The Student Room Group

What is System Software Dev A level?

This is one of our options for A levels, that we need to give in on monday, and it wasn't explained to us at all. Is it a stronger A level to do alongside Physics and Maths, and possibly have study something to do with using computers than Digital Technology (ICT)?

I got an A in my ICT mock, would it be to hard to go from GCSE ICT and not Computing?
Reply 1
It's basically programming (coding), so you'll be coding your own programs that run on your computer. ICT and SSD are actually not that similar at all, so getting an A in GCSE ICT won't really give you a great idea of how you'll do in SSD.

It is definitely a great A Level to have, though, given how important technology has become, as well as the need for programmers to make that technology work. SSD will be hard at first, but you'll get the hang of it if you practice coding enough :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AdderDee
It's basically programming (coding), so you'll be coding your own programs that run on your computer. ICT and SSD are actually not that similar at all, so getting an A in GCSE ICT won't really give you a great idea of how you'll do in SSD.

It is definitely a great A Level to have, though, given how important technology has become, as well as the need for programmers to make that technology work. SSD will be hard at first, but you'll get the hang of it if you practice coding enough :smile:

Would it be best to choose ICT if I plan to do Physics and Maths as well, will there be a lot of theory to it? I've been told Physics, and maths A level are already a challenge. Computers and coding is something I would be interested in, but it may be to difficult to completely start it now, alongside Physics and Maths a level. Also, is it nearly the same as computer science, that isn't an option for A level, does it replace it?

I also plan to possibly do Technology, and Design, as a forth AS choice. I will be dropping one of them before A2 probably, as our school has recommended to our year. I will prob do this with Tech and design.
I would take it with Maths and Physics, never instead, although if it is what you could be into, try it and if you don't like it, drop it and change to another subject.
Reply 4
Original post by namedperson
This is one of our options for A levels, that we need to give in on monday, and it wasn't explained to us at all. Is it a stronger A level to do alongside Physics and Maths, and possibly have study something to do with using computers than Digital Technology (ICT)?

I got an A in my ICT mock, would it be to hard to go from GCSE ICT and not Computing?

Sorry - but it is probably a waste of time A level. Most of these "modern" long worded A level titles are. Stick with the traditional academic subjects - maths, further maths, physics, chemistry etc. etc. The top universities will not look favourably on many of these new fangled A levels. They aren't sure of the standard they are taught to - they aren't familiar with the capabilities of the people doing them and whatever they teach will take up a month of time on a similar course when you get to university.

Quick Reply

Latest