The Student Room Group

Applicants from Poland

Hello,

If any of you applied to Cambridge from Poland (doing either Polish Matura or IB) or otherwise knows the answers, what are the things that colleges require beyond predictions? I am aware that transcript is required, but aside from King's, no college has published their requirements as to which elements should be included. Would "egzamin gimnazjalny" (exam taken at our equivalent of penultimate year of GCSEs with common core and no choice of subjects) and IB mock exams be enough for Cambridge? Does it vary by colleges? I would be especially interested in details for King's (as the website is not explicit enough), Trinity and St John's, but information about other colleges (or Cambridge overall) would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :-)
Reply 1
Original post by NeXT2530
Hello,

If any of you applied to Cambridge from Poland (doing either Polish Matura or IB) or otherwise knows the answers, what are the things that colleges require beyond predictions? I am aware that transcript is required, but aside from King's, no college has published their requirements as to which elements should be included. Would "egzamin gimnazjalny" (exam taken at our equivalent of penultimate year of GCSEs with common core and no choice of subjects) and IB mock exams be enough for Cambridge? Does it vary by colleges? I would be especially interested in details for King's (as the website is not explicit enough), Trinity and St John's, but information about other colleges (or Cambridge overall) would also be appreciated.

Might be best to email those specific colleges if you need a specific answer.

But for other applicants it would be normal to apply with IB predictions (from mocks), plus the recent public exam results (e.g. GCSE or equivalent).
Hello,

Hi :smile:

I am taking my Matura this year and got an offer for Engineering at St John's. As for the transcript. From what I have heard the "egzamin gimnazjalny" results sheet is not obligatory but if the results are outstanding then it is worth showing. I have send it with transcript and declared it on my UCAS application. I think there is a specific procedure for IB predictions in UCAS form. If you are taking "Matura" then your predicted results should be written in your Reference Letter, which you enclose with UCAS application

Aside from what UCAS requires, you need to complete SAQ form for Cambridge. You will need to list sections in subjects, which you have been learning for past two years (from beginning of second grade in high school till December of application year). They are needed for the interview. It is different for IB. Rest of the form is the same for every candidate. You should read about it.

Should any more questions arise, I will be happy to help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
Might be best to email those specific colleges if you need a specific answer.

But for other applicants it would be normal to apply with IB predictions (from mocks), plus the recent public exam results (e.g. GCSE or equivalent).

Thanks. Of course I am going to mail them; I've texted with one of the applicants to Trinity and he said that college was not quite sure as to which things it should require, so I know that there may not be the more universal approach to Polish students
Reply 4
Original post by HUNTER297
Hi :smile:

I am taking my Matura this year and got an offer for Engineering at St John's. As for the transcript. From what I have heard the "egzamin gimnazjalny" results sheet is not obligatory but if the results are outstanding then it is worth showing. I have send it with transcript and declared it on my UCAS application. I think there is a specific procedure for IB predictions in UCAS form. If you are taking "Matura" then your predicted results should be written in your Reference Letter, which you enclose with UCAS application

Aside from what UCAS requires, you need to complete SAQ form for Cambridge. You will need to list sections in subjects, which you have been learning for past two years (from beginning of second grade in high school till December of application year). They are needed for the interview. It is different for IB. Rest of the form is the same for every candidate. You should read about it.

Should any more questions arise, I will be happy to help :smile:

Thanks for the answer.

Do the past two years mean the 2nd and 3rd years of high school (out of 3) or 1st and 2nd? Also, aside from exam, have you send the grades from 'gimnazjum' period?
Thanks for the answer.

Do the past two years mean the 2nd and 3rd years of high school (out of 3) or 1st and 2nd? Also, aside from exam, have you send the grades from 'gimnazjum' period?

I have submitted my Leaving Certificate (swiadectwo z 3 klasy z ocenami z gimnazjum).

I have listed subjects that I will take on my matura exam and modules I have been learning from beginning of second grade in High School till December of third grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending