The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tell them how a higher grade in core science would benefit you in the future
Original post by Blancosdos
Hi i wanted to retake one of my core science exam, i want to get higher(an A grade) in it.I heard from some of my friends that the head of department wouldn't let us retake.Can you tell me some tips to persuade my head of department to let me retake it?
Thanks.

If it is not school policy, there are no ways you can persuade them. It's too much trouble to organise for one person.
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If it is not school policy, there are no ways you can persuade them. It's too much trouble to organise for one person.

What do you mean school policy?
Last year several year 11's got to retake it.And btw its not for one person,2 of my friends want to do it too.
What do you mean school policy?
Last year several year 11's got to retake it.And btw its not for one person,2 of my friends want to do it too.

Well, if they took it last year, then it's not against school policy, is it? If they did it then, there is no reason why they shouldn't do it this time. If they have never allowed retakes, then you wouldn't get them to change their minds. If they do, then there isn't much of a reason why you would have difficulty retaking it.
Reply 5
Well, if they took it last year, then it's not against school policy, is it? If they did it then, there is no reason why they shouldn't do it this time. If they have never allowed retakes, then you wouldn't get them to change their minds. If they do, then there isn't much of a reason why you would have difficulty retaking it.

True.However.today a friend told me that the head of science said "no you cannot retake",bearing in mind the people he told them too got failed grades(D and below)
True.However.today a friend told me that the head of science said "no you cannot retake",bearing in mind the people he told them too got failed grades(D and below)

Don't believe anything you are told by anyone who isn't a member of staff.
If you have no luck, maybe try getting in touch with a neighbouring school who do allow retakes and take part as an external candidate. Yes, it's a bit of a faff but potentially worth it.
Reply 8
Hi i wanted to retake one of my core science exam, i want to get higher(an A grade) in it.I heard from some of my friends that the head of department wouldn't let us retake.Can you tell me some tips to persuade my head of department to let me retake it?
Thanks.

Try asking. Don't overthink it. Just ask, with your reasons why.

What grade did you get?
Thanks.

First of all, found out for yourself if the head of department will not allow retakes. I don't know about your school but if you were within ten marks of the next grade, they'll remark it, and if you're one or two grades under your projected grade, they let you retake it. Check if the same policy applies at your school. Also, you may not be allowed to only retake ONE of your core science exam, you might have to retake it all.

My advice is that you go and ask your hod if you can retake, explaining why you might have not gotten the desired grade ("i felt a little sick that day/I was incredibly nervous and worried/for some reason I didn't process and answer the questions the right way":wink: but be prepared to get rejected, or given the choice where you repeat everything, or nothing.

If you aren't allowed to retake that particular test, and you're really desperate, I'd suggest you get a teacher (preferably one that likes you and was slightly disappointed with your grade - not that it was a bad grade) and ask them to fight for you on their behalf. Adults are more likely to follow another adults request than a high school students one.

Don't forget to be prepared for rejection, and don't beat yourself up over it. And as jneill said, don't overthink, its probably not as bad as you think it will be. Good luck!.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Try asking. Don't overthink it. Just ask, with your reasons why.

What grade did you get?

A "C".It looks bad i know,but to be honest,last year i was someone who didn't care,and got a D in the ISA,which lowered my grade.I got an A* this year in the ISA,so it may help.
Original post by Against_Systems
First of all, found out for yourself if the head of department will not allow retakes. I don't know about your school but if you were within ten marks of the next grade, they'll remark it, and if you're one or two grades under your projected grade, they let you retake it. Check if the same policy applies at your school. Also, you may not be allowed to only retake ONE of your core science exam, you might have to retake it all.

My advice is that you go and ask your hod if you can retake, explaining why you might have not gotten the desired grade ("i felt a little sick that day/I was incredibly nervous and worried/for some reason I didn't process and answer the questions the right way":wink: but be prepared to get rejected, or given the choice where you repeat everything, or nothing.

If you aren't allowed to retake that particular test, and you're really desperate, I'd suggest you get a teacher (preferably one that likes you and was slightly disappointed with your grade - not that it was a bad grade) and ask them to foght for you on their behalf. Adults or more likely to follow another adults request than a high school students one.

Don't forget to be prepared for rejection, and don't beat yourself up over it. Use the above excuses mentioned and hopefully it will work. Good luck.

Thanks.I am aware that i have to resit all modules(B1,C1,P1).In the OP,i mentioned "one of my core science",what i meant was i wanted to retake core itself
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
A "C".It looks bad i know,but to be honest,last year i was someone who didn't care,and got a D in the ISA,which lowered my grade.I got an A* this year in the ISA,so it may help.

And are you planning on doing any sciences at A-level?
Original post by jneill
And are you planning on doing any sciences at A-level?

Yeah.Biology why?
(edited 8 years ago)

No this issue is common actually. I remember back then my science teacher would let some people retake and some people not. Idk y tbh
You really need to go speak to the head of department, if they say no then take it to the head of year etc. Make a big fuss about it and eventually you might get someone to listen to you.
Original post by Mentally
No this issue is common actually. I remember back then my science teacher would let some people retake and some people not. Idk y tbh

It will be to do with how likely a retake is to make a difference. If it's too big a climb to the next grade, there is little point in taking time away from subjects with a greater chance of success. The principle is there, though. OP seemed to be saying that no one would be allowed to take it, and my reply was that if the mechanism is there to make resits part of the school landscape (and it isn't everywhere - my own school does not allow GCSE retakes) then there is no reason to assume OP will not be allowed. If s/he isn't, it will be for a good reason, such as having no realistic chance of a change of grade.
It will be to do with how likely a retake is to make a difference. If it's too big a climb to the next grade, there is little point in taking time away from subjects with a greater chance of success. The principle is there, though. OP seemed to be saying that no one would be allowed to take it, and my reply was that if the mechanism is there to make resits part of the school landscape (and it isn't everywhere - my own school does not allow GCSE retakes) then there is no reason to assume OP will not be allowed. If s/he isn't, it will be for a good reason, such as having no realistic chance of a change of grade.

Oh.Can you PM me,i want to tell you a bit more regarding the grades,however i don't wish to be identified by some friends using this site.
Oh.Can you PM me,i want to tell you a bit more regarding the grades,however i don't wish to be identified by some friends using this site.

You can PM me if you wish, but I will tell you now that doing the maths for how different units stack up into a grade is something I have always left to my head of department, and I can't advise you on that kind of thing.
Done
You can PM me if you wish, but I will tell you now that doing the maths for how different units stack up into a grade is something I have always left to my head of department, and I can't advise you on that kind of thing.

Latest