The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Look, everyone has their own kind of parenting style, who are you to judge? If a 15 year old is emotional secure enough to be having sex and the parents have a relationship where that 15 year old can easily talk to them about sex, then there is no issue.

The only kind of bad parenting is when you are abusive.
What do people make about the idea of universal contraceptive implants for teenagers? Sounds draconian but implants for everything seem to be the way forward tbh
Original post by Das Ich Man
Daughter? Absolutely no chance. Son? I'd give him rewards

What's the difference ?
Original post by Das Ich Man
What do people make about the idea of universal contraceptive implants for teenagers? Sounds draconian but implants for everything seem to be the way forward tbh

We do have a universal contraceptive implant..
Simply, hell no.
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
So someone told me that she used to have sex with her boyfriend at 15 years old while her parents were home. And that sometimes he stayed over. In that moment i tried to imagine my own future daughter and I really really tried to be liberal and open minded and that but I gathered I can not in any ways allow my daughter to have sex in my house. I will probably go kill the boyfriend with a hammer and watch him die. I don't care that I'll go to prison or anything. Would you allow that to happen?

nooo 15 is like 5 man. She's wayy too young for sex. Hell, id say i wont even fully agree to a 15 year old having a boyfriend let alone bang him...thats just crossing the lines :/
Original post by bardnnyc
A 15 year old should be doing her home works and preparing for GCSE.

If I see my 15 year old daughter with a boy, bad things will happen. Worse will happen to the boy and his family.

Kids should only use their genitalias for urination and there should not be an upgrade on that function until they are at least 20 years.

Agreed
Reply 227
Original post by Saoirse:3
If she was mature enough to make the decision and wasn't being taken advantage of then yes. Better it happens somewhere she feels safe and comfortable than in a strange house or worse. It's perfectly natural for most people of that age, it's going to happen anyway and making the right choices about it yourself is all a part of growing up.

Pretty sure 15 is under age of consent, no matter how mature
Wtf gora literally means white people. It's not racist at alllll, Asians use it all the time
Original post by Hydeman
Wouldn't have the same shock value, and wouldn't be comparing like with like. For those of us who know the context in which the word 'gorah' is typically used, it's no different to saying 'cracker' or 'n*gger.'

Original post by cherryred90s
Someone said it means 'white person' so I didn't see that as the same as n*gger but if Gorah means cracker then fair enough
Exactly it's not racist
Original post by cherryred90s
African/ Caribbean culture too
Original post by PurplePixie96
Look, everyone has their own kind of parenting style, who are you to judge? If a 15 year old is emotional secure enough to be having sex and the parents have a relationship where that 15 year old can easily talk to them about sex, then there is no issue.

The only kind of bad parenting is when you are abusive.

I'm not trying to sound rude but if a parent allowed this, I would ask serious questions because it's quite worrisome. It's not even about being judgemental but analysing a situation. Are you telling me this sounds judgemental to raise eyebrows if a parent allowed their mid teen child who brain's is still undeveloped, is just about experiencing puberty with hormonal imbalances left right and centre to have sex in room? I think not. Though I would wish my child to wait until marriage ideally lol it's not my choice at all however I would explain to my child to wait until they've matured a bit. Until they could physically and emotionally handle a sexual relationship. These kids need to just focus on their education while trying to build themselves up. There's plenty of time for sex ahead.

If my daughter at 15 wanted to have sex and insisted, she will do whatever she likes. But in no way will I allow this happen in my home that I am paying for which holds my own rules as I don't support the idea. If she was more mature, lived alone without me needing to support her then I have no grounds in stopping her. An adult can face the responsibilities that follows with sex. A teen on the other hand is still maturing. Also is she ready for the possible things that can follow with sex? Is she responsible enough to get checked for STIs and by all means try to prevent pregnancy whether through using condemns or birth control pills. It's a lot to take on for a teenager in my opinion.
If it was me, I would advice her or him (if a son) - telling her/him about safe sex and protection but whatever consequences that follow after it's their full responsibility. You want to have sex, fine but just know now you've made an adult decision, get ready to behave like an adult including if things don't happen as expected.

This may sound harsh but those saying you'd rather have your child have sex in a safe place like home than some random place well sex isn't a kiddies game. This should be a big warning sign that she isn't ready for sex at all as if she was, these factors will be considered. Though I will say no still, I would take a 15 year old more seriously who has done their research, knows about sex safe and knows what environment is acceptable or not compared to a teen who knows close to nothing but is wanting to have sex. That's the hormones talking, I'm sorry.I believe you can advise them in terms of being safe but once your child takes up that responsibility after they've decided to become sexually active- they need to be aware of what can follow.

And What if she wants to have sex again, would you again allow them to do it in your house though it's her bedroom? What if whenever she wants to have sex, she goes to her bedroom and you're aware of this though you disprove of her behaviour? Overall, for me it's an absolute big no! You want to be sexually active fine but as it's an 'adult' aspect, handle the situation as an adult- yes I could give you some advice however you do the research, arrange the place maturely and appropriately, taking up the responsibility .
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ribbit1234
Wtf gora literally means white people. It's not racist at alllll, Asians use it all the time

That doesn't make it not-racist, and certainly not in its usual context. And neither does it take away from the racism of your original stereotyping of 'goras.'

Just so you know, it's against TSR rules to make racist remarks in non-English languages so it's best if you retract/delete your original statement and stop arguing with me on the presumption that I'm clueless about the language from which that term originates.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
it's illegal to consent to have sex when you're under 16 in the UK

(kids still have sex)

it's (generally speaking) illegal to drink alcohol / drink a spirit in a when you're under 18 in the UK

(minors still drink)

some parents let their kids have parties, knowing full well the consequences
I guess some parents let their kids have 'partners' over night, knowing...the...uh...yeah I suppose

*shrug* parenting differzzz
Original post by Hydeman
What reason is that? :tongue: Answer: there isn't one.

A limit of this kind is necessarily arbitrary -- there's no way that you could legally account for the differences in physical and emotional maturity among individuals of any given age.

I bet you'd totally be using this argument if the legal age of consent was 14. :rolleyes: Totally.

Actually, no.

The reason there is a limit is cause this is what society believes that young people have the emotional maturity to make that decision.

Yes, some people may feel ready for it at a younger age but it generalises so that people who aren't ready or who are vulnerable aren't exploited. And just because you are 16, doesn't automatically mean "I'm ready".
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Actually, no.

The reason there is a limit is cause this is what society believes that young people have the emotional maturity to make that decision.

I know why there is a limit. But your claim was that 16 is the limit for a reason; the essence of my counter-claim was that there's no particular reason why 16 is a better age of consent than 15 or 17. It's not evidence-based. There's no study that says that 16 is the age at which every single child suddenly becomes emotionally (or even physically, for late bloomers) mature enough to decide whether or not to have sex. That simply can't be said.

People mature at different rates but, for practical purposes, the line has to be drawn somewhere. The only 'reason', if it can be called that, that it's 16 is because it lines up with the old school-leaving age (i.e. people could leave school and go straight into work at 16). Nothing to do with society believing anything about emotional maturity -- as this thread has shown quite perfectly, society is actually full of prudes who don't think that 16 is appropriate either, insisting that sex should only be had at 18, 21, or after marriage.

Yes, some people may feel ready for it at a younger age but it generalises so that people who aren't ready or who are vulnerable aren't exploited.

That's basically all I've argued here in both my previous post and this one.

And just because you are 16, doesn't automatically mean "I'm ready".

I know; I haven't said anything to the contrary. In your previous post, you said that 16 should be the benchmark because it's the law and that there's a reason why the law insists on 16. I've simply said that there isn't, and that 'because the law says so' isn't a sufficient argument about emotional maturity. :tongue:

If the age of consent was 14, would you be making the same argument? I doubt it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
I know why there is a limit. But your claim was that 16 is the limit for a reason; the essence of my counter-claim was that there's no particular reason why 16 is a better age of consent than 15 or 17. It's not evidence-based. There's no study that says that 16 is the age at which every single child suddenly becomes emotionally (or even physically, for late bloomers) mature enough to decide whether or not to have sex. That simply can't be said.

People mature at different rates but, for practical purposes, the line has to be drawn somewhere. The only 'reason', if it can be called that, that it's 16 is because it lines up with the old school-leaving age (i.e. people could leave school and go straight into work at 16). Nothing to do with society believing anything about emotional maturity -- as this thread has shown quite perfectly, society is actually full of prudes who don't think that 16 is appropriate either, insisting that sex should only be had at 18, 21, or after marriage.

That's basically all I've argued here in both my previous post and this one.

I know; I haven't said anything to the contrary.

Are you a virgin by any chance?
Original post by Anonymous
Are you a virgin by any chance?

No, although I don't see what that has to do with what I've argued. I can always count on some brave soul confident in his worldview yet hiding behind anon trying to sneak in an ad hominem fallacy, though. :rolleyes:
Reply 237
Nope :lolwut:
Original post by SGHD26716
Pretty sure 15 is under age of consent, no matter how mature

Yes, it is, and I don't particularly care. The law has to make a generalisation because it can't be done individually by the state. As a parent I should be able to judge myself how ready my own child is.
I would go to the police and have him made a registered sex offender and labelled a paedo aka scum of the earth for the rest of his days. That's if I don't kill him first.

Latest

Trending

Trending