The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by brainzistheword
Ah I'm glad they were what you wanted - as I say some of them are blank yet, until I get chance to add some cards to them.

Well, for the sciences so far, that's a bit difficult to judge. In terms of making notes and actual content I have not got as far as I would have liked. I have made about 30 draft pages of notes with about 12 of those being typed up (which is really not a lot compared to the 100 pages in each revision guide x3 for each science) but in terms of past papers and practice I have done all the Triple science past papers for all the sciences once already. I am going to use the questions I got wrong in the last mock to help with this one, although that may be tricky for the likes of Physics and Chemistry where I dropped only 1 mark in Physics and 3 marks in Chemistry but for these I am going to make more notes.

The next few days up until Thurday night are going to be completely science focused for these mocks and despite the marks I somehow managed to achieve I am going to aim to get all the draft notes done by Easter.

How is your science revision going? :smile:

And thanks for the luck, I think I need it right now :biggrin:

.... *speechless*

GOD ALMIGHTY I am flabbergasted.... you only dropped A SINGLE MARK in physics and THREE in chemistry?!?!?! I think if i was in the same exam hall as you I'd feel the terrifyingly strong waves of science study power emanating off of you O.o
I'm always better in biology and equal in physics and chemistry, where i get A*in biology and A*/A's in the other 2 but never in MY LIFE have i seen anyone drop so few marks!!! i hope you're VERY proud of that hah i would, i drop at least 10 marks in any science!! As far as I'm concerned your word is law :biggrin: the damn prodigy you should be called lol.

As far as my science revision....i'm currently revising for my C6 end of unit test whilst I've completed several past papers. My technique is similar to yours: I do an exam paper under exam conditions, closed-book, then mark it and see my areas of weakness. I can't complete any triple science papers for bio and physics because we've only completed the course for chemistry (is it bad if we haven't finished it yet?!).

Likewise, I'm not as far ahead as I would've liked :cry2:but hopefully I'll be able to get organised and basically sort out my life:crossedf:

And i think we're all going to need a bit of luck :tongue:
Original post by hals
.... *speechless*

GOD ALMIGHTY I am flabbergasted.... you only dropped A SINGLE MARK in physics and THREE in chemistry?!?!?! I think if i was in the same exam hall as you I'd feel the terrifyingly strong waves of science study power emanating off of you O.o
I'm always better in biology and equal in physics and chemistry, where i get A*in biology and A*/A's in the other 2 but never in MY LIFE have i seen anyone drop so few marks!!! i hope you're VERY proud of that hah i would, i drop at least 10 marks in any science!! As far as I'm concerned your word is law :biggrin: the damn prodigy you should be called lol.

As far as my science revision....i'm currently revising for my C6 end of unit test whilst I've completed several past papers. My technique is similar to yours: I do an exam paper under exam conditions, closed-book, then mark it and see my areas of weakness. I can't complete any triple science papers for bio and physics because we've only completed the course for chemistry (is it bad if we haven't finished it yet?!).

Likewise, I'm not as far ahead as I would've liked :cry2:but hopefully I'll be able to get organised and basically sort out my life:crossedf:

And i think we're all going to need a bit of luck :tongue:

Thanks - I didn't realise it was so unusual to drop so few marks - I thought everyone did it (plus I hate to admit it, as it makes me sound big headed).

Seems like you have a sound revision strategy, I'm sure you will ace your tests. And don't worry about not finishing everything yet. We have only finished physics but haven't even started B6 or C6 either so we both need to speed up I think :wink:

Tomorrow I'm going to outline a new strategy for my revision in terms of limiting distractions and things like that, so that I can be more focused and actually have productive days :smile:
Reply 102
Good luck! I hope you get those A*. I'm sue you will, it just requires a lot of hard work and dedication :smile: You said Physics was your favourite and Biology was your least preferred on my thread.Completely the opposite to mine! What are you looking to go into in the future? :smile:
UPDATE FOR DAY 4

So, today, most of the morning was taken up by an engineering course. It lasted until about 1 o'clock so that took away most of my revision time. Anyway, I did manage to recap some Biology topics as I had hoped and briefly brushed over photosynthesis, limiting factors, adrenaline and the heart, stem cells and enzymes. Hopefully I can go into more detail tomorrow.

I really, really must knuckle down tomorrow as it is the last chance before the mocks. I will also post something about a new strategy I am going to try where I specify times I can do certain things i.e use the internet or go on the iPad, so that I have a more rigid structure.

:smile:
Original post by khatx
Good luck! I hope you get those A*. I'm sue you will, it just requires a lot of hard work and dedication :smile: You said Physics was your favourite and Biology was your least preferred on my thread.Completely the opposite to mine! What are you looking to go into in the future? :smile:

Thank you, I will try my hardest I can assure you. I hope you get the grades you desire too :smile:. At the moment I am looking into Engineering but I am not quite sure and my school doesn't mention anything about the industry, so I am attending an 11 week taster course. Therefore I'm definitely going to try to go and get A-levels and then decide (rather than an apprenticeship). After that, and possibly Uni, I would like to consider being a Physicist, Planetary Scientist or even maybe a Physics teacher. I'd really like a PhD in Physics and I know that would require lots of work :biggrin:. What careers are you thinking about? :smile:
Reply 105
Thank you, I will try my hardest I can assure you. I hope you get the grades you desire too :smile:. At the moment I am looking into Engineering but I am not quite sure and my school doesn't mention anything about the industry, so I am attending an 11 week taster course. Therefore I'm definitely going to try to go and get A-levels and then decide (rather than an apprenticeship). After that, and possibly Uni, I would like to consider being a Physicist, Planetary Scientist or even maybe a Physics teacher. I'd really like a PhD in Physics and I know that would require lots of work :biggrin:. What careers are you thinking about? :smile:

sorry to butt in but.....An 11 week course?!?! Is that for the summer holidays or during school days (like after school and stuff?)
Reply 106

Wow, it's very admirable that you're looking to go into Physics. I used to struggle with it quite a lot. Personally, I'm looking to go into medicine. So for A-Levels, I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. Perhaps History too? I'm not too sure... I feel like ditching Maths and taking Physics and also ditching Psychology and taking English Lit but I don't know. Those 4 subjects are what I'm going with for now. And after I get my degree, I think I want to work in a General Practice or something similar. :smile:
Reply 107
Thanks - I didn't realise it was so unusual to drop so few marks - I thought everyone did it (plus I hate to admit it, as it makes me sound big headed).

Seems like you have a sound revision strategy, I'm sure you will ace your tests. And don't worry about not finishing everything yet. We have only finished physics but haven't even started B6 or C6 either so we both need to speed up I think :wink:

Tomorrow I'm going to outline a new strategy for my revision in terms of limiting distractions and things like that, so that I can be more focused and actually have productive days :smile:

hahahah yeah it is quite special to drop so few marks :h: i get little butterflies when that happens (hardly does tho xD) and no I don't whether it's me being OTT or not but my revision strategy is not sound I am unbelievably scared right now, or 'shook' as they say O.O i feel sick to the stomach when I think about how little time there is left, however this website has been the most motivating source of encouragement for me, so I thank you all :tongue:

P.S. dw u don't sound big headed xp and oh good we're not so behind science-wise, now I don't feel so alone (we haven't finished B5 but we moved on to B6 due to teacher complications and we've recently started P6)
Reply 108
Original post by khatx
Wow, it's very admirable that you're looking to go into Physics. I used to struggle with it quite a lot. Personally, I'm looking to go into medicine. So for A-Levels, I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. Perhaps History too? I'm not too sure... I feel like ditching Maths and taking Physics and also ditching Psychology and taking English Lit but I don't know. Those 4 subjects are what I'm going with for now. And after I get my degree, I think I want to work in a General Practice or something similar. :smile:

I agree, physics isn't the best of subjects for me either. Although engineering is a course that has attracted my attention, or dentistry, so I'll be taking maths, biology, chemistry and english (instead of physics because I thought it would be more preferable to have a less mathematical/ science based subject and instead one that was more essay based - I also enjoy english a lot).

I'll be rooting for you and that medicine degree xD
Reply 109
Original post by hals
I agree, physics isn't the best of subjects for me either. Although engineering is a course that has attracted my attention, or dentistry, so I'll be taking maths, biology, chemistry and english (instead of physics because I thought it would be more preferable to have a less mathematical/ science based subject and instead one that was more essay based - I also enjoy english a lot).

I'll be rooting for you and that medicine degree xD

Thank you!!! We're planning to take very similar subjects, almost the same! Except I'm taking Psychology instead of English. I hope all becomes clear for you and you find out what you want to do :smile:
Reply 110
Original post by khatx
Thank you!!! We're planning to take very similar subjects, almost the same! Except I'm taking Psychology instead of English. I hope all becomes clear for you and you find out what you want to do :smile:

same goes for you too :smile: nice to know we'll be taking similar subjects. Psychology seems pretty interesting, I know a lot of people taking it. Wish you the best in it
Original post by hals
sorry to butt in but.....An 11 week course?!?! Is that for the summer holidays or during school days (like after school and stuff?)

Ah no it's not as bad as it sounds, honestly, it's just at weekends. I've attended 7 of them, just 4 more to go, so I shall be finished by the end of March :smile:
Original post by khatx

Thank you and your A-level choices look very interesting. They are much more varied than mine :smile:

As for swapping Maths, I do not think that would be wise, because most colleges suggest (or make it compulsory) to study Maths if you take Physics - so just bear that in mind.

I guessed you would be into medicine - afterall Biology and medicine go hand in hand :biggrin: I believe being a doctor or GP requires many years at university?

Good luck with it all - I'm sure you would make a great medical professional :smile:
Original post by hals
hahahah yeah it is quite special to drop so few marks :h: i get little butterflies when that happens (hardly does tho xD) and no I don't whether it's me being OTT or not but my revision strategy is not sound I am unbelievably scared right now, or 'shook' as they say O.O i feel sick to the stomach when I think about how little time there is left, however this website has been the most motivating source of encouragement for me, so I thank you all :tongue:

P.S. dw u don't sound big headed xp and oh good we're not so behind science-wise, now I don't feel so alone (we haven't finished B5 but we moved on to B6 due to teacher complications and we've recently started P6)

Would you like me to help you with anything about your revision plan.If you want we could go through it and look at how it works best and how it doesn't quite work for you. Let me know if you do :smile:

I have a spreadsheet counting down the day I have to each exam (yes, sad I know) but it is a good indicator and I can prioritise everything to the day, rather than just guessing.

I'd be more than happy to help - as I would with the science topics you have not yet covered. If you have seen the links in the previous posts there are some falshcard/revision cards and there should be some on the topics you haven't done yet. I know I have definitely done them all for Physics but not sure about Biology. :smile:
NEW STRATEGY
Yesterday, I mentioned I was going to try and come up with something to make more use of my time. In a nutshell - cutting down on my screen time.
I already only watch about 1.5 hours of TV a day (sometimes none) and when I do, this is through catch up so I can skip through adverts :wink: but my computer is my main issue.

Especially after setting up this I have been more inclined to check updates and everything else, so I'm going to try and put strict limits on. Here is my plan:

Morning: Maximum 1 hour - Check TSR and update it for the day, and type up notes I wrote in draft the night before

Lunchtime (if not at school): Maximum 1 hour - Watch the programme I like on catch up whilst doing any research or printing I need to

After school and evening: Maximum 4 hours - Ideally I want to make sure I can access a computer if I need it, but not be too lenient, so the 4 hours is spread across the afternoon and I am going to say I cannot use any screens, including any iPads after 8:30pm.

Before I turn on my computer each time, I am going to write down on a sticky note what I need to get done and be strict in saying that nothing else is done until the list is complete. However, I am going to try all this without those filters you can get for websites as I feel that if I can self-discipline myself to not go on them, then it will be more beneficial to me in the long run.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
UPDATE:

Here's my packed plan for today:

Limit my computer time (10 mins left of today's morning session)

Write out Biology notes in detail

Write out Unit 1 notes for Chemistry and Physics

Look at A* Maths questions

Recap the layouts of English Language pieces

Find and write out quotes neatly so I can memorise them

Find important details in each chapter of OMAM

Phew - better get started :smile:
Out of interest, if anyone has used any filters on their computer to block sites whilst studying - how did you find them? Would it be worth me looking into? :smile:
Reply 117
Out of interest, if anyone has used any filters on their computer to block sites whilst studying - how did you find them? Would it be worth me looking into? :smile:

Hahaha yeah I use one, it's called the self control app, if you type that into google it will come up (has a picture of a white skull inside a black spade). It's quite good because it has a timer so you can't go on any of the websites you've listed plus you can track your study time. I put TSR on the blacklist as well because I keep checking my updates...So yeah if you want a timer and a guarantee that you won't get distracted, it's worth it.
Reply 118
Would you like me to help you with anything about your revision plan.If you want we could go through it and look at how it works best and how it doesn't quite work for you. Let me know if you do :smile:

I have a spreadsheet counting down the day I have to each exam (yes, sad I know) but it is a good indicator and I can prioritise everything to the day, rather than just guessing.

I'd be more than happy to help - as I would with the science topics you have not yet covered. If you have seen the links in the previous posts there are some falshcard/revision cards and there should be some on the topics you haven't done yet. I know I have definitely done them all for Physics but not sure about Biology. :smile:

Wow it's great that you have everything sorted and planned out, i think I need to do that as well. Ok not think...I do need to. And yes yes omg that would be a great help if you could help me with my revision plan!! But don't waste your time on it, just any time you're free then your help would be VERY much appreciated! As for the flashcard links...i'm already using them lol, for my C6 revision - it's such a clever system i'm thankful for you showing it to me :wink:
Original post by hals
Wow it's great that you have everything sorted and planned out, i think I need to do that as well. Ok not think...I do need to. And yes yes omg that would be a great help if you could help me with my revision plan!! But don't waste your time on it, just any time you're free then your help would be VERY much appreciated! As for the flashcard links...i'm already using them lol, for my C6 revision - it's such a clever system i'm thankful for you showing it to me :wink:

Haha yeah I find it more organised if I know when everything is happening. I'd be more than happy to help you, just post anything you want up here and I'll see what I can do :smile:

Glad you like the flashcards :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending