):dancing2:

Greetings,

I applied to do a MEng Chemical Engineering at Heriot Watt for 2016 entry, and im wondering, if i do get accepted, which i hopefully will, do the successful applicants get invited to some sort of open day? Its just that i'd rather see the university first before going there when i start.

Also, is it possible to do a masters at a different uni, if you applied for a MEng course on UCAS?

Thanks

Ola
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
So happy, I just received my offer for MSc Finance :dance::dance::dance:
Reply 75
Any idea when Business degree offers will be going out?
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I've applied for Artificial Intelligence at Heriot-Watt. I'm applying as a Mature Student, worked at BlackBerry for 6 years and worked in technical roles for over a decade. I've set up networks, performed migrations and worked with engineers in reading logs and identifying issues.

Are mature students something Heriot-Watt does a lot of work with?

Hi ThatOldGuy,

We have lots of mature students. Actually our student population is very varied which adds to the good experience for our students.

Mature students are invited to a number of additional activities including a pre-enrolment summer school, e-mentoring and ongoing support with our Induction and Transition team. If you would like to find out more contact us at [email protected]

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by elf5
Any idea when Business degree offers will be going out?

Hi elf5

My name is Alison, and I work in the School of Management and Languages (the academic School offering the business degrees).

If you applied by the 15th January UCAS deadline, we're aiming to let you know our decision by end of March at the very latest.

Good luck! :smile:
Alison
Original post by oladann
Greetings,

I applied to do a MEng Chemical Engineering at Heriot Watt for 2016 entry, and im wondering, if i do get accepted, which i hopefully will, do the successful applicants get invited to some sort of open day? Its just that i'd rather see the university first before going there when i start.

Also, is it possible to do a masters at a different uni, if you applied for a MEng course on UCAS?

Thanks

Ola

Hi Ola,

Once you are made an offer you will be invited to campus for sure. We hold applicant visit days throughout March and April.

Student can graduate with a BEng with us and then they are able to apply to other institutions to do a post grad. We have academic mentors and careers guidance staff who will give you the best possible advice whilst you are going through your undergraduate.

Cheers,
Keir
Original post by 唐 朝
So happy, I just received my offer for MSc Finance :dance::dance::dance:

Congratulations!! :banana:

Let us know if you have any questions about the institution!

Cheers,
Keir

Quick Reply

Latest