The Student Room Group

TSA doing 5/3/1.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R.Coleman
Goode deadlift.

Have you looked at last years results to see where about you might place?

What lifts are you hoping for ?

They changed the website halfway through last year so only have results from the June and November comp. But highest total was 440 in the 74 class. There seems to be very few competitors in the 74 class.

175/180 sq.
90/95 bn.
200/205 dl.

465/480 total.

Im thinking top 3 in 74 class is a reasonable expectation.

Weighed in at a 74.2kg this morning fully clothed.
Original post by TSA
They changed the website halfway through last year so only have results from the June and November comp. But highest total was 440 in the 74 class. There seems to be very few competitors in the 74 class.

175/180 sq.
90/95 bn.
200/205 dl.

465/480 total.

Im thinking top 3 in 74 class is a reasonable expectation.

Weighed in at a 74.2kg this morning fully clothed.

Fuark I weigh 83kg+ and you squat a good 15kg more.....Sad times. Chicken legs right here.

Good luck with the comp. Looking at that total you should place top 3 comfortably.

Is the comp tested?
Original post by R.Coleman
Fuark I weigh 83kg+ and you squat a good 15kg more.....Sad times. Chicken legs right here.

Good luck with the comp. Looking at that total you should place top 3 comfortably.

Is the comp tested?

Yeah it's tested. Always been strong in terms of lower body. Got legs like tree trunks wish I had the upper body to match though.

My bench lets me down or I could be so much more competitive.
Original post by TSA
Yeah it's tested. Always been strong in terms of lower body. Got legs like tree trunks wish I had the upper body to match though.

My bench lets me down or I could be so much more competitive.

Know this feel.
More volume is key
Very **** workout
Squat. 135-145-155-165-172.5f-165f-155-155 (Wanted to hit 172.5 for 2 singles but failed so dropped it to 165 with the aim of two singles but failed so did 155 for 2 singles)
Then 140 x 3 x 3
Then finished with 120x5x2 (literally ripping it off the floor so fast that I was losing balance cause I was so pissed after the squat session).

Pretty much finalised what I'll be going for in terms of squats at meet.

155-165-175

Weight is 74.0kg.

This was last night. Had to do a lot of apologising cause I told pretty much everyone who tried to talk to me after that dire squat session to go **** themselves. Still pretty pissed about it if I'm honest. ****
(edited 8 years ago)
Volume bench
75 x 5 x 3 with competition calls
60 x 3 x8 comp calls too

3 x 12 tricep pushdowns
3 x amrap pull ups

3x12 dumbbell rows (pyramid up)
3x12 dumbbell curls (pyramid up)

Relatively easy smooth moving day. Helped confidence after that dire squat day yesterday.
Day off tomorrow. Heavy bench friday then heavy deads saturday. Then probably hit some light warm up level work on Tuesday before competing on the following saturday.
Competition is on Saturday. Currently water loading 10 litres a day. Running to the toilet every 15-30 minutes, lectures are fun.

Morning bw =73.3

Numbers I'm hoping for 175-90/92.5-200

Kinda nervous, kinda hungry, kinda waiting to stuff my face with cheat food.

Also some positive news got a pre reg interview at boots which I really wasn't expecting so hopefully this is the start of some good luck and it transfers into the meet.

Anybody know how to wash a singlet?
Original post by TSA
Competition is on Saturday. Currently water loading 10 litres a day. Running to the toilet every 15-30 minutes, lectures are fun.

Morning bw =73.3

Also some positive news got a pre reg interview at boots which I really wasn't expecting so hopefully this is the start of some good luck and it transfers into the meet.

74 kg weight class? You don't need to be water loading at all... ??????

Just wash it low temperature, hand wash if you want or just machine at a low temp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSA

Morning bw =73.3

You a pharmacy student? Represent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
74 kg weight class? You don't need to be water loading at all... ??????

Just wash it low temperature, hand wash if you want or just machine at a low temp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im a bit worried that my scales are off. As I've weighed myself at the gym and I've been 1kg over. So more of a contingency measure than anything else.
Original post by RobJ93
You a pharmacy student? Represent

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Thought you knew. In the words of my friend "plates over pills"
Original post by TSA
Yeah. Thought you knew. In the words of my friend "plates over pills"

I probably did know but since forgot ha.
Good luck with pre-reg interview (and the meet)
So did my first proper meet yesterday.

Day started off very early so went to bed like 4pm on friday to be awake for 3am on Saturday. Train was for half 5 and got there for 8.30am. Weighed in post water cut at 72.2kg. (Turns out home scales are 0.6kg off bought them with me to see how accurate they are)

Squats (155-155-162.5): Didn't go off to the best start. Opened with 155 and shuffled foot slightly after squat command resulted in no lift (2 reds and one white). So second attempt reattempted it, could have upped weight as speed was good and weight felt easy but was worried about bombing out. Second attempted nailed 155 perfect lift 3 whites. Third attempt went 162.5 and 3 white lights. Didn't go there with the intention of winning just putting in a good total and get some experience. Next meet I'll go in wanting to win. For comparison gym PR was 167.5 for a single then double. So about 170/172.5 1rm I'd say.

Bench (80-85-87.5): Nailed all 3 lifts but damn those pauses were looooong. Felt like 2 seconds if not 3. Genuinely thought he forgot about the command on the third attempt felt like the bar was paused for forever. Again could have pushed 90 but judging from the lengths of the pause decided to play it conservatively.

Deadlift(175-187.5-195): All 3 were good lift. Again could have pushed 3rd attempt and got 200 but decided to go conservative. The failed squat attempt really threw me all the way to the end mentally. Plus I was so tired by the end it was unreal. Form on each rep was perfect and speed was great.

Generally was pretty proud of myself, didn't rush the lifts which I have a tendency to do when I get psyched up and forget to get into proper position and tighten up.

Came 4th out of 8. So not bad for a first meet. Totalled 445 knowing some strength was left in the bag. Got 8/9. But was a great experience and only see myself going up from here. Really helped having a friend there who knew what he was doing, helped me with warming up, deciding attempts etc. Missed out third place by 10kg. Which I definitely had but it happens. Next time I'll place.

What I will be doing going forward:
1. Permanent switch to sumo (range of motion say whaaaaat?!)
2. Slightly widen squat stance.
3. Total 500. 185-100-215.
4. Friend wants me to go to All Englands with him but contemplating hitting one more divisional competition before doing anything nationally maybe in December or sometime near the end of the year or early next year then hit up some type of national competition in 2017.
5. Sort out this goddamn poverty bench and develop some kind of upper body.
6. Switching programming to one that has a lot more volume. (Bench 3x a week and squats and deads 2x a week)
Good showing, you'll be better next time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great effort. Missing first squat attempt is very tough mentally. Good call with retaking the weight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats on the performance.

Go all England. It's a great run comp.

I won't be competing since its a few weeks after my wedding but I may come along to support a few people I know
It's been a while took some time off because of exams, then had to work back up to previous 1rm numbers
Hit a mock meet today:
Sq. 165 Bnch. 97.5 Deadlift 190

5kg increase in squat (previous 1rm was with knee sleeves was 160) But todays 165 was without sleeves I just forgot to wear them but hitting 5kg PR without sleeves is good. Went for 170 got stuck in the whole think I sunk it a little too deep.

7.5kg increase in bench (Previous 1rm was 90 after exams) I've been running smolov jr with a stupid amount of accesories

Lost 10kg in deadlift. No idea why, maybe because I'm just weak. So gonna look at my deadlift programming and adjust. Happy with bench and squat PRs though. 200 is usually a good easy pull for me. but couldn't break it off the floor today.
(edited 7 years ago)
Bench day 2
Bench TNG 72.5x7x5 (Last set 8 reps felt had more but left it because no spotter)

Pull ups BWx3x6

Dumbbell Rows 26x3x12

Tricep pushdowns 21.25x3x15

Dips BWx3x8

Dumbbell curls 12x3x12

Fixed bar curls 17.5x3x15

Lat pull down 26x3x12

Cable one arm tricep extensions 6.25x3x12
Lol, I thought this forum was for the Oxford's Thinking Skills Assessment and not a fitness blog. Good read though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Lol, I thought this forum was for the Oxford's Thinking Skills Assessment and not a fitness blog. Good read though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: This isn't the actual GradeAunderA right? I love that guy some of his newer content isn't as good as his older the stuff. The manly drinks one had me in tears.

Quick Reply

Latest