The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Accommodation opinions from current bath students?

I know the accomodation for 2016/17 hasn't yet opened but I'm trying to decide the one I want...
What accomodation do you have or what can you say about:
Norwood house (is the noise really that bad?)
Westwood
Eastwood
and Malborough/Solsbury
??

Appreciate the help!

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I'm Rob, a second year civil engineer. I will try and summarise each one of the accommodation option for you.

Norwood - This is quite a nice block, and the rooms are pretty nice. The rent is comparably cheaper for what you get, however, this is probably due to the fact that it is above the students union. I personally have not lived there however I have heard mixed reports. Club nights are twice a week, and last until 2/3am. Some people say that you get used to it pretty quickly and that you learn to sleep through it. Others say that the whole room vibrates and that you can't get a good nights sleep until you go home! I would say that if you like going out and are a loud person, then definitely consider this. If you are relatively timid and don't really go out, then stear clear.

Westwood - this is the same price as Norwood. You don't get as much for your money but you also don't get the loud club nights a few floors bellow. You will have a wash hand basin in your room and a kitchen between about 7. Toilets will be shared between about 4.

Eastwood - this is the cheapest accommodation at Bath. It is shared bathroom, and does not have a cleaner. All the others have a cleaner once a week. This is worth considering, as it will get a bit of a state and you'll have to sort out the cleaning umongst yourselves. The actually rooms are similar to those in Westwood but the come in actual houses rather than large blocks like everything else.

Malborough/ Solsbury - these are the most popular accommodation. They are en-suite with a shower. Again, the kitchen is shared between about 7.

The best thing to do is have a look at all the pictures on here. You'll then need to weigh up exactly what facilities you want, with the price.

I hope that has helped. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rob

Original post by ssamarai
I know the accomodation for 2016/17 hasn't yet opened but I'm trying to decide the one I want...
Westwood
Eastwood
and Malborough/Solsbury
??

Appreciate the help!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
I was in Norwood and am by no means a loud clubbing person and I absolutely loved it. On the other hand I am a very heavy sleeper so I didn't have a problem with the noise.
I lived in Eastwood and wrote a review on this thread (first post). TL;DR - it may be the cheapest place but it really does the job, would recommend it if you want to save money as it's a good place anyway.
Heyy!
Im an offer holder for the course Bsc Management for the year 2016.
I have no clue what so ever about the accommodations but still managed to list down 2 options that I liked out of all from the information I could gather online.

Im confused between -

1) Woodland
2) Norwood

Could someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages one has over the other?

Would really appreciate the help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
I lived in Eastwood and wrote a review on this thread (first post). TL;DR - it may be the cheapest place but it really does the job, would recommend it if you want to save money as it's a good place anyway.

I do like the look of Eastwood but the only thing is the lack of cleaner- do you know anyone that this is a problem for?
Reply 6
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I was in Norwood and am by no means a loud clubbing person and I absolutely loved it. On the other hand I am a very heavy sleeper so I didn't have a problem with the noise.

Thanks for the reply. How many people were in your flat and was it spacious enough?
I do like the look of Eastwood but the only thing is the lack of cleaner- do you know anyone that this is a problem for?

It wasn't a problem for me. We did have a few messy people in my flat but they were a minority. The majority of people were sensible and didn't want to get fined and organised house cleans every so often, and there were enough of us to get the other people to contribute as well.

Your room would be your responsibility to clean up, which isn't too difficult unless someone throws up in it.

The bathroom and kitchens are checked by someone, once a week I think. If it's not satisfactory, they leave a note saying that they'll be back on .... and it has to be clean by then (pointing out what the main issues are). And as long as you're not living with numpties you can probably all work out a solution.

If cleaning really becomes an issue and the people that you're living with aren't great, you could possibly move out or speak to the people in charge and they come around to talk to everyone (happened once in our flat :tongue:).
Thanks for the reply. How many people were in your flat and was it spacious enough?

There were 9 of us - definitely spacious enough. The bedrooms are huge, probably the biggest on campus (Woodland's might be bigger but are awkwardly laid out IIRC). The kitchen was enormous too - we even had a sofa.
Original post by rachanaekale
Heyy!
I have no clue what so ever about the accommodations but still managed to list down 2 options that I liked out of all from the information I could gather online.

Im confused between -

1) Woodland
2) Norwood

Hi,

I'm Chris, a first year Computer Scientist here at Bath. My colleague Rob summarised above:

"Norwood - This is quite a nice block, and the rooms are pretty nice. The rent is comparably cheaper for what you get, however, this is probably due to the fact that it is above the students union. I personally have not lived there however I have heard mixed reports. Club nights are twice a week, and last until 2/3am. Some people say that you get used to it pretty quickly and that you learn to sleep through it. Others say that the whole room vibrates and that you can't get a good nights sleep until you go home! I would say that if you like going out and are a loud person, then definitely consider this. If you are relatively timid and don't really go out, then stay clear."

Woodland Court is more expensive but provides a larger room size. There are two types of room.

1. Ensuite shower - individual study bedroom with ensuite shower, toilet and washbasin and communal kitchen facilities. This also features a flat screen monitor and personal VOIP phone.

2. Ensuite shower large - larger individual study bedroom with ensuite shower, toilet and washbasin and communal kitchen facilities. This also features a flat screen monitor and personal VOIP phone.

Personally I currently live in Westwood which is basic but I've managed to make it homely. If it is a big room size you are after then Woodland Court with the double beds is probably the best option.

Hope you find this useful!

Feel free to get in touch if you have any further questions.

Chris
Original post by rachanaekale
Heyy!

Im confused between -

1) Woodland
2) Norwood

Hi,

I hope that you are now feeling more confident with your accommodation options! I am a first year International Management student here at the University of Bath (we follow the course in the first year as BSc Management). Feel free to go to my International Management thread here if you have any questions regarding the course!

Hayden
Is there an accomodation you could recommend to postgraduate students? I've received an offer today and I think I'm going to firm it :smile:
Westwood
Eastwood
and Malborough/Solsbury
??

Appreciate the help!

Hi,

You might find it useful to take a look at our virtual tours, as it will give you a better idea of what each accommodation type looks like and what facilities they have! If you have any other questions about different accommodation options please feel free to quote me!

Beth
Reply 13
Westwood
Eastwood
and Malborough/Solsbury
??

Appreciate the help!

Hi, not sure I can help much, but my sister lived in Solsbury for her first year at Bath. She had a great time there and whenever I visited, the whole place looked very nice and was a good walking distance to the Parade. The flats were quite sociable, with students sharing a kitchen which was a pretty good size. But I suppose it really depends on who you live with.

Anyway, I hope you manage to find an accommodation that you will enjoy at Bath :smile:
There were 9 of us - definitely spacious enough. The bedrooms are huge, probably the biggest on campus (Woodland's might be bigger but are awkwardly laid out IIRC). The kitchen was enormous too - we even had a sofa.

Did you take a loan for accommodation and living costs or did your parents cover that? 122 pounds a week is quite expensive, don't you think?
Original post by Bath_Student
Did you take a loan for accommodation and living costs or did your parents cover that? 122 pounds a week is quite expensive, don't you think?

It was £110 pw when I lived there; my parents pay my living costs.
It was £110 pw when I lived there; my parents pay my living costs.

When was that? The cost for NW has been exploding recently. I checked on archive.org and the increase isn't at all proportional to inflation! Are you still at Bath / what are you studying?
How much did you need for food etc per month?
Original post by Bath_Student
When was that? The cost for NW has been exploding recently. I checked on archive.org and the increase isn't at all proportional to inflation! Are you still at Bath / what are you studying?
How much did you need for food etc per month?

It was 2012-13. In halls I probably spent about £150 on food per month. It's more now I live off campus because I get really hungry and end up buying food on campus.
Reply 18
Can anyone tell me why is Marlborough/Solsbury Court so expensive? Even the studio ones are cheaper.
Marlborough/Solsbury is the best accommodation on your list OP, hands down. Norwood is probably one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen, and unless you're a good 5-6 floors above the club, the noise is going to destroy your soul.

Westwood and Eastwood are OK, they're more the standard student accommodation you'd expect to find at other uni's. If you really want quality though, go Quads. That place is so good, room size aside.

Quick Reply

Latest