The Student Room Group

TSA doing 5/3/1.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSA
Do you have any idea what's going on with this university championships. It was suppose to be in feb but now in march and what requirements you need to compete in it. So poorly organised it's unbelievable.

Mass is atrociously organised lol. Details in the next month or so hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Mass is atrociously organised lol. Details in the next month or so hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's not mass. Mass have an national comp in feb. But there is an actual university championships planned to be held at cambridge on the 12th march which is organised by the gbpf and has no affiliation with mass
Original post by TSA
No it's not mass. Mass have an national comp in feb. But there is an actual university championships planned to be held at cambridge on the 12th march which is organised by the gbpf and has no affiliation with mass

Oh I see. No idea sorry :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSA
I do standard 531 then heavy singles depending on how I feel (I can usually tell if Im feeling strong from the 531 sets and warm up if I feel like crap Ill just leave it)

then either 5 x 5 at slightly higher weight or 5 x10 at slightly lower weight depending on how I'm feeling (Will be doing 5x5 consistently now as I get more out of it and will help me measure my progress better if I just stick to one).

Then superseded accessories for 5x10

Pretty much the same for deadlifts.

I bench twice a week and got my friend to program my bench for me.

How close are your singles to your 1RMs?

Are you still using 5/3/1 for bench at all?
Original post by Implication
How close are your singles to your 1RMs?

Are you still using 5/3/1 for bench at all?

They are PRs well have been I've only been doing it recently, for 2/3 weeks.

No bench is completely different programming
BENCH DAY

Wide Grip Paused Bench press:Heavy singles, 65kg 3sets 7reps (Got 85kg single and 9 reps last set)
Then did some overload work with slingshot (90kg double then 95kg single)

Close grip bench press:60kg 3sets 7reps (9 reps last set)

Wide grip Pull ups:3sets to failure (10-10-8)

Bentover Rows: 60kg4sets 10reps

Wide Grip Cable Rows:3sets 12reps

Cable pushdowns:3sets 15reps

Barbell Curls: 3sets12reps

I go AMRAP on last set of bench and variation of bench.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TSA

I know a guy that helped there last year I'll ask him Thursday. Remind me Thursday evening if I don't come back with some answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really apologise to anybody that follows this for the inconsistent updates, but sometimes I have 9-6 at uni then go straight to the gym come back and fall asleep reading notes. I just about have enough time to eat let alone update this.
But anyway I hit a 165 single the other week after an AMRAP at 130 or 135 can't remember which I got 8 reps in.

Peaking has started so the programme is a little different none of those disgusting AMRAP sets or sets of 10 anymore. Yeeeeee!

Yesterdays Squat session (Heavy squats and some very light deads)
Warm up
120 x 3
130 x 3
140 x 3
150 x 3
157.5 x 3 (Depth was just above for rep 1 and rep 2 and 3 was perfect Id say which is where I want it to be)

Then 4 x 2 (2 second paused) at 120 squats

Then 6 x 2 (speed work ripping it off the floor like an animal and resetting each rep) at 120 deadlifts

Got a video on my insta for anybody that wants a sneaky peak. Drop me a PM and Ill send you the link to my insta, gotta get them likes yeeeeee

Oh yeah and competition is on February 27th so 4 weeks out therefore 3 weeks of training left. Its greater london Bethnal Green if anybody is about and wants to come.

Numbers will either be 175-92.5-200 or 180-95-205 (these are top numbers I'm aiming for depends on day and how well I peak etc)
(edited 8 years ago)
You coming to the uni competition in cambridge too? There's more info out for that now
You coming to the uni competition in cambridge too? There's more info out for that now

Depends when it is, will probably come to spectate. Don't have a uni team to compete with unfortunately.
Original post by TSA
Depends when it is, will probably come to spectate. Don't have a uni team to compete with unfortunately.

There are teams, but you can compete as an individual too as long as you're at uni as far as I'm aware. 12/3/15 is the date :smile:
There are teams, but you can compete as an individual too as long as you're at uni as far as I'm aware. 12/3/15 is the date :smile:

That's too close too my other comp unfortunately. Next year hopefully.
Week 2 of peaking for my the meet. (Just got this week and next week left then gonna take the week before comp off to rest)

Squats worked up to a heavy double of 167.5. First attempt missed second rep as I rushed it and never got tight and braced up against belt. So got really pissed off (Like really really pissed off) and told myself I am not leaving that gym until I get it so manned up and went for the second attempt and got it. Second rep was a grinder but still got it.
Did some light paused squats 120x3x2 for 2 second pause after then some speed DLs at 120x5x2. And called it a day.

Feeling good. Wasn't expecting that considering I've been ill since friday. Still got a cough but generally feel well.
Todays bench

77.5 - 7x1 (7 singles) 5 second paused
70 x 2 x 5 touch n go
tricep pushdowns 3 x 15
pull ups 3 sets (each set to failure)
dumbbell rows 5x12 (pyramid)
dumbbell curls 5x12 (pyramid)
Weighed in at 74.5 this morning. I bought loads of chocolate the other day because it was on offer but I can't eat it because I have no self control and if I have one it will lead to another, then another next think you know I'm competing in 105kg class. But it's torture. ****ing torture.
I'm trying to smell it through the wrapper. 2 more weeks left. Competition is on 27th. Todays a rest day.
Original post by TSA
Weighed in at 74.5 this morning. I bought loads of chocolate the other day because it was on offer but I can't eat it because I have no self control and if I have one it will lead to another, then another next think you know I'm competing in 105kg class. But it's torture. ****ing torture.
I'm trying to smell it through the wrapper. 2 more weeks left. Competition is on 27th. Todays a rest day.

74kg class I assume? Be strong brother. Take it with you and smash it after Weigh in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
74kg class I assume? Be strong brother. Take it with you and smash it after Weigh in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah 74 class.
Did bench yesterday
Bench 82.5 x 2 2 2 2
Spoto bench 70x 2 2 2 2
Pull ups 3 amrap set
Dumbbell rows pyramid 5 sets
Dumbbell curls pyramid 5 sets

Today was deadlifts
Squats 120 x 2 2 2 2
Deadlifts 157.5 x 2, 167.5 x 2, 177.5 x 2, 187.5 x 2, 195 x 2
Stiff leg deadlift 120 x 8 8 8
One week of training left.
Then taking a week off.
Then competition on Feb 27th.

Dieting is going well. 74.4kg this morning.
Original post by TSA
Did bench yesterday
Bench 82.5 x 2 2 2 2
Spoto bench 70x 2 2 2 2
Pull ups 3 amrap set
Dumbbell rows pyramid 5 sets
Dumbbell curls pyramid 5 sets

Today was deadlifts
Squats 120 x 2 2 2 2
Deadlifts 157.5 x 2, 167.5 x 2, 177.5 x 2, 187.5 x 2, 195 x 2
Stiff leg deadlift 120 x 8 8 8

Goode deadlift.

Have you looked at last years results to see where about you might place?

What lifts are you hoping for ?

Quick Reply

Latest