The Student Room Group

confused and depressed

i dropped out of A2 in september to chase my passions of making it as a creative , I'm on crossroads now thinking i should have just kept my creative pursuits separate from academic study, i did well in school and i thought it'd b smart to do eng lit and lang, media and btec photography did pretty badly at As but managed to get onto A2 but now if i do go back to A levels i'd probably want to start the two years again with my full effort in something very academic, i have this fresh energy to just get my studying done in case my dreams of becoming a travelling artist don't take off as planned i know its hard work in both lanes but i just don't know, ill turn 19 in september so i doubt colleges will even give me funding. Is there any hope for me I'm getting depressed from this i feel like a failure.
Of course there is hope for you! Just take things one step at time with the knowledge that getting where you want will be a slow but worthwhile process.
Reply 2
if youre really struggling and want to start over, try easier subjects, as an A* in an easy subject is valued more by unis than a D in a harder subject, unfortunately, because you have to remember most uni courses don't require specific A levels, just grades.

Dont give up, my mum started a business-ish thing by asking her friend to put some of her art in his shop to sell, and she's just made an etsy shop. If you need to, go to pound shops etc, buy your materials, then sell in upper class areas, maybe even getting customers to choose what to pay. If you dont know anyone, just go into a shop and ask if they'll sell your work, they may charge you, but then you can raise your prices.

If you want help starting a business, check out Biggabusiness, I work with their other half, Biggafish, organising events, but it will be good if you need funding and mentoring....
Original post by ZoëC
if youre really struggling and want to start over, try easier subjects, as an A* in an easy subject is valued more by unis than a D in a harder subject, unfortunately, because you have to remember most uni courses don't require specific A levels, just grades.

Dont give up, my mum started a business-ish thing by asking her friend to put some of her art in his shop to sell, and she's just made an etsy shop. If you need to, go to pound shops etc, buy your materials, then sell in upper class areas, maybe even getting customers to choose what to pay. If you dont know anyone, just go into a shop and ask if they'll sell your work, they may charge you, but then you can raise your prices.

If you want help starting a business, check out Biggabusiness, I work with their other half, Biggafish, organising events, but it will be good if you need funding and mentoring....

What would you consider easier subjects? Trying to choose my A Levels and I'm curious.
Reply 4
Original post by hazelsulli
What would you consider easier subjects? Trying to choose my A Levels and I'm curious.

well it partly depends on you, e.g if you're a human calculator, do maths, if you can recall absolutely anything and everything you've learnt, exams should be easier than coursework for you. Subjects that you look at and think 'I could get a distinction or A in that' are ones to consider, bearing in mind your interests. Look at uni courses you might like, check if theres anything you need to study, even if you don't study it, you could do a foundation year to catch up.

If you feel a subject will be too hard, dont be discouraged, give it a shot, I reckon the old system was good as it gave you the chance to get used to the system, then retake a year, then do well because you had a head start.

I do English lit, biology, core maths and psychology. I regret picking lit, philosophy wouldve been easier and more interesting. I can ask friends about other subjects but do you know what you'd like to study?
Original post by ZoëC
well it partly depends on you, e.g if you're a human calculator, do maths, if you can recall absolutely anything and everything you've learnt, exams should be easier than coursework for you. Subjects that you look at and think 'I could get a distinction or A in that' are ones to consider, bearing in mind your interests. Look at uni courses you might like, check if theres anything you need to study, even if you don't study it, you could do a foundation year to catch up.

If you feel a subject will be too hard, dont be discouraged, give it a shot, I reckon the old system was good as it gave you the chance to get used to the system, then retake a year, then do well because you had a head start.

I do English lit, biology, core maths and psychology. I regret picking lit, philosophy wouldve been easier and more interesting. I can ask friends about other subjects but do you know what you'd like to study?

I'm moving from the Irish education system to A Levels so a lot of the subjects on offer aren't available in Ireland.

I'm thinking Psychology, History and Politics. But I'm not 100% certain.

Quick Reply

Latest