The Student Room Group

Would taking three subjects at AS be detrimental to my university application.

Currently I'm doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Economics. I was considering dropping it after AS but after my Economics mock (did like half an essay and did not even complete the data response) i am thinking of dropping it and going with Maths, Physics & Chemistry for AS & A2, because i am not entirely ambitious about the subject, so i rarely ever find myself making any effort to further my knowledge & grades in the subjects. So would it be harmful to drop Economics, if i was considering Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence as my university course? Additionally i will be self teaching the C3,C4,FP1,FP2,D1 & maybe D2,S2 or M2 modules over the summer.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Double check by researching this course at a few different universities. Check the grade requirements and make sure that you only need three subjects at AS. I know that University of Ulster only asks for 3, but it could be different for English universities
You're only given an offer on three is what every uni told me when I asked that, even Oxford. You should be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by ivybridge
You're only given an offer on three is what every uni told me when I asked that, even Oxford. You should be fine.

Offers are generally given on 3 full A Levels, but many unis will expect an additional AS, which is what the OP won't have.
Original post by Juno
Offers are generally given on 3 full A Levels, but many unis will expect an additional AS, which is what the OP won't have.

Expect is not the same as require - many people don't do four for various reasons. I think they'd rather three solid than three solid and one failed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Expect is not the same as require - many people don't do four for various reasons. I think they'd rather three solid than three solid and one failed.

When I was applying for my Bachelors (wow i feel old) everywhere but leeds wanted AAAe - AABe it seems for whatever reason they want to see the AS even at an e.

More recently my younger sister currently has conditonals from UCL,Manchester and Birmingham and an unconditional from Royal Holloway. They all also stipulated they want an AS at pass.
Original post by Oilfreak1
When I was applying for my Bachelors (wow i feel old) everywhere but leeds wanted AAAe - AABe it seems for whatever reason they want to see the AS even at an e.

More recently my younger sister currently has conditonals from UCL,Manchester and Birmingham and an unconditional from Royal Holloway. They all also stipulated they want an AS at pass.

Probably because people have applied with it...
Reply 7

Well, what you think is unfortunately not the same as what unis think, so you really shouldn't be advising others on this.
Original post by Juno
Well, what you think is unfortunately not the same as what unis think, so you really shouldn't be advising others on this.

That's very rude of you, considering what I am passing on has come from admissions tutors - as such, what I'm saying has more validity than your recent google search :borat:
Reply 9
Original post by Juno

They do not care. They care about the three A levels you take to A2.

I have no GCSE's and am taking three A levels (AS and A2) in six months as a private candidate. I have received offers from all four universities I applied to and they all told me all we really care about are the A level grades and MAT score. I think the presence or not of a fourth AS is about as far down the list as is possible.
Reply 10
That's very rude of you, considering what I am passing on has come from admissions tutors - as such, what I'm saying has more validity than your recent google search :borat:

I've been advising on such things for over 10 years. As such, i consider your opinion on whether I'm rude or not to be as useful as your advice.
Reply 11
Original post by etjayne

I have no GCSE's and am taking three A levels (AS and A2) in six months as a private candidate. I have received offers from all four universities I applied to and they all told me all we really care about are the A level grades and MAT score. I think the presence or not of a fourth AS is about as far down the list as is possible.

Great! Clearly, you're not a standard applicant so this doesn't apply to everyone.
Reply 12
Original post by Juno
Great! Clearly, you're not a standard applicant so this doesn't apply to everyone.

That is true but a fourth AS that is dropped after one year is just not going to matter one whit to any university. Whether you have a tie on at an interview or open day will carry more weight.
Original post by Juno
I've been advising on such things for over 10 years. As such, i consider your opinion on whether I'm rude or not to be as useful as your advice.

So you still think you know better than admissions tutors from Oxford, Cambridge, Leicester, need I continue? Get off your high-horse mate.
Reply 14
Original post by etjayne
That is true but a fourth AS that is dropped after one year is just not going to matter one whit to any university. Whether you have a tie on at an interview or open day will carry more weight.

As I've already said, I have over 10 years experience of this. The top unis do care about such things.

Either you're not applying to such unis, or they have lowered requirements because of your circumstances. But neither qualify you to make such statements and potentially damage someone else's application.
Original post by Juno
As I've already said, I have over 10 years experience of this. The top unis do care about such things.

Either you're not applying to such unis, or they have lowered requirements because of your circumstances. But neither qualify you to make such statements and potentially damage someone else's application.

What do you do and how are you qualified? :smile:

You're a very arrogant little person.
Reply 16
Original post by Juno

You are a paramedic according to your profile not an admissions tutor for a Cambridge department.

I have just gone through talking to four universities and their admissions people. Because of my unusual situation the differences of my application from the norm came up in detail and I was told that things like a fourth AS and such was a very minor thing that played essentially no role in a normal application never mind mine.

By the way - the four universities were Oxford, Imperial College, Warwick and Cardiff. All Russell Group and to two of them always appearing in a world top 15 list. I assume those are "top unis" by your criteria?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by etjayne
You are a paramedic according to your profile not an admissions tutor for a Cambridge department.

I have just gone through talking to four universities and their admissions people. Because of my unusual situation the differences of my application from the norm came up in detail and I was told that things like a fourth AS and such was a very minor thing that played essentially no role in a normal application never mind mine.

By the way - the four universities were Oxford, Imperial College, Warwick and Cardiff. All Russell Group and to two of them always appearing in a world top 15 list. I assume those are "top unis" by your criteria?

Wheeey, go you :smile:
Original post by etjayne

What's an ' MAT ' score ?
Reply 19
Original post by RomanKing
What's an ' MAT ' score ?

Maths Admissions Test - for Oxford and Imperial admission.

Quick Reply

Latest