The Student Room Group

I'm fed up with Uni

I go to university in central London and in my first year. Since the first month I considered dropping out, spoke to my head of department and they supported my decision, signed the forms etc, but I didn't leave partly because I didn't have a back up place, I knew my parents would be mad at me and I would regret it in the future.

I am commuting around 1h30 each day I am in. I have 2 lectures, 1 tutorial and 1 practical a week, and for a full time course and £9,000 a year I find this quite pathetic to be honest.

I cannot join societies, sports clubs or go to social events because I am commuting.

I know myself that I want to drop out and go to a lower ranked uni that I know I will have a better time at. I'm not motivated to do my work because I'm not enjoying the lifestyle as a whole.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it the commute that is the problem? Can you move into student halls or something? If not then it sounds like a transfer would be a good idea. No point staying in a degree that you are completely unmotivated to do and that makes you miserable.
Original post by lizmoo0721
I go to university in central London and in my first year. Since the first month I considered dropping out, spoke to my head of department and they supported my decision, signed the forms etc, but I didn't leave partly because I didn't have a back up place, I knew my parents would be mad at me and I would regret it in the future.

I am commuting around 1h30 each day I am in. I have 2 lectures, 1 tutorial and 1 practical a week, and for a full time course and £9,000 a year I find this quite pathetic to be honest.

I cannot join societies, sports clubs or go to social events because I am commuting.

I know myself that I want to drop out and go to a lower ranked uni that I know I will have a better time at. I'm not motivated to do my work because I'm not enjoying the lifestyle as a whole.

Well for a start it's good that you have started to think about this now while still in first year, rather than deciding you want to drop out in second or third year. As I'm sure you are probably aware you only get one grace year with student finance and as such if you want to start a new course fully funded from first yea you would need to drop out before second year starts.

My advice is to start researching into different unis and courses right away, you want to be absolutely sure this time around that you are picking the right uni an course as this will be your final chance in terms of student finance. Start reading up on the universities, the cities and the course content and try to get into contact with people studying the course you are interested in to get a more in depth idea of whether it is right for you.
Reply 3
Original post by Jenx301
Is it the commute that is the problem? Can you move into student halls or something? If not then it sounds like a transfer would be a good idea. No point staying in a degree that you are completely unmotivated to do and that makes you miserable.

I think it's the whole living at home thing, I'm not getting the student experience that I wanted. I couldn't afford to move out, it's not that my family are the problem, it's just not what I want to gain from uni. I wanted more than just the degree.

I have looked into transferring but I feel that would be worse, starting in year 2 not knowing anyone, cant live in halls in most cases because they're only for first year. I'd rather go straight into year 1.
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
Well for a start it's good that you have started to think about this now while still in first year, rather than deciding you want to drop out in second or third year. As I'm sure you are probably aware you only get one grace year with student finance and as such if you want to start a new course fully funded from first yea you would need to drop out before second year starts.

My advice is to start researching into different unis and courses right away, you want to be absolutely sure this time around that you are picking the right uni an course as this will be your final chance in terms of student finance. Start reading up on the universities, the cities and the course content and try to get into contact with people studying the course you are interested in to get a more in depth idea of whether it is right for you.

Thanks for the reply, I am looking into different universities at the moment, but I don't know how to bring the whole idea up to my parents.
Reply 5
I think it's the whole living at home thing, I'm not getting the student experience that I wanted. I couldn't afford to move out, it's not that my family are the problem, it's just not what I want to gain from uni. I wanted more than just the degree.

I have looked into transferring but I feel that would be worse, starting in year 2 not knowing anyone, cant live in halls in most cases because they're only for first year. I'd rather go straight into year 1.

Hey

Start a new course then if you feel that would be best. I understand what you mean, as I am currently repeating third year and it has been really tough starting again with new people who all know each other. Some places do have halls that allow 2nd years but there are also shared houses so there are options. If you think starting a new course would make you happiest then I think you should look into it and find out your options. Maybe speak to someone at your current uni and ask for some help in this?
leave and get a job, uni is for ugly people
Reply 7
Original post by The_Last_Melon
leave and get a job, uni is for ugly people

Such a stupid comment. byeeeeeeee

Depending on which course you move to, you may find that the hours are not too different at a new university. Many arts-type courses have very few hours, so if this is one reason you want to move, then do your research about contact times for courses you are interested in.

I remember you posting about this repeatedly in the past. Ultimately you have to make a decision - do factors such as disappointing your parents, possibly regretting your decision, and even (possibly) reduced opportunities from attending a less well-regarded university outweigh the inconvenience of commuting now? Is it an option to move closer to your university next year? You could get a job and start saving for accommodation costs, if these are not met by your student loan. But in the end, posting thread after thread asking for advice will only get you so far - you have to make a decision.
Reply 9
Original post by Jenx301
Hey

Start a new course then if you feel that would be best. I understand what you mean, as I am currently repeating third year and it has been really tough starting again with new people who all know each other. Some places do have halls that allow 2nd years but there are also shared houses so there are options. If you think starting a new course would make you happiest then I think you should look into it and find out your options. Maybe speak to someone at your current uni and ask for some help in this?

I hope things work out for you, that must be tough, everyone knowing each other for 2 years already. I definitely think I would be happier at a different university, it will just make me feel guilt knowing the one I am at has a great reputation. I am hoping to get all my information and options together before discussing it my my tutor again. I did speak to them right at the beginning and they were understanding about my situation and feelings about London, in fact, my tutor hates London too but he is only there because of the strong holding of the department.
Original post by gutenberg
Depending on which course you move to, you may find that the hours are not too different at a new university. Many arts-type courses have very few hours, so if this is one reason you want to move, then do your research about contact times for courses you are interested in.

I remember you posting about this repeatedly in the past. Ultimately you have to make a decision - do factors such as disappointing your parents, possibly regretting your decision, and even (possibly) reduced opportunities from attending a less well-regarded university outweigh the inconvenience of commuting now? Is it an option to move closer to your university next year? You could get a job and start saving for accommodation costs, if these are not met by your student loan. But in the end, posting thread after thread asking for advice will only get you so far - you have to make a decision.

lol, i can post how many times I want, and the situation has changed slightly, that's why I posted again...sorry at your inconvenience. Simply, my student loan will not cover accommodation, not even 1/4 of it for the year. I spend most of my time on trains up to 4 hours a day, so finding time to get a job, which I would also have to commute too would be quite difficult at the moment. I have realised it is the uni I don't like. I don't like being in the city as a student.
On the other hand, many things in life get us fed up. Sometimes it's better just to suck it up and push through, at least til the end of the year.
lol, i can post how many times I want, and the situation has changed slightly, that's why I posted again...sorry at your inconvenience. Simply, my student loan will not cover accommodation, not even 1/4 of it for the year. I spend most of my time on trains up to 4 hours a day, so finding time to get a job, which I would also have to commute too would be quite difficult at the moment. I have realised it is the uni I don't like. I don't like being in the city as a student.

I'm not saying it's an inconvenience for me - I'm happy to give advice. My point was that you ultimately need to make a decision, bearing in mind all that you've said about the pros & cons of each option. I was not trying to attack you.

Is getting a job at the weekend not an option?

I can understand your frustration at being a student in London - I'm attached to one of the London universities as a postgrad for this year, and I think I would have hated it too as an undergrad. If you really hate it that much, surely your decision is made for you?
Original post by Supersaps
On the other hand, many things in life get us fed up. Sometimes it's better just to suck it up and push through, at least til the end of the year.

but is it worth £40,000? I don't think so
That's a decision only you can make.
Thanks for the reply, I am looking into different universities at the moment, but I don't know how to bring the whole idea up to my parents.

What are you worried about in terms of telling your parents?

In the end it is your life and you're the one who has to live with the decision you make, not your parents.
Reply 16
40k for a piece of paper, let's be fair that's what university is for a lot of people, the literature graduates I meet have that pretentious air about them, they all want to talk about their latest 'post-structural analysis' - meanwhile I'm here 40k up actually enjoying a good Dickens novel and talking sense.

In the end it is your life and you're the one who has to live with the decision you make, not your parents.

I just spoke to them now, and they said it was fine, and my decision, I thought they were going to go mad with me haha!
Reply 18

Not everyone is from a liberal supporting family. Maybe he has no place to go and is worried they will force him out, or will think badly of him, living with people who think badly of you does not sound like fun.
I just spoke to them now, and they said it was fine, and my decision, I thought they were going to go mad with me haha!

haha well at least that is settled :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending