The Student Room Group

Undergrad and postgrad at the same university - yay or nay?

I am currently studying at the University of St Andrews, and have applied here and to the University of Edinburgh for creative writing courses (specifically playwriting). I have an offer from St Andrews and am still waiting to hear from Edinburgh but I was wondering if there's a general consensus - is it considered a bad thing to hold two degrees from the same university? Is it looked down upon if you haven't gone to a different university for your second degree? Or does the location not matter so much as the degree itself?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer me! :smile:
Reply 1
depending on the BSc, some modules may overlap (at least my course does), so u may be taking the same module twice, once durng undergrad, and once during postgrad
It's not a problem. Just choose your modules carefully should you decide to stay at your UG university.

But please, don't spend thousands on a course claiming to teach you how to "write creatively".

You write better by writing more. Not by taking a course on how to write.
Original post by WhatUni
depending on the BSc, some modules may overlap (at least my course does), so u may be taking the same module twice, once durng undergrad, and once during postgrad

I'm not taking any playwriting courses at present thanks to my timetable - my current degree is Joint Honours English and Mediaeval History. The course would be entirely new to me. Thank you for the advice, though! :smile:

Original post by prospective_grad
It's not a problem. Just choose your modules carefully should you decide to stay at your UG university.

But please, don't spend thousands on a course claiming to teach you how to "write creatively".

You write better by writing more. Not by taking a course on how to write.

Again, this should not be a problem as my undergraduate and postgraduate courses here do not have the same modules. As for writing better by writing more, I have already written four plays and have had three of them performed, plus I'm taking a show to the Edinburgh Fringe this year. I will be taking a Masters in order to help me hone and improve my skills as a playwright and learn the craft from professionals, and writing more in the process. I understand what you are saying, and I agree, it's just I have never had the opportunity to study playwriting at this level before, and it is something I would love to do. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by mackenzie-scott
I am currently studying at the University of St Andrews, and have applied here and to the University of Edinburgh for creative writing courses (specifically playwriting). I have an offer from St Andrews and am still waiting to hear from Edinburgh but I was wondering if there's a general consensus - is it considered a bad thing to hold two degrees from the same university? Is it looked down upon if you haven't gone to a different university for your second degree? Or does the location not matter so much as the degree itself?

It's pretty common to have an undergrad and Masters from the same place. Many unis offer an "alumni discount" on their Masters courses, in an attempt to hang onto good graduates. It isn't looked down on.

Having said that, I did my Masters at a different uni and the difference between theoretical approaches to my subject was quite the eye-opener. I'm glad I went somewhere else, but I probably would've stayed at my undergrad uni if they'd run the right Masters for me.
I would say it depends on what you want to do with the master's afterwards.

If you were aiming towards an academic career, it is generally seen as preferable for you to experience at least one other university during your postgrad training. As Klix said, the difference in approaches, emphases etc. between universities can be quite large, and thus provide a really good learning experience. At least, this is my impression from speaking with people.

However, since you're looking to do quite a practical course, and you haven't mentioned any interest in an academic career, then I don't imagine it would make too much difference if it's the same university. As others have said, look carefully at the modules offered and the staff on each course, and make the best decision for yourself.
If it makes obvious sense to you to get you to your career goals and you can explain this in the future then yes there isn't a problem.

I have seen profiles on Linkedin of someone who has done B.Sc. Economics at the London School of Economics and then done the M.Sc. Economics, which if you look at the modules, they overlap and basically repeating, I could understand if they had done M.Sc. Econometrics with Mathematical Economics still at LSE but repeating things I thought was bizarre especially from someone who is seen as a bright prospect.

If anyone can explain why someone would do this then feel free to reply.

A great thing about studying at the same university is loyalty discount so you can really want to do a course and just so get £1000 discount!

Have you thought about the courses offered at the School of Advanced Study of the University of London?
Original post by Klix88
It's pretty common to have an undergrad and Masters from the same place. Many unis offer an "alumni discount" on their Masters courses, in an attempt to hang onto good graduates. It isn't looked down on.

Having said that, I did my Masters at a different uni and the difference between theoretical approaches to my subject was quite the eye-opener. I'm glad I went somewhere else, but I probably would've stayed at my undergrad uni if they'd run the right Masters for me.

Thank you very much for this; I had assumed it wasn't very common! I don't think my uni offers a discount on its fees though, sadly! I'm sorry your undergrad uni didn't have the right Masters for you, but I'm glad you enjoyed your course elsewhere. :smile:

Original post by gutenberg
I would say it depends on what you want to do with the master's afterwards.

If you were aiming towards an academic career, it is generally seen as preferable for you to experience at least one other university during your postgrad training. As Klix said, the difference in approaches, emphases etc. between universities can be quite large, and thus provide a really good learning experience. At least, this is my impression from speaking with people.

However, since you're looking to do quite a practical course, and you haven't mentioned any interest in an academic career, then I don't imagine it would make too much difference if it's the same university. As others have said, look carefully at the modules offered and the staff on each course, and make the best decision for yourself.

Thank you, that's an excellent point. I am looking to work in theatre with this degree in hand, although I would not be averse to working in academia either - with the St Andrews course you can apply after a semester to change your degree to an MFA , which I believe is looked on favourably as a teaching qualification? Anyway, thank you very much for your advice, I will keep it in mind. :smile:

By whom?

The short answer is 'no'.

If I were you, I'd be much more concerned about the course itself and how exactly a creative writing masters is going to add to your employablity - that's a far more pressing issue that what uni you study it at.
(edited 8 years ago)
nay

I'm a postgrad at St Andrews and I did my undergrad here too. I don't know so much about whether it is looked down upon, I can't imagine it will be as your postgrad would be in a different subject area technically, and is training you in a different skill, and employers know that you have to go through the application process the same as everyone else. HOWEVER I will say that in terms of experience of doing your postgrad at your undergrad uni, its weird being here after everyone you went through undergrad with has left, and while your new postgrad friends are excitedly experiencing St A for the first time you're just there like 'yeah been there done that' :P as I'm nearing the end of my 5th year here, I am very ready to experience somewhere else and find myself getting a bit sick of the town. I wouldn't say I regret doing my postgrad here, the course has given me everything I hoped for (I switched subjects from undergrad) but I will say that five years is quite a long time to be here, and if you do have the option of studying something similar somewhere else, then I'd say go for it.

Also - there is alumni discount for St A, 10%, which helps! But I know that Edinburgh offers a variety of decent scholarships of partial and full fee funding (I've applied there for a 2nd masters...) which I don't believe is available for St A.

Hope this was somewhat helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending