The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unknown_12345
Hey Guys! I can't believe that it's already our turn next!

GCSE: 10A*S and 1B (damn you English Lit)
A-Levels: Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and Religious Studies, predicted grades not yet given

WorkExperience: 1 week at GP practice, 2 weeks at 2 different hospitals, 1 week with a charity in India, 1 week shadowing an Indian GP in a rural village.
Volunteering: Acorns hospice volunteer, Oxfam charity shop volunteer, 1 week with Vitalise, and hopefully a nursing home volunteer if my application is successful!
Extra: St John Ambulance cadet, summer job at a GP practise, Bronze and Gold DofE, violin, choir, help at an outreach programme at school, elected for sixth form committee, science mentor for younger year students, frequent organiser of charity events at school.

Please be honest, according to my stats,where would be best for me, and on a scale of 1 to 10 (increasing strength), how strong would you say my application is? Can i apply to Unis like oxbridge, Birmingham? Sorry for all the questions!! :colondollar:

Thank you guys!!Xx :smile:

Hi!

Firstly, your stats are amazing and you seem really prepared for uni applications haha, you should be proud 👍 the amount of volunteering you do is definitely really impressive and your work experience is a lot more than universities are looking for - so long as you can talk about it "reflectively" that's all they seem to want!

Especially for Oxbridge, your ASs (if you're doing them at the end of the year). Have to be really good.. Other than that I've heard a lot about Oxbridge not caring much about things other than your academic record - but definitely make sure you keep up extra curricular for other med schools!

Obviously then it depends on UKCAT and BMAT and your interview - up to you where you want to apply but again make sure you've done your research and visited the place.. I'm actually quite scared I'll pick badly and end up with universities I won't feasibly get into or I'll end up hating over my 5/6 years there in one town!

Keep it up!! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unknown_12345
Hey Guys! I can't believe that it's already our turn next!

GCSE: 10A*S and 1B (damn you English Lit)
A-Levels: Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and Religious Studies, predicted grades not yet given

WorkExperience: 1 week at GP practice, 2 weeks at 2 different hospitals, 1 week with a charity in India, 1 week shadowing an Indian GP in a rural village.
Volunteering: Acorns hospice volunteer, Oxfam charity shop volunteer, 1 week with Vitalise, and hopefully a nursing home volunteer if my application is successful!
Extra: St John Ambulance cadet, summer job at a GP practise, Bronze and Gold DofE, violin, choir, help at an outreach programme at school, elected for sixth form committee, science mentor for younger year students, frequent organiser of charity events at school.

Please be honest, according to my stats,where would be best for me, and on a scale of 1 to 10 (increasing strength), how strong would you say my application is? Can i apply to Unis like oxbridge, Birmingham? Sorry for all the questions!! :colondollar:

Thank you guys!!Xx :smile:

Wow!

You have such an amazing profile!

Although, saying that, I don't think you can actually apply to Birmingham, due to the B in English Lit (It seems to be the only university that asks for A* in it, how typical is that?), but you'd be safe for anywhere else as long as you get the good AS level grades and UKCAT/BMAT scores, so just look around the universities that you like for now, then make a choice!
You want to be somewhere you like, and you definitely have a lot of choice :u:
Hey everyone
GCSE: 5A*4A 1B
AS Mocks: Bio chem physics maths AAAA ( Hopefully I'll get these at the end of the year)
Work experience: 1 week at hospital 1 week at a dental surgery 4 weeks of work experience at 2 different hospitals scheduled for this summer
Volunteering: 4 months at bernardos, from sept 2015 to present at peace hospice shop and hopefully starting at a head injury support centre in a couple of weeks.
Some other stuff : house and sixth form captain, tutor younger students maths and chemistry, help out years 7's in a buddy scheme run by my school and I'm a chair of charity committee.

How do you think my profile looks so far, any suggestions about some other extra curriculars or do you think I've got enough and finally where do you think i should apply since I'm not too sure that my GCSE are that competitive compared to other peoples.

thanks you guys and good luck next year, may the odds be ever in your favour :colondollar:
Original post by Gogregg
Wow!

You have such an amazing profile!

Although, saying that, I don't think you can actually apply to Birmingham, due to the B in English Lit (It seems to be the only university that asks for A* in it, how typical is that?), but you'd be safe for anywhere else as long as you get the good AS level grades and UKCAT/BMAT scores, so just look around the universities that you like for now, then make a choice!
You want to be somewhere you like, and you definitely have a lot of choice :u:

I'm almost certain that isn't true (I mean minimum of A* in English Lit). For this year's entry anyway, the minimum requirement in English Lit at Birmingham was a B grade at GCSE. Is that information from their website?
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
I'm almost certain that isn't true (I mean minimum of A* in English Lit). For this year's entry anyway, the minimum requirement in English Lit at Birmingham was a B grade at GCSE. Is that information from their website?

I'm pretty certain I got that from the website. Although, Looking back on it now, I have no idea where from!

You're right though! No idea where I've got that information from :s-smilie: (SO SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION CAUSED!).
Looking at the website now, @Unknown_12345 you can definitely apply to Bham! Although, you will be expected to get a higher UKCAT score to compensate for the B (http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/medicine.aspx?OpenSection=EntryRequirements), but it will be definitely possible for you to get in :h:
'm currently doing AS maths, biology, chemistry and history. I am aware I need to work 100% harder than at GCSE to get to medicine but I was wondering which places I should avoid applying/lean towards or if it's even possible to do medicine?
For GCSE I got Maths A*
Double award science A*A*
English Lang A
Lit B
Irish A
Business studies A
ICT(short course) A
Religious studies A
Hospitality B (coursework in school marked wrong, everyone's grades brought down)
(I am overall achiever at GCSE which I was told would help? Secondary not grammar)
Doing all my research now so any help appreciated
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Leontia123
'm currently doing AS maths, biology, chemistry and history. I am aware I need to work 100% harder than at GCSE to get to medicine but I was wondering which places I should avoid applying/lean towards or if it's even possible to do medicine?
For GCSE I got Maths A*
Double award science A*A*
English Lang A
Lit B
Irish A
Business studies A
ICT(short course) A
Religious studies A
Hospitality B (coursework in school marked wrong, everyone's grades brought down)
(I am overall achiever at GCSE which I was told would help? Secondary not grammar)
Doing all my research now so any help appreciated

you got exactly the same grades as me at gcse
Original post by Gogregg
I'm pretty certain I got that from the website. Although, Looking back on it now, I have no idea where from!

You're right though! No idea where I've got that information from :s-smilie: (SO SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION CAUSED!).
Looking at the website now, @Unknown_12345 you can definitely apply to Bham! Although, you will be expected to get a higher UKCAT score to compensate for the B (http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/medicine.aspx?OpenSection=EntryRequirements), but it will be definitely possible for you to get in :h:

Haha no worries. I applied to Birmingham this year and didn't know about that so you had me for a second there! But yeah, check all the requirements scrupulously.
Original post by Gogregg
Although, Looking back on it now, I have no idea where from!

It used to be the case that they required an A* in either GCSE English Language or Literature, but it looks like that's been removed now.
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Haha no worries. I applied to Birmingham this year and didn't know about that so you had me for a second there! But yeah, check all the requirements scrupulously.

Will do! I'm not about getting rejected for a silly reasons :colondollar:
Original post by usycool1
It used to be the case that they required an A* in either GCSE English Language or Literature, but it looks like that's been removed now.

That would be what it was!

yet again, sorry for any confusion :s-smilie:
Original post by Christina1999H
Hi!

Firstly, your stats are amazing and you seem really prepared for uni applications haha, you should be proud 👍 the amount of volunteering you do is definitely really impressive and your work experience is a lot more than universities are looking for - so long as you can talk about it "reflectively" that's all they seem to want!

Especially for Oxbridge, your ASs (if you're doing them at the end of the year). Have to be really good.. Other than that I've heard a lot about Oxbridge not caring much about things other than your academic record - but definitely make sure you keep up extra curricular for other med schools!

Obviously then it depends on UKCAT and BMAT and your interview - up to you where you want to apply but again make sure you've done your research and visited the place.. I'm actually quite scared I'll pick badly and end up with universities I won't feasibly get into or I'll end up hating over my 5/6 years there in one town!

Keep it up!! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok thank you so much!! where are you looking to apply?
Original post by Gogregg
Will do! I'm not about getting rejected for a silly reasons :colondollar:

That would be what it was!

yet again, sorry for any confusion :s-smilie:

it's fine, no worries!! thank you for the info!!
I'm currently in year 11. I am doing triple science and did core and double last year. I didn't do too well as I should have done ( purely because I didn't take it serious enough). I got Bb for biology AA chemistry and BB for physics. AA overall At the end will I have to show the sciences individually when applying for uni or just as core double and triple. If I have to do individual,like bio chem and Phy do u think I should then retake them. I am predicted A* for triple and I am doing well in mocks.
Original post by Muhammad25
I'm currently in year 11. I am doing triple science and did core and double last year. I didn't do too well as I should have done ( purely because I didn't take it serious enough). I got Bb for biology AA chemistry and BB for physics. AA overall At the end will I have to show the sciences individually when applying for uni or just as core double and triple. If I have to do individual,like bio chem and Phy do u think I should then retake them. I am predicted A* for triple and I am doing well in mocks.

You won't have to put the individual grades :h:
If you think you can push up your grades to A*s, then go for it! But don't put too much pressure on yourself, AA is still very good in double science :u:
Original post by Muhammad25

I think it depends on your school and the exam board. When I did GCSE science even though it was split into core, additional and triple. On my GCSE certificate it was written as Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I think the best thing to do is to speak to your school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone! Wow it is so scary but also exciting that we are applying to unis this year 😧 Anyone else so excited? Anyway, I have absolutely no idea what universities I want to apply for, I have never really thought about it too much.. These are my stats:

GCSE Grades: 10 A* 3As
AS Predictions: AAAAb (damn general studies!)
A2: A*A*AA (rough guide we got from some computer predictor)
Work Experience: One week hospital work experience on stroke ward, GapMedics shadowing placement abroad, Work experience at local hospice, a month experience working with disabled children in Brazil, A year volunteering at sue ryder charity shop, applied for hospital volunteering now I am 17 and starting shadowing my GP in half term.
Hobbies etc: Guiding for 10 years, ballet and gymnastics for 7 years, did, STEM club, was on 3 sports teams, photography, reading etc (I quit most of my commitments before GCSEs, hoping to be a prefect and do sone other things next year though)

I go to a public selective school if that makes any difference!

I am kind of worried about the UKCAT as the shape pattern thing has never been my strong suit, will prepare loads for that though. Looking at my stats, what unis would you guys suggest/ are realistic? I know my percentage of A* is not great, that is why im going to sweat out the admissions tests 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by isabellacappio
Hi everyone! Wow it is so scary but also exciting that we are applying to unis this year 😧 Anyone else so excited? Anyway, I have absolutely no idea what universities I want to apply for, I have never really thought about it too much.. These are my stats:

GCSE Grades: 10 A* 3As
AS Predictions: AAAAb (damn general studies!)
A2: A*A*AA (rough guide we got from some computer predictor)
Work Experience: One week hospital work experience on stroke ward, GapMedics shadowing placement abroad, Work experience at local hospice, a month experience working with disabled children in Brazil, A year volunteering at sue ryder charity shop, applied for hospital volunteering now I am 17 and starting shadowing my GP in half term.
Hobbies etc: Guiding for 10 years, ballet and gymnastics for 7 years, did, STEM club, was on 3 sports teams, photography, reading etc (I quit most of my commitments before GCSEs, hoping to be a prefect and do sone other things next year though)

I go to a public selective school if that makes any difference!

I am kind of worried about the UKCAT as the shape pattern thing has never been my strong suit, will prepare loads for that though. Looking at my stats, what unis would you guys suggest/ are realistic? I know my percentage of A* is not great, that is why im going to sweat out the admissions tests 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exact same stats as you :smile: People keep pushing me away from Oxford considering the % of A* being low, but other universities don't pay that much attention to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by helloitsmee
Exact same stats as you :smile: People keep pushing me away from Oxford considering the % of A* being low, but other universities don't pay that much attention to that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, that is good then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone, here are my stats aha:

GCSEs: 1A 10A*(screw you German lol)
As Predictions: bio, chem, maths, physics AAAA (A* EPQ hopefully too).......(although currently on track for a C in physics though- might even fail at this rate :s-smilie:)
Work experience: 1 week lab work; 1 week hospital shadowing; weekly care home visits.
Volunteering: 3 months children's library work; 3 years girl guiding young leader; 1 week respite care; numerous girl guiding residentials. Year 11 tutor.
Extra curricular: Currently doing silver LAMDA; gold DofE; netball; guiding; running; prefect; peer mentor, young enterprise etc.

I'm really worried about my lack of work experience but hoping that volunteering makes up for it? idk...
Original post by elena2710
Hey everyone, here are my stats aha:

GCSEs: 1A 10A*(screw you German lol)
As Predictions: bio, chem, maths, physics AAAA (A* EPQ hopefully too).......(although currently on track for a C in physics though- might even fail at this rate :s-smilie:)
Work experience: 1 week lab work; 1 week hospital shadowing; weekly care home visits.
Volunteering: 3 months children's library work; 3 years girl guiding young leader; 1 week respite care; numerous girl guiding residentials. Year 11 tutor.
Extra curricular: Currently doing silver LAMDA; gold DofE; netball; guiding; running; prefect; peer mentor, young enterprise etc.

I'm really worried about my lack of work experience but hoping that volunteering makes up for it? idk...

You've got 2 weeks of work experience! That's enough for most, if not all need schools.

I'm actually struggling to get any. I'm just hoping that my pilgrimage to Lourdes where i will hopefully be helping in hospitals will count as some! Although I'm definitely meeting a doctor to talk about stiff and to get an 'extensive tour' around the hospital.

Although, saying that, I'll hopefully have enough volunteer stuff by the time out comes to applying:
I'll have had two and a half years at a charity shop, hopefully a couple of months at a care home (hopefully), mentoring lower years in maths and biology and also babysitting. I'm really hoping that's enough!
I'm going to try get something at a pharmacy or opticians though, who knows how that will go, though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending