The Student Room Group

Any Tories care to defend this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squirrel777
Not all benefits, specific areas of the budget need reforming. The welfare bill is dangerously high and is growing very unsustainably. It either grows in parallel with the GDP growth (which for a long time it has not) or we identify a cap. Any party declaring we should let it grow unsustainably is childish and needs to go back to school. You don't introduce these things and let them grow as they like.

The greatest growth in welfare spending and the biggest element of welfare by a country mile is pensions. However a Conservative government wouldn't touch them as it would hit their core demographic, so they go for easier targets that fit with their lazy underclass narrative. It won't do much to substantially reduce the welfare bill, but it will get them reelected.
Reply 61
Original post by Quantex
The greatest growth in welfare spending and the biggest element of welfare by a country mile is pensions. However a Conservative government wouldn't touch them as it would hit their core demographic, so they go for easier targets that fit with their lazy underclass narrative. It won't do much to substantially reduce the welfare bill, but it will get them reelected.

You would be a good debater if you weren't completely wrong. Pensions may be the fastest growing welfare, but in terms of cost it is not as high as say ESA. Furthermore, the demographic for conservative is mainly middle aged professionals. The reduction of benefits will help the economy, when looking at the alternative of raising it, we then raise the taxes of the hard working people. This is seemingly forgotten, it isn't about screwing over the unemployed, its about reducing taxes for those who work.
Original post by Quantex

You're the one. Life goals. Stealing this :rofl:
Not all benefits, specific areas of the budget need reforming. The welfare bill is dangerously high and is growing very unsustainably. It either grows in parallel with the GDP growth (which for a long time it has not) or we identify a cap. Any party declaring we should let it grow unsustainably is childish and needs to go back to school. You don't introduce these things and let them grow as they like.

Another Procrustean. What is childish is imposing an arbitrary cap and then declaiming sanctimoniously about how the claimants (no matter how big the population grows and no matter how commensurately big the tax take becomes), all have to bloody well chop off their legs to fit inside it.

Of course, many of them don't have legs as it is...! I suppose there is always the option of cutting out your brain, then they can get a job as a Tory cabinet minister.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sw651
You would be a good debater if you weren't completely wrong. Pensions may be the fastest growing welfare, but in terms of cost it is not as high as say ESA. Furthermore, the demographic for conservative is mainly middle aged professionals. The reduction of benefits will help the economy, when looking at the alternative of raising it, we then raise the taxes of the hard working people. This is seemingly forgotten, it isn't about screwing over the unemployed, its about reducing taxes for those who work.

If I remember correctly pensions are over £70 billion/year and constitute around 50% of welfare spending. ESA is less than £5 billion. Care to explain how I am completely wrong?

Any changes to pensions would hit middled aged professionals as its their future state pensions that will be reduced or their retirement age pushed back.
Original post by sw651

Figures circa 2012
Sources: Guardian, Telegraph, DWP

Spend:
State pensions: £74bn
ESA: £3.6bn

Caseload:
State pensions: 9.2m
ESA: 2.3m

Per claimant:
State pensions: £8,065
ESA: £1,565

Remember everyone, never trust a Tory. They'll lie about anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
That is the lowest rate, most earn far more than that and on top of that they are all eligible for free travel, prescriptions, healthcare, food, housing, energy, support and many other perks. Do not play the victim card. 100 quid including free everything is a dream for many many people

I'm going to tell you why you're wrong:

I am on ESA.

1. I pay for my bus and train fares
2. I get free prescriptions but if I were not disabled I wouldn't need the meds anyway so...
3. Free healthcare is available to everyone in this country
4. I pay for my food
5. I get some housing benefit, I pay for the rest and some council tax
6. I pay for my gas, electricity and water
7. What support?
8. What other perks?
Original post by EtherealNymph22
I wish I could rep you millions of times over. You basically put what I say much better and back it up better. I'm a poor man's scrotgrot :rofl: scuse the pun.

Thanks :redface: please do weigh in though, it often seems there are a good few lefties here but we aren't as zealous and we are scared to say what we think.
The life is dreadful, I won't dispute that, but the support is sufficient. We have one of the best packages for the disabled and elderly in the world. You people need to look at America, India, China, France, Greece, Russia and many others before you bash the UK policy. The left have nothing better to do than complain about UK services when situations in the rest of the word are more dire

I'm disabled. My life is not 'dreadful'. I have friends, I have hobbies. My life is actually pretty good. But I am still disabled.

Some of the not good things in my life are the stigma of being on benefits and the way people think they can tell me what to do because I'm on benefits; the stigma due to my disability; people like you telling me my life is 'dreadful' purely because I'm disabled.
The life is dreadful, I won't dispute that, but the support is sufficient. We have one of the best packages for the disabled and elderly in the world. You people need to look at America, India, China, France, Greece, Russia and many others before you bash the UK policy. The left have nothing better to do than complain about UK services when situations in the rest of the word are more dire

I'm sure we could get to their shity level with enough effort. Will you play your part? Your attitude can lead to a race to the bottom nation wise.

I'm always harping on about America anyway.

The reason our country is better than them is because it is full of annoying people like myself that don;t stop moaning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
Thanks :redface: please do weigh in though, it often seems there are a good few lefties here but we aren't as zealous and we are scared to say what we think.

I did weigh in earlier on in the thread- I felt like I had said everything I needed to say- and I don't particularly want to keep bashing my head against the wall with some people. But I will always speak up... I sometimes get hammered for the things I say but I'm not afraid to put my thoughts out there.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I'm disabled. My life is not 'dreadful'. I have friends, I have hobbies. My life is actually pretty good. But I am still disabled.

Some of the not good things in my life are the stigma of being on benefits and the way people think they can tell me what to do because I'm on benefits; the stigma due to my disability; people like you telling me my life is 'dreadful' purely because I'm disabled.

Your honest account which is more effective at splicing the narrative than any of my retorts is great.

It makes people realise that what they are 'arguing' over is actually a real thing, and highlights just how many people have big misconceptions.

You're an inspiration.
I did weigh in earlier on in the thread- I felt like I had said everything I needed to say- and I don't particularly want to keep bashing my head against the wall with some people. But I will always speak up... I sometimes get hammered for the things I say but I'm not afraid to put my thoughts out there.

Ik it's bloody annoying, I know most of these idiots are just teenage boys trying to be edgy but it still pisses me off. You end up saying the same crap over and over again
I've had to go back to claiming ESA SG because I've been unable to hold down studying and working at the same time. I'll tell you why I am entitled to my benefits and what I use them for,

ESA additional rate £30.

I use this for travel costs.
I have mentioned numerous times that I have a personality disorder as well as Autism. I find it difficult getting from A to B. This money goes on petrol for my friends, relatives and parents to ferry me around.

A bus for disabled people would be nice but would these buses be able to serve all disabled people for their medical appointments, community journeys and grocery shopping trips?

ESA enhanced disability premium rate £15.75

I have a habit of wetting the bed and having pre-mature urination issues when I'm in public. This is a mental health problem as well as something related to my bladder & liver. I there for spend a lot of money washing clothes more then often as well as having to replace blankets, mattresses and chairs.

All of these things use to be covered on the NHS when disabled people where in institutions but when Margret Thatcher closed the institutions and created care in the community the provision was given in a cash form instead to disability benefit claimants.

ESA severe disability premium rate £61.85

My Parents work so I don't have the luxury of a carer. I get this money so I can hire private sector services to assist me in my day to day care needs.

I tend to spend it on help cleaning my home which can get in a real tip sometimes due to either phases of depression or just me basically have a huge anger lapse. There are also times when I just cannot cook period so I give my neighbors some money to cook meals for me or I order it from the local Pub which does take-away. Note: This ain't junk food it is a Roast with Vegetables.

The NHS use to provide Adult Social Care. The Government then switched this to local councils and now Adult Social Care hardly exists because Councils have had to make huge cuts.

ESA Permitted Work up to £107.20.

I had to stop doing this due to my health but I used the money for a couple extra luxuries in life like buying a computer to be able to socialize with other disabled people as well as discuss politics on TSR.

Permitted Work is the Tax Credit system for disabled people who can only do less than 16 hours work a week. It is a stair-case system to allow a disabled person to switch to Tax Credits or downsize to Permitted Work due to ill health.

Note: I can only work as long as my medication sedates me for. I take a anti-psychotic medication called Risperidone.

Anyway ........................................

Over time I haven't been very honest on TSR and I can understand why right-wingers won't believe anything I say but I wrote this to support the fellow disabled people who have shared their testimonies but also to give friends like ChaoticButterfly, Scotgrot, Bornblue and other people my true situation. I respect you lot. You are decent people even though I behave like a ass most of the time.

I would defend disabled peoples right to these amounts of welfare for 2 reasons.

1. People who have no mental health problems and are able bodied can go out into the job market and work as many hours as they choose. Some disabled people do not have the luxury of doing this and others are limited to how long they can work.

2. Disabled people need additional help for day to day living. I am not proud to say that I need additional help in doing things. In-fact I feel weak and ashamed.

So on a lighter note I would like to congratulate the usual right-wingers on here who knew all along I was a disabled scrounger looking to protect his own interests.

Scrounger that is the word the right-wingers use to oppress genuine disabled people. Well I'd rather be a scrounger than a heartless Tory who worships wealth & inequality.

I am not afraid anymore to admit I am disabled and for the past 5 years I've been pushed down by multiple people, groups and organisations but there are those of you who keep fighting and lifting me up and giving me reason to carry on.

So I will carry on.

The house of Lords and the Courts has deemed the ESA 30% cut immoral and the Bedroom Tax immoral.

With the tables starting to turn and all you comrades by my side I think its worth carrying on being a disabled student and trying to graduate.

I love you guys.
I'm not surprised, they should've waited. Too much controversy around all this 'The DWP made me kill myself!!!!!!' rubbish for this to be passed right now.
Original post by Roofas
Why should disabled people receive more money than your normal job-seeker does? What do they need to spend money on that isn't provided for them by the NHS already?

All NHS provision for the disabled was cut many years ago. Your talking at least 20 years to my knowledge. It all got devolved to local councils and now due to the Tories cutting all funding from local Government those services are no more.

Original post by Roofas

To be quite honest I think a lot of disabled people try to live too luxurious lives. If you are disabled then why should you expect more money spent on your than the bare minimum required. Why do disabled people need cars for example? I'd rather the government spend more money on those disability buses to haul these people around.

The motability scheme car is a lease which a disabled person has the option of paying for from the money they get from their Personal Independence Payment.

The people who take advantage of this scheme are often wheel chair bound people or those who have severe issues which prevent them from walking such as Lung Cancer, Emphysema or Chrons Disease.

The majority of people who get PIP-Mobility Payment use this money for travel means to get to work and back since they are unable to use a normal car.

Original post by Roofas

All we have done is create a society where you can gorge yourself until you become morbidly obese and then have taxpayers facilitate the avoidance of rehabilitating exercise by forking out money for mobility scooters and the like.

Actually that is ignorant comment you've just made there. I will use my own experience as a reason why you are wrong.

I am morbidly obese and the reason isn't because I eat the wrong food but because weight gain is a side-effect of the medication which I have to take to manage my behavioral problems & psychosis which one of my disability causes.

I take something called risperidone. Here is the link where you can check the side effect that causes weight gain.

http://www.drugs.com/risperidone.html

Original post by Roofas

I shall tell you where a lot of this money is going...to the willing precariat! You may get two long-term unemployed individuals (say husband and wife) and one of them becomes ill through natural ageing or poor lifestyle, the wife for example, and applies for ESA. The husband (who never had an intention of getting a job anyway) then becomes the 'full-time carer' for the woman and receives £62.10 a week for sitting at home all day while his wife probably still continues to hoover and cook dinner as before.

And now your trying to generalize every disabled person as someone who claims ESA for having a bad back.

I was born with my disabilities. I have a genetic disorder which is the cause of the majority of my disabilities and like many other disabled people this is the case.

You are using weak fictional smears to justify your opinion that disability benefits should be cut.

Original post by Roofas

Disabled people shouldn't be some holy untouchable group that must be kept in luxury while the rest of society tightens its belt. It might upset people to read this but disabled people are intrinsically of lower worth to the state and society. This is not debatable (but you can give it a go).

I think your find that disabled people have been the hardest hit in terms of austerity cuts from the time the Conservatives started cutting welfare and other services.

To suggest that disabled people are living in luxury is incredibly ignorant and shows you have some sort of agenda where your trying to pitch one group of people against disabled people who seem to be your scapegoat.

Original post by Roofas

There is a true decadence among the so-called disabled that needs to be harshly stamped out and unfortunately some of the truly disabled will suffer, but we have all had to suffer over the last 8 years and everyone needs to take their fair share of the burden.

Again I will repeat myself. Disabled people have been the hardest hit during the austerity that has took place. Disabled people have been the hardest hit more than any other group!

And there you go again. Your trying to separate disabled people into the undeserving and the deserving. Your trying to divide and conquer. I know your game.

Original post by Roofas

Taxpayers shouldn't help subsidise nonsensical expensive homoeopathic remedies like coco-butter that disabled people can live without, and frankly, only people with severe motile disability, say those lacking legs, should receive disability car-parking permits. "Oh I've got a bad back I can't walk 10 extra steps"...

And again your trying to say that the extra costs disabled people face are nothing but bogus 'homoeopathic remedies'. Your trying to paint the genuine needs of disabled people as selfish wants?

Let me tell you something. People have to literally save up for those expensive wheel chairs that are battery operated. The same way as I myself have to replace mattresses due to them being soaking in bodily fluids or having to smoother my skin in e45 because I suffer from Psorasis and Ezema all over my body due to having a disability which causes auto-immune problems.

You know nothing so you shouldnt speak on the issue. Your no different than Iain Duncan Smith.

Original post by Roofas

It's laziness and complacency frankly, these people would be tramps on the street if it wasn't for the money they receive and they should be more grateful that they aren't forced to do peoples' ironing or something.

Before the Tories came to power I and many other severe disabled people where doing charity work all over the country.

I was volunteering in a professional kitchen cooking top quality restaurant food for hard working people at a discounted price. I did this because I loved working with food and I loved showing my cities hard working people that I respect the contributions they make so I can have a decent life.

Again you know nothing.
Your honest account which is more effective at splicing the narrative than any of my retorts is great.

It makes people realise that what they are 'arguing' over is actually a real thing, and highlights just how many people have big misconceptions.

You're an inspiration.

I am also not inspiration porn.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I am also not inspiration porn.

I personally think people who are brave enough to stand up for themselves in a space full of people berating them are inspiring. I'm sorry if that offends you but I wasn't using you as inspiration porn.
I personally think people who are brave enough to stand up for themselves in a space full of people berating them are inspiring. I'm sorry if that offends you but I wasn't using you as inspiration porn.

Its okay. I think your more inspired about those of us who are class conscious. If you have came to the point where you are able to see your own class and the benefits, privileges, disadvantages and handicaps of others you making a lot of progress to be a more benevolent human being.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Its okay. I think your more inspired about those of us who are class conscious. If you have came to the point where you are able to see your own class and the benefits, privileges, disadvantages and handicaps of others you making a lot of progress to be a more benevolent human being.

I'm from a working class background but probably fit into something resembling a middle class bracket now (though I'll always be working class in my mind- I don't forget what I came from!) so I am aware of the struggles of being in a particular class and the ignorance amongst others. The experience of 'being' in both or having experienced both have given me quite a insight into people's attitudes and how they change based on their own personal interests (which of course they don't put it across like that-but it's essentially true).

If what I said was ignorant to Asmalltowngirl because often disabled people are used as inspiration porn then I'm sincerely sorry for that. But I was being completely genuine that I am inspired by people who stand up for themselves in difficult situations, whether it's in real life or on an online forum. The other day a friend on here stood up for herself where class and disability are IRRELEVANT as many people were attacking her for something and that inspired me. Not because she's some special case, but just because that's my personal opinion of people who show strength in the face of adversity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending