The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
June 2012 FP3:

Total time: 50:00 Total Raw: 74 Total UMS: 100

Q1: How was this even a question? It's just reading things out from the formula booklet. 1:00
Q2: Nice answer. Took some time showing all my working since it was a 'show that', also used specific values of aa to check my answer at the end. 4:20 (blaze it)
Q3: Computational shmoozle. 4:00
Q4: Nice double integration by parts, not much to it, really. 7:00
Q5: Reminds me of my IGCSE Add Maths, we used to get question like these. 8:00
Q6: Skipped this and came back to it at the end.
Q7: Bunch of C3 exponential work and some recognition. 6:20
Q8: Easy matrices question with nice numbers that makes things very simple. 4:00
Q6: So - this was ugly. Did the first part easily, second part took some care with not messing up the algebra. Third part was ****ing ********. I kept checking my answer over and over again since it didn't contain bb whilst the question clearly said that you needed to give your answer in terms of a,ba, b and θ\theta. Did the question over again as well, got the same answer. Finally just left it and it ended up being correct. Had 0 clue what was going on for last part. I just said y=0y=0 and left it at that. I've got no clue how the xa|x| \geq a thing works, still don't after the markscheme, to be honest. Slightly annoyed at myself because I lost a mark for not understanding something over a silly mistake. Spent about fifteen to twenty minutes on this one, not amused at all.
Hey Zacken - moved on to the 2ODE = f(x) today and damn I had a lot of fun! This is definitely my favourite maths topic ever
Original post by Zacken
June 2012 FP3:

Q1: How was this even a question? It's just reading things out from the formula booklet. 1:00
Q2: Nice answer. Took some time showing all my working since it was a 'show that', also used specific values of aa to check my answer at the end. 4:20 (blaze it)
Q8: Easy matrices question with nice numbers that makes things very simple. 4:00
Q6: So - this was ugly. Did the first part easily, second part took some care with not messing up the algebra. Third part was ****ing ********. I kept checking my answer over and over again since it didn't contain bb whilst the question clearly said that you needed to give your answer in terms of a,ba, b and θ\theta. Did the question over again as well, got the same answer. Finally just left it and it ended up being correct. Had 0 clue what was going on for last part. I just said y=0y=0 and left it at that. I've got no clue how the xa|x| \geq a thing works, still don't after the markscheme, to be honest. Slightly annoyed at myself because I lost a mark for not understanding something over a silly mistake. Spent about fifteen to twenty minutes on this one, not amused at all.

Well done man! Don't beat yourself up over 1 mark :/
Reply 663
Original post by Student403
Hey Zacken - moved on to the 2ODE = f(x) today and damn I had a lot of fun! This is definitely my favourite maths topic ever

What makes you like it so much? :biggrin:

BTW, when's your blog going up? :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
June 2012 FP3:

Nice mate. I think pure modules are your favourites right? :smile:
Original post by tinkerbella~
Did you finish already? Wouldn't be surprised tbh

that's what she said :rofl:
Reply 666
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

Jeez Ayman, you're on fire. :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
What makes you like it so much? :biggrin:

BTW, when's your blog going up? :tongue:

Just how it all fits together so nicely - I dunno I to be honest. I think it's such a beautiful topic :biggrin:

I actually wrote the thing yesterday but I'm really embarrassed to put it up because it sounds quite cheesy :rofl:

PRSOM :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
Jeez Ayman, you're on fire. :rofl:

i thought you were giving a mock boy 😒
Reply 669
i thought you were giving a mock boy 😒

I'm done - look up. :tongue:
Reply 670
Just how it all fits together so nicely - I dunno I to be honest. I think it's such a beautiful topic :biggrin:

I actually wrote the thing yesterday but I'm really embarrassed to put it up because it sounds quite cheesy :rofl:

Ah, yeah. Fair enough, have you done the thing with terms that appear in your complimentary function that would also go into your particular integral so you need to change your particular integral to something else?

Put it up!! :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Ah, yeah. Fair enough, have you done the thing with terms that appear in your complimentary function that would also go into your particular integral so you need to change your particular integral to something else?

Put it up!! :biggrin:

Yeah I did :biggrin: That was a very interesting point. Frankly I don't think our teacher understood how to teach it fully (I'll give it to him since this is the first time he's ever taught FP2) but it was easy to see why we do so - quite interesting indeed!

Hmm :/ I kinda wish I could make another account just for the blog because I don't want too many people reading it xD I know that goes against the point of a blog but :dontknow: Or I could put it on blogspot as a compromise? I dunno what to do!
You're all so nice. :cry:
Reply 673
Yeah I did :biggrin: That was a very interesting point. Frankly I don't think our teacher understood how to teach it fully (I'll give it to him since this is the first time he's ever taught FP2) but it was easy to see why we do so - quite interesting indeed!

Yeps, it's very nice. If you want - you should look up recurrence relations, they follow much the same rules as differential equations - you might like the second order αan+2+βan+1+γan=k\alpha a_{n+2} + \beta a_{n+1} + \gamma a_{n} = k recurrence relation, you do the whole thing with guessing a solution, basically the discrete version of a differential equation. :biggrin:

Hmm :/ I kinda wish I could make another account just for the blog because I don't want too many people reading it xD I know that goes against the point of a blog but :dontknow: Or I could put it on blogspot as a compromise? I dunno what to do!

Ah, fair enough - I get you. Blogspot sounds good, I guess, so does a new account (as long as you PM us and tell us which one it is. :tongue: ). :lol:
Original post by Zacken
June 2012 FP3:

aye lmao

you guys did hyperbolic integration in add maths...? that's crazy.

I know how you feel with Q6 :rofl: I kept rechecking my answer to check whether it matched. In the end I just decided that y = 0 was the way to go. I was actually going to ask you how the range worked after you did the paper - I pretty much had no ****ing clue on how I was supposed to think of that.
Original post by Zacken
x

for 6c you got R to have coordinates (acosθ,0) \displaystyle \left(\frac{a}{\cos\theta},0 \right) right?

So for 6d, the x coordinate of R has the form x=acosθ x = \displaystyle \frac{a}{\cos\theta} , and obviously the y coordinate of R is zero always.

So considering the range of cosθ \displaystyle \cos\theta as theta varies; 1cosθ1 \displaystyle -1 \leq \cos\theta \leq 1

and therefore the range of x values R can take as theta varies is xa \displaystyle x \geq a and xa \displaystyle x \leq -a

So the locus of R is the line y=0 \displaystyle y=0 with xa \displaystyle |x| \geq a

This was amazing :lol:
Original post by DylanJ42
for 6c you got R to have coordinates (acosθ,0) \displaystyle \left(\frac{a}{\cos\theta},0 \right) right?

So for 6d, the x coordinate of R has the form x=acosθ x = \displaystyle \frac{a}{\cos\theta} , and obviously the y coordinate of R is zero always.

So considering the range of cosθ \displaystyle \cos\theta as theta varies; 1cosθ1 \displaystyle -1 \leq \cos\theta \leq 1

and therefore the range of x values R can take as theta varies is xa \displaystyle x \geq a and xa \displaystyle x \leq -a

So the locus of R is the line y=0 \displaystyle y=0 with xa \displaystyle |x| \geq a

dyl dyl to the rescue :elefant:
Reply 678
Original post by DylanJ42

Ah, yes... I kept doing acosθ=xxa\displaystyle \frac{a}{\cos \theta} = x \Rightarrow |x| \leq a instead, because I'm dumb, cos\cos is in the denominator, urgh!
dyl dyl to the rescue :elefant:

I done this paper today, got fknnnn 68/75 :angry:, lost 6 marks on Q5, messed it up hard (<-- this can be angry elephant stomp)

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending