The Student Room Group

Scared of going to court over money

I am friends with my ex boyfriend but we have an ongoing situation where I gave him money to pay for his new Phone he broke and my family want to take him to court if they think he took advantage of me cuz of my mental health I don't know what to do and I'm scared I lose him as a friend if it goes to court.
(edited 8 years ago)
Then tell him to pay you the money back. If he's a friend, he will.
Original post by georgiaswift
Then tell him to pay you the money back. If he's a friend, he will.

Okay Georgia
Did you let him borrow the money or did you just give it to him. Either way especially if its borrowed maybe ask him to pay the money back. If he doesn't then maybe think about it. If you gave it to him it kinda depends on certain things.
Original post by glamourprincess
Okay Georgia

Remember that if he refuses he's clearly not a friend, because friends don't try to basically steal money. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
I can see your predicament, however, you say have problems with your mental health, so for me I think your family are simply trying to do their best to protect you.

Take the good advice given to you by Georgiaswift and you should be fine, a good friend always does the right thing.
Original post by Mancini
I can see your predicament, however, you say have problems with your mental health, so for me I think your family are simply trying to do their best to protect you.

Take the good advice given to you by Georgiaswift and you should be fine, a good friend always does the right thing.

Alright thanks Mancini
Original post by Kholmes1
Did you let him borrow the money or did you just give it to him. Either way especially if its borrowed maybe ask him to pay the money back. If he doesn't then maybe think about it. If you gave it to him it kinda depends on certain things.

Basically he told me I had to pay for his new phone Cus I made him smash it so I gave it to him but he wanted me to tell police that I offered him the money but I cannot lie to him but I did say to him I didn't want it back for my family said I should and he said he will pay me back only in small amounts
Basically he told me I had to pay for his new phone Cus I made him smash it so I gave it to him but he wanted me to tell police that I offered him the money but I cannot lie to him but I did say to him I didn't want it back for my family said I should and he said he will pay me back only in small amounts

Hes not your friend. Honestly he seems a bit of a ****. How did you make him smash it? It does sound like he is taking advantage of you so ask him for the money now or take him to court (Maybe not court but definitely try and get the money back.
Original post by Kholmes1
Hes not your friend. Honestly he seems a bit of a ****. How did you make him smash it? It does sound like he is taking advantage of you so ask him for the money now or take him to court (Maybe not court but definitely try and get the money back.

He smashed it because I kept ringing him and when I gave him the money he said he promised to talk to me again and won't let our friendship end and I will try somehow to get money back
He smashed it because I kept ringing him and when I gave him the money he said he promised to talk to me again and won't let our friendship end and I will try somehow to get money back

There's plenty of things wrong with this situation. It's clear to me that he's using you from a few facts.

- he only said he would talk to you again because you lent him money.
- he's trying not to pay you back by saying it was your fault he broke his phone. Since when have you been in control of his actions? It was his choice, not yours. This also ties in with basic psychology. Make you feel guilty so you drop the issue.
- paying you back in small amounts? He's trying not to pay you back at all tbh.
- he's manipulating you with the police saying that you offered it to him so he doesn't get in trouble. He will then not pay you back because you told the police you offered it him.

If you lent him the money, the moral thing to do is to give it you back. Phones ain't exactly cheap either. He's taking advantage of you in a vulnerable state. Your family are only trying to protect you, especially when he keeps taking advantage. That's not a true friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jammie_x
There's plenty of things wrong with this situation. It's clear to me that he's using you from a few facts.

- he's trying not to pay you back by saying it was your fault he broke his phone. Since when have you been in control of his actions? It was his choice, not yours. This also ties in with basic psychology. Make you feel guilty so you drop the issue.
- he's manipulating you with the police saying that you offered it to him so he doesn't get in trouble. He will then not pay you back because you told the police you offered it him.

If you lent him the money, the moral thing to do is to give it you back. Phones ain't exactly cheap either. He's taking advantage of you in a vulnerable state. Your family are only trying to protect you, especially when he keeps taking advantage. That's not a true friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. He doesn't seem like your friend. Get your money back.
Stop giving him money for a start.

if you have any evidence such as texts of social media conversations that say he will pay you back the money that will work in your favour in court, if it says the opposite it will work in his favour.

He is not your friend, he is taking advantage of you and I advise you after this court mess to cease all contact with him and don't try to get back into a relationship with him as you wanted to in a previous thread of yours.

This is incredibly obvious from an outsiders perspective, it seems you mental health is massively clouding your judgement.
Original post by Jammie_x

Posted from TSR Mobile

i understand thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending