The Student Room Group

Bored and have no idea what I'm doing with my life AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
I have 0 clue what I want to do after uni to be honest, kind of the reason for this thread.

No not really to be honest.

Did you know what you wanted to do when you chose your course? What made you choose it?
Original post by Black Rose
Did you know what you wanted to do when you chose your course? What made you choose it?

I chose it because I loved learning about diseases...but we've done very little about that. And I wanted to go into disease research of some kind, but research isn't what I thought it would be. It's mostly very boring.
I chose it because I loved learning about diseases...but we've done very little about that. And I wanted to go into disease research of some kind, but research isn't what I thought it would be. It's mostly very boring.

What have you been learning about? And how did you think it would be like? (sorry for all the questions, I'm considering the course/biology :tongue:)

Maybe you could talk to someone about things? Student support or something at uni? :smile:
What have you been learning about? And how did you think it would be like? (sorry for all the questions, I'm considering the course/biology :tongue:)

Maybe you could talk to someone about things? Student support or something at uni? :smile:

Mostly about metabolic and toxicology pathways and infection pathways recently.

I've not found them very helpful to be honest, it's like they try. But they don't have all the answers and they can't tell me what I'll enjoy or what I should pursue.
Mostly about metabolic and toxicology pathways and infection pathways recently.

I've not found them very helpful to be honest, it's like they try. But they don't have all the answers and they can't tell me what I'll enjoy or what I should pursue.

Any advice for someone thinking of taking your course? Do you not have any optional modules btw?

Anyone else you can talk to? friends? family? Maybe you can try out something new and different, volunteer for something?
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh no, I don't question my existence or anything like that.

Just really struggling to deal with my future prospects at the moment, I just feel really lost and I've gotten to the point I don't even enjoy anything or have any passions I want to pursue so I can't even do the old "follow my dreams" tripe. I'm just coasting and hoping I get through to be honest.

TBH imo work is work.

unless youre an entrepreneur its not gonna be as yeh wish. even then it wont.

I guess finding a decent work environment is key in that regard.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
TBH imo work is work.

unless youre an entrepreneur its not gonna be as yeh wish. even then it wont.

I guess finding a decent work environment is key in that regard.

Some work is definitely less suited to some people than others.
Any advice for someone thinking of taking your course? Do you not have any optional modules btw?

Anyone else you can talk to? friends? family? Maybe you can try out something new and different, volunteer for something?

It depends what types of career you're after?

I have an optional module in my final year. This varies per uni and course.

Nah not really, they're people to rant to sure but they're not going to be able to give any realistic help or advice. To be honest I currently have barely enough energy to go to uni and do my work, if I do anything like that it'll be during the holidays.
wud u do anal
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Those stupid gems only remind me how much time I have wasted on this stupid forum.

It depends what types of career you're after?

I have an optional module in my final year. This varies per uni and course.

Nah not really, they're people to rant to sure but they're not going to be able to give any realistic help or advice. To be honest I currently have barely enough energy to go to uni and do my work, if I do anything like that it'll be during the holidays.

Why?
Original post by Sisuphos
Why?

A number of things have been affecting my health recently and mentally I'm struggling to even get out of bed in the mornings.
A number of things have been affecting my health recently and mentally I'm struggling to even get out of bed in the mornings.

I was exactly like that in my 2nd year. Have you talked to your GP about depression?
I was exactly like that in my 2nd year. Have you talked to your GP about depression?

I can't even begin to describe the incompetence and lack of care I have been given by my numerous GPs in the past.

I'm not putting myself through that again.
I can't even begin to describe the incompetence and lack of care I have been given by my numerous GPs in the past.

I'm not putting myself through that again.

I am not going to push you on this, GPs can be really, really awful. But it might get worse if you don't do anything about it so my final suggestion is to at least talk to a therapist at uni (if you don't already). My experience has been quite positive.
I am not going to push you on this, GPs can be really, really awful. But it might get worse if you don't do anything about it so my final suggestion is to at least talk to a therapist at uni (if you don't already). My experience has been quite positive.

Yeah I've been looking into uni help.
Yeah I've been looking into uni help.

Try to imagine how hard it is for Darol to keep going after all his has been through. Yet he gets up everyday and fights Zombies. If he can do that then you can get your degree. :dumbbells::dumbbell::dumbells:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Try to imagine how hard it is for Darol to keep going after all his has been through. Yet he gets up everyday and fights Zombies. If he can do that then you can get your degree. :dumbbells::dumbbell::dumbells:

So deep.

Quick Reply

Latest