The Student Room Group

Help for open day costs??

My friend said that she thinks there's some kind of government grant that could help with my expenses for a trip to the University of Exeter for an Offer-Holder Open Day... Does anyone know anything about this? I contacted Exeter and they said that they only offer financial support for accessing open days at the Penryn Campus (my open day isn't there).

I live ages away, and I can't work so I share money with my mum, who is also disabled and can't work... So I'm not exactly loaded, and to get a train that takes me to Exeter in time (and one back home) I'll need to pay over £100. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by redinthegrey
My friend said that she thinks there's some kind of government grant that could help with my expenses for a trip to the University of Exeter for an Offer-Holder Open Day... Does anyone know anything about this? I contacted Exeter and they said that they only offer financial support for accessing open days at the Penryn Campus (my open day isn't there).

I live ages away, and I can't work so I share money with my mum, who is also disabled and can't work... So I'm not exactly loaded, and to get a train that takes me to Exeter in time (and one back home) I'll need to pay over £100. :tongue:

As far as as I'm aware no such thing exists, its up to the discretion of the university. If Exeter say no its worth asking your school or college, although bare in mind with the current squeeze on finances they may not be able to help either.
I know with my uni theres no help available for open day costs or anything like that purely because everyone would start claiming they couldn't afford it and it would cost the uni too much =/

I wasn't aware of such a government grant but have you tried asking your school? I can't promise they'll have the funds but I think mine (which was a state school) had a small hardship fund.
Original post by Jackieox
I know with my uni theres no help available for open day costs or anything like that purely because everyone would start claiming they couldn't afford it and it would cost the uni too much =/

Right but tbf like... you could make the same argument for other financial support given by unis... Several unis do have funds for open day costs. Bath does, for example... I don't know what uni you go to though, obviously some unis are richer than others
Right but tbf like... you could make the same argument for other financial support given by unis... Several unis do have funds for open day costs. Bath does, for example... I don't know what uni you go to though, obviously some unis are richer than others

I kinda meant it in a way that it's a bit of a gamble spending money on someone who might not even pick that uni.. the grants are different
I thought that your only option would be for the uni to fund it, which I know some definitely do so if they won't you might just have to accept not going, it won't be the end fo the world to miss it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending