The Student Room Group

City University: PGDip in Adult Nursing

Has anyone else applied for the PG Diploma in Adult Nursing at City? Any replies or offers?

Was just wondering mostly if anyone has any advice for the tests or interview? I haven't had a reply yet, but they did email me asking if I would like to be considered to the PGDip (I originally applied for the BSc) so I feel fairly confident I'll at least get to the interview stage since they haven't immediately rejected me. Hoping I'm not wrong!! :smile:
Reply 1
You've probably had the interview by now! That's great that they have offered you Pg Dip, what degree did you do? The interview for me was one to one and it was pretty much like a casual conversation because they just anted to know you and for you to show off your best attributes. Of course you need to confidence and explain what motivates you as a person to want to be a nurse the questions were straight forward and not out to trick you. I don't want post answers because this would give unfair advantage but its exactly like a generic job interview. If you were the employer what would you want from the potential employee. What experiences do you have etc.
Reply 2
Original post by LIzzieWoo
You've probably had the interview by now! That's great that they have offered you Pg Dip, what degree did you do? The interview for me was one to one and it was pretty much like a casual conversation because they just anted to know you and for you to show off your best attributes. Of course you need to confidence and explain what motivates you as a person to want to be a nurse the questions were straight forward and not out to trick you. I don't want post answers because this would give unfair advantage but its exactly like a generic job interview. If you were the employer what would you want from the potential employee. What experiences do you have etc.

Hi thanks for your reply! Don't know how I missed this thread when I was looking for it again, so sorry for not replying after you took the time to post. I haven't had my interview yet, it's in 2 weeks time so getting a little nervous about it lol.

Oh so it's not a group interview?? That is a little better, I have read on another thread that it is a group interview though I guess they may change things up a bit or that may have been referring to the undergrad degree interviews... I shall be prepared for either eventuality anyway, just to be on the safe side. The questions don't sound so bad from what you've said too, sounds similar to the last interview I had which wasn't too bad (well, the interview didn't go well but that was me panicking over a straightforward question rather than the questions themselves being a problem..). Anyway, thank you very much that's all stuff I can use to prepare :biggrin:

Did they give you scenarios btw, or was it just the general questions about skills, experiences, why I chose the course etc?

Also I studied archaeology in the past lol, not the most relevant but I reckon it doesn't matter for the pgdip - worried that I may be at a disadvantage compared to science students though! What did you study?
Reply 3
Original post by anemolihp
Hi thanks for your reply! Don't know how I missed this thread when I was looking for it again, so sorry for not replying after you took the time to post. I haven't had my interview yet, it's in 2 weeks time so getting a little nervous about it lol.

Oh so it's not a group interview?? That is a little better, I have read on another thread that it is a group interview though I guess they may change things up a bit or that may have been referring to the undergrad degree interviews... I shall be prepared for either eventuality anyway, just to be on the safe side. The questions don't sound so bad from what you've said too, sounds similar to the last interview I had which wasn't too bad (well, the interview didn't go well but that was me panicking over a straightforward question rather than the questions themselves being a problem..). Anyway, thank you very much that's all stuff I can use to prepare :biggrin:

Did they give you scenarios btw, or was it just the general questions about skills, experiences, why I chose the course etc?

Also I studied archaeology in the past lol, not the most relevant but I reckon it doesn't matter for the pgdip - worried that I may be at a disadvantage compared to science students though! What did you study?

Hi,

I can only say from last year, but was like more fo a chat to get to know you. They might have changed it into a group interview, who knows! I am a student rep for my cohort which is quite fun, I do it really just to stand out from the crowd and have something more for my tutor to write about me if ever I need a reference from them! Science students are actually in the minority, about 25% or less in my group. I did a degree in Biomedical sciences because I would hate to work in a lab. I enjoy the biology side of things very much and it helps me more to understand the patients. However experience trumps textbook knowledge everytime! The students with arts background do find it a struggle because we go over one organ system per lecture which lasts 1.5 hours. Assessments is a mixture of coursework and written exam. In the second term we have a scenario where a patient with a disease and you are assessed on your knowledge of pathology, and the appropriate nursing intervention required. We do cover a lot of biology but only a small fraction of it is assessed. There is a lot of independent study involved. Most of the band 5 nurses on the ward do not have comprehensive biological knowledge, they know enough to survive. But the ward sisters have very detailed knowledge about disease and with a wider scope I believe they get it from a combination of experience and further education.

I only got very generic scenarios, what would you do if you received a complaint, they asked me about my dissertation,why do you want to be a nurse, what makes a good nurse. Why specially adult nursing???
Reply 4
Hi everybody :smile: I've just applied for the PG Dip at City and I have noticed that on my UCAS e-application, the other Universities I have applied to have a little post script underneath advising of literacy and numeracy exams before interviews can commence, all except under City's application. Do they have the literacy and numeracy entrance exams? Also, if you are currently on this course, can you tell me if it is difficult course? Is the teaching good, are the premises nice? Thank you and wish me luck :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hello everyone! I have an interview on Friday at City University for PG Dip Adult nursing. Just wondering whether it will be one to one of group based and what kind of questions will be asked? Any tips! Really nervous!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Hello everyone.
I have applied for PG Dip Adult nursing and have my interview on Friday! Any tips? I was wondering whether it will be a group interview or one on one? Really nervous!

Thanks!!
Reply 7
Original post by nikitav
Hello everyone.
I have applied for PG Dip Adult nursing and have my interview on Friday! Any tips? I was wondering whether it will be a group interview or one on one? Really nervous!

Thanks!!

Just a one to one interview, no group. I was also confused about this when I went in as well as most of my others had been group and individual. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by cazcar19
Just a one to one interview, no group. I was also confused about this when I went in as well as most of my others had been group and individual. Good luck! :smile:

Thank you for your reply! Yeah, I found out that it will be one to one. What kind of questions did they ask you? Did you apply for PG dip Adult nursing? My interview is tomorrow! Nervs are kicking in now!

Thanks again..really appreciate your help.
Reply 9
Hi,

Good luck for tomorrow! I am a late applicant so fingers crossed. Would love to hear how your interview goes.
What is your background?
Original post by nikita_91
Thank you for your reply! Yeah, I found out that it will be one to one. What kind of questions did they ask you? Did you apply for PG dip Adult nursing? My interview is tomorrow! Nervs are kicking in now!

Thanks again..really appreciate your help.

Just the questions you would expect really, I don't wanna give anything away as im super paranoid someone will catch me helping haha xD. I've found my interviews have been absolutely fine as i've had past healthcare experience to talk about. It's definitely much easier to talk about stuff you have done. If you can think of some experiences before you go in that you have done that you can relate to being a good nurse, I think that would be helpful :smile: Is this your first interview?

Yeah I applied for PGDip Adult and it's currently my insurance choice now. Doing my APEL now, which is taking so so long.
Reply 11
Hi guys.. Have an interview soon. Any tips will help. Are staff friendly? Have you had offer from the university?
Reply 12
Original post by cazcar19
Just the questions you would expect really, I don't wanna give anything away as im super paranoid someone will catch me helping haha xD. I've found my interviews have been absolutely fine as i've had past healthcare experience to talk about. It's definitely much easier to talk about stuff you have done. If you can think of some experiences before you go in that you have done that you can relate to being a good nurse, I think that would be helpful :smile: Is this your first interview?

Yeah I applied for PGDip Adult and it's currently my insurance choice now. Doing my APEL now, which is taking so so long.

Hi, have you been offered a place?
Reply 13
Original post by Ezgiix
Hi guys.. Have an interview soon. Any tips will help. Are staff friendly? Have you had offer from the university?

Hello! Firstly well done on getting to the interview stage! The interview day is really relaxed so you have nothing to worry about. They start of with a presentation on the course and answer any questions you may have. After that you are interviewed one to one with two people on the panel. Mine went really really well and the staff were so friendly and welcoming. I'm sure you will be fine!

I got offered a place two weeks ago! :biggrin: Been working on my APEL since!

Best of luck!
Reply 14
Original post by nikitav
Hello! Firstly well done on getting to the interview stage! The interview day is really relaxed so you have nothing to worry about. They start of with a presentation on the course and answer any questions you may have. After that you are interviewed one to one with two people on the panel. Mine went really really well and the staff were so friendly and welcoming. I'm sure you will be fine!

I got offered a place two weeks ago! :biggrin: Been working on my APEL since!

Best of luck!

Awhh thats so cool. Congratulations. I really need this offer from city it is such an ideal location to study work and live. If you dont mind, are you able to tell me how many questions and what kind of questions they asked? Thank you..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending