The Student Room Group

Is there Free Will within Heaven?

There can be no free will in heaven.

This conclusion can only be arrived at if we establish and agree on two factors:

1) Sin is a product of free will - without free will we would not have the option to sin. If we were to place this within the bible we need only look at the story of the Garden of Eden. Adam was created, he was deceived and chose to eat of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil, without that choice (free will), he would not have been able to sin against God. So we can conclude that as long as free will exists so does sin.

2) Heaven is a place free from sin - Rev 21:18,17 and 15 all describe that heaven is a place free from sinners and sin, Rev 15 - "But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.", I need only quote from scripture to prove this point.

So we can therefore make the overall assumption that heaven is a place without free will, upon entering into the realm of Heaven you enter a puppet show where you live as an automaton under the control of God.

However, a further question can then be raised. How did the devil become the devil.

Within the bible we learn that the devil was an angel within heaven who sinned against God and so was cast into hell. So this juxtaposes what we have just established. The idea of the creation of the devil and the inability to sin in heaven are mutually exclusive. So are we then only left to draw the conclusion that one or both of them are false? Either you can sin in heaven (going against what the bible says) or you cannot sin (meaning that the devil was never created as the angel never had the ability to sin against god). Or the easier answer to arrive at; the heaven described within the bible does not exist.

Scroll to see replies

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
Reply 2
My favourite part of the bible is when God gave everyone free will and then killed them all for not doing what he wanted :colone:
Original post by Berrers

This conclusion can only be arrived at if we establish and agree on two factors:

1) Sin is a product of free will - without free will we would not have the option to sin. If we were to place this within the bible we need only look at the story of the Garden of Eden. Adam was created, he was deceived and chose to eat of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil, without that choice (free will), he would not have been able to sin against God. So we can conclude that as long as free will exists so does sin.

2) Heaven is a place free from sin - Rev 21:18,17 and 15 all describe that heaven is a place free from sinners and sin, Rev 15 - "But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.", I need only quote from scripture to prove this point.

So we can therefore make the overall assumption that heaven is a place without free will, upon entering into the realm of Heaven you enter a puppet show where you live as an automaton under the control of God.

However, a further question can then be raised. How did the devil become the devil.

Within the bible we learn that the devil was an angel within heaven who sinned against God and so was cast into hell. So this juxtaposes what we have just established. The idea of the creation of the devil and the inability to sin in heaven are mutually exclusive. So are we then only left to draw the conclusion that one or both of them are false? Either you can sin in heaven (going against what the bible says) or you cannot sin (meaning that the devil was never created as the angel never had the ability to sin against god). Or the easier answer to arrive at; the heaven described within the bible does not exist.

Why are you discussing something that isn't even remotely true.
Original post by Berrers

i would read and post a longer response but

deny heaven exists then the question is irrelevent to everything :biggrin:
Reply 5
Literally who cares? If heaven exists, then the people there will be too happy to care about free will. If heaven doesn't exist, then this question is moot.
Reply 6
Original post by Shiv is Light
Why are you discussing something that isn't even remotely true.

Are you saying that my argument isn't true or the existence of a heaven?
Original post by Berrers
Are you saying that my argument isn't true or the existence of a heaven?

Existence of heaven, sorry for not clarifying
Reply 8
Original post by Arkasia
Literally who cares? If heaven exists, then the people there will be too happy to care about free will. If heaven doesn't exist, then this question is moot.

As the only Agnostic-Atheist within my family I do care. I care that millions around the world are committing their lives to a faith that rewards them with an eternity with the absence of free will.
Reply 9
Original post by Shiv is Light
Existence of heaven, sorry for not clarifying

No worries :smile:
Coming from an Islamic background, we realise that when there's no law there won't be any sin - as the definition of sin is to disobey God by violating his law. Sin in Islam is an action that breaks God's laws while the state of being in denial of God's mercy or His existence or His Unity or His laws is kufr. All those who die in the state of kufr will not enter Paradise.

Does that mean that the pure ones of Jannah (Paradise) could do as they wish? Yes. Even if they harm others? They wouldn't harm others just as they wouldn't deny God's favour on them. It's not logical; it's nonsensical to suggest otherwise.

We learn that the greatest blessing of Jannah would be that God would declare that from now onwards He would never be displeased with them. This suggests that yes, some actions of us would be not best suited for the pleasure of God - but that God would overlook it.

Another point to mention that (and I'm NOT putting the blame solely on the Devil) - if not for the Devil, Adam would not have sinned. In tomorrow's Paradise there wouldn't be any devils or friends of devils - so the risk of seduction is non-existence.

The whole purpose of our life on earth being primarily a test of faith in God, is so that God can justify His discrimination when admitting His people to Jannah.

I hope you are satisfied with this.
Furthermore in addressing the OP, I would say that I have no problem with the "How did the Devil sin in Heaven" issue - because the Islamic understanding of the Devil or Iblis is very different to that of the Christian notion. He has a very interesting history.
Original post by Berrers

What axioms are you using?

Many of the terms you are using are not sufficiently well defined.
Reply 13
Original post by Sciatic
Coming from an Islamic background, we realise that when there's no law there won't be any sin - as the definition of sin is to disobey God by violating his law. Sin in Islam is an action that breaks God's laws while the state of being in denial of God's mercy or His existence or His Unity or His laws is kufr. All those who die in the state of kufr will not enter Paradise.

Does that mean that the pure ones of Jannah (Paradise) could do as they wish? Yes. Even if they harm others? They wouldn't harm others just as they wouldn't deny God's favour on them. It's not logical; it's nonsensical to suggest otherwise.

We learn that the greatest blessing of Jannah would be that God would declare that from now onwards He would never be displeased with them. This suggests that yes, some actions of us would be not best suited for the pleasure of God - but that God would overlook it.

Another point to mention that (and I'm NOT putting the blame solely on the Devil) - if not for the Devil, Adam would not have sinned. In tomorrow's Paradise there wouldn't be any devils or friends of devils - so the risk of seduction is non-existence.

The whole purpose of our life on earth being primarily a test of faith in God, is so that God can justify His discrimination when admitting His people to Jannah.

I hope you are satisfied with this.

Thanks for the response, I must admit thought that I am not well versed in the Islamic faith so forgive me if I ask any seemingly ignorant questions.

You point about being in a state of Kufr has raised a question, are those who do not know of Gods Laws or his existence destined to not enter Jannah. Are those who do not know God in a state of Kufr?
Reply 14
Original post by Sciatic
Furthermore in addressing the OP, I would say that I have no problem with the "How did the Devil sin in Heaven" issue - because the Islamic understanding of the Devil or Iblis is very different to that of the Christian notion. He has a very interesting history.

Yes I didn't specify which religion I was aiming this question at, so for that my apologies but I still think insight from multiple religions on this topic is valuable :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by morgan8002
What axioms are you using?

Many of the terms you are using are not sufficiently well defined.

Would you care to provide some examples of these poorly defined terms, then I will be happy to elaborate.
Original post by Berrers
Would you care to provide some examples of these poorly defined terms, then I will be happy to elaborate.

Free will, heaven, god, sin.
Reply 17
Original post by morgan8002
Free will, heaven, god, sin.

Okay, I guess I assumed that people would understand the general meaning of these things but I will specify them for you within the context of my argument.

Free Will - The power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion. Within my argument it is the free choice to side with God or to turn your back on him, and I believe that if there was true free will then there would be no punishment for one of those choices.

Heaven - The perfect place/dimension/alternate reality described to us within the bible, the place where we become servants of Gods upon entering and become cogs in the perpetuating machine of Gods own self indulgent existence. Rev 22:3 "No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him."

God - Do I really need to further define this, the deity described to us within the bible, father of Jesus but at the same time also Jesus. The Creator of the universe and all powerful deity.

Sin - The action of going against what God has instructed us to do/ recommended us to do. Breaking the laws of God.
Original post by Berrers
As the only Agnostic-Atheist within my family I do care. I care that millions around the world are committing their lives to a faith that rewards them with an eternity with the absence of free will.

Why? If nothing exists after death then there is no sound reason why their actions and faiths here make a difference.
Is there free will in Narnia? Oh, wait Narnia doesn't exist. Neither does Heaven. Stop wasting your time with this nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending