The Student Room Group

university open days

hello everyone!
i would love to attend university open days, but traveling across the country is very expensive for my family. anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Some Unis will have funds (email them) - your school might as well (ask them).

Alternatively, look at campus tour films etc on YouTube or the Uni's own website - you might find some of that Un's subject presentations online as well. Most Unis will hold some sort of 'visit day' once you have an offer and at that point you might just want to go to your potential Firm and Insurance choices.
Original post by sarahbery
hello everyone!
i would love to attend university open days, but traveling across the country is very expensive for my family. anyone have any advice?

Firstly if cost is that much of a consideration then ask yourself do you want to go to a university that far away.

What you could do is split open days into 2 periods.. 1 In May/June and the other i September/October. You could leave a couple for visit days in Feb/March. You can use online open days to limit the number of open days you need to attend and then only use universities you seriously want to go to.

In terms of travel you can use coaches to travel as these tend to be fairly cheap and booking in advance saves money.
hello everyone!

Hi @sarahbery, that's great that you want to attend open days! They're the best way to decide which university is best for you! Some universities will offer a travel bursary to prospective students in support of their travel costs. For example, here at Salford University we offer £15 for students travelling from Greater Manchester and £40 for students travelling from further afield. The best way to get this information is from a given university's dedicated open day page, normally under the travel section. Otherwise, there are lots of online resources you can look at such as virtual campus tours and online subject talks.

I hope this helps, and good luck in your university search!
Jonny
University of Salford Rep
hello everyone!

Hey @sarahbery, how are you? :smile:

It's great to hear you'd love to find more information about universities. I'd recommend interacting with current students online by using unibuddy, you can find out from them what it's really like to be a student at that uni, and ask any burning questions you have about that course.

Like others have said, I would also recommend taking a look at university's virtual tours on their website, all from the comfort of your own home! Check out the facilities, lecture rooms, city, places to chill and study on campus, food and drink places etc.

Take a look at uni's social media accounts, like Instagram, Facebook and YouTube. You'll be able to find student stories, campus highlights and virtual tours.

You could also reach out to the university's admissions team or academic departments, the teams will be able to provide you with any additional info, answer questions, and connect you with current students or faculty members who may be able to share their experiences.

Check if there are any local college fairs or university exhibitions happening near you. These events often bring representatives from multiple universities to one location, allowing you to gather information and ask questions without the need for long-distance travel.

By exploring virtual resources, reaching out to university representatives, and connecting with current students, you can still gather the necessary information to make an informed decision about your future education. I wish you the very best of luck with your decisions and university journey! :smile:

Becky
hello everyone!

Hi there @sarahbery,

Great to hear that you are looking to attend some open days, they are a great way to get a feel of what life will be like for you at university. You can also attend what's called a virtual open week which we here at UCLan are hosting from 4-6 July, this allows you to explore your future options without leaving the comfort of your home. You can learn more about our virtual open week here. :smile:

If you have any questions I will more than happy to help answer them.
All the best,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending