The Student Room Group

Canadian UK Law Applicants for 2016

Okay, so I think I've come across a decent amount of Canadians in the megathreads and I'd like to just see how everyone is doing. I personally find it difficult applying for UK law with very little people around me doing the same and I think it'd be nice if we all sort of went through this together, as Canadians. :smile:

I'm from Ontario. I applied to KCL, Bristol, Edinburgh, Durham and QMUL and have offers to Bristol, Edinburgh and QMUL. I'm waiting on Durham and got rejected by KCL. My average is 93% and my LNAT was a 26. Anyone else?
Hi!

I live in Alberta and applied to KCL, Queen Mary, Nottingham, Exeter, and UCL. I've received unconditional offer from King's, and a conditional offer from Exeter, contingent upon my completion of a language proficiency test (my monolingual fluency in English aside...??) and still waiting on the others.

I applied with a Bachelor of Commerce (3.6 GPA) and LNAT 33. My high school marks were poor and are not worth mentioning here.

@SebastianCanuck I saw in another thread you'd mentioned visiting King's. How useful was the visit compared to other schools you've seen? Have you visited any other Canadian schools you could compare/contrast it to?
Original post by kamicosbyy
Hi!

I live in Alberta and applied to KCL, Queen Mary, Nottingham, Exeter, and UCL. I've received unconditional offer from King's, and a conditional offer from Exeter, contingent upon my completion of a language proficiency test (my monolingual fluency in English aside...??) and still waiting on the others.

I applied with a Bachelor of Commerce (3.6 GPA) and LNAT 33. My high school marks were poor and are not worth mentioning here.

@SebastianCanuck I saw in another thread you'd mentioned visiting King's. How useful was the visit compared to other schools you've seen? Have you visited any other Canadian schools you could compare/contrast it to?

Congrats on your offers! Visiting schools in the UK was extremely helpful to me in making my decision. I can't compare Kings to any uni in Canada I've seen mainly because of how integrated into London it is. If you've been to U of T St. George you know that it's part of Toronto, but not really because all of it's buildings are pretty close together. With KCL you can walk across central London and simply come across different King's buildings. You really are not only studying but living in London. It was my personal favourite because of this.
Added points:
- 2nd and 3rd year are at Somerset house which is this beautiful building along the Thames
- They've gotten a lot of foreign investment
Reply 3
Not Canadian but graduated from a Canadian high school and Canadian university. :smile: Applying for 2 LLBs and 3 LLB for Graduates.
@Assan Best of luck! And so am I - which universities are you applying to?
Reply 5
Anyone on here thinking of going to Leicester? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jiji07
Anyone on here thinking of going to Leicester? :smile:

Why is it that Leicester is so stacked with Canadians? I've been to the city it's certainly nothing special, and it's not like the law school is anything superb either...
Reply 7
@Assan Best of luck! And so am I - which universities are you applying to?

Sorry for the wait - forgot my log in :smile:

Anyway, the senior status ones are Birmingham and York (and one other I probably would decline if I received an offer). And waiting on UCL and Warwick.

You? And how old are you?
@Assan I've received offers from UCL, King's, and Exeter (senior status), and am awaiting response from QMUL and Nottingham, both senior status.

I'm in my early 20s - and yourself? What is your university background? Best of luck for UCL!

@SebastianCanuck I know what you mean, I don't quite understand it either given the rankings. That said I application seems like a less daunting task at unis like Leicester and Southampton since 1. there are already a large contingent of Canadians there, so there might be more merit to the transferability of the credentials (not my view but an argument one could make) 2. it's marketed as being "for Canadians", so it more frequently comes up in search terms and there is a lot of support to apply if you don't want to/don't have time to/aren't capable of doing more research into further schools 3. the lower (relative to Canadian law schools) entry credentials required might work better for Canadian students hoping for a law degree that haven't been successful here. My theories for whatever it's worth haha.
Reply 9
@Assan I've received offers from UCL, King's, and Exeter (senior status), and am awaiting response from QMUL and Nottingham, both senior status.

I'm in my early 20s - and yourself? What is your university background? Best of luck for UCL!

Haha, Exeter is the other senior status to which I applied. Not sure about that choice now. What appealed to you about Exeter?

What are your top choices and why?

Late 20s.

I applied to Exeter as I worked with an advisor toward the end of the application process, and that was my "safety" - the advisor called it an "Ivy League equivalent" and it's part of the Russel Group so I thought it would be an alright place to end up if I didn't get any other offers.It's hard to say- I'm making a trip next month to spend a few weeks touring the campuses and hopefully speaking to some people who are part of the faculty. There are pros and cons to all the schools so it's going to be a really useful trip in order to narrow down my options.
Reply 11
[QUOTE=kamicosbyy;63286321]I applied to Exeter as I worked with an advisor toward the end of the application process, and that was my "safety" - the advisor called it an "Ivy League equivalent" and it's part of the Russel Group so I thought it would be an alright place to end up if I didn't get any other offers.It's hard to say- I'm making a trip next month to spend a few weeks touring the campuses and hopefully speaking to some people who are part of the faculty. There are pros and cons to all the schools so it's going to be a really useful trip in order to narrow down my options.

Interesting. Do you mind replying to this thread again with your impressions on UCL and Exeter after? I haven't received a decision from either as yet, but in case I do, I'd be curious to hear your impressions. :smile:
I applied to Exeter as I worked with an advisor toward the end of the application process, and that was my "safety" - the advisor called it an "Ivy League equivalent" and it's part of the Russel Group so I thought it would be an alright place to end up if I didn't get any other offers.It's hard to say- I'm making a trip next month to spend a few weeks touring the campuses and hopefully speaking to some people who are part of the faculty. There are pros and cons to all the schools so it's going to be a really useful trip in order to narrow down my options.

An IVY LEAGUE EQUIVALENT

Holy crap, yes let's compare Harvard and co. To Exeter
Original post by SebastianCanuck
An IVY LEAGUE EQUIVALENT

Holy crap, yes let's compare Harvard and co. To Exeter

Hi- to clarify, I was reiterating what I was told by an advisor and what factors were involved in my application decisions. I'm not sure that your comment is apposite or helpful, unless I'm missing something?If you were interested, and to keep the discussion moving, I'd be happy to delineate the factors that led to the advisor's qualification, as I was skeptical as well when I heard that
Original post by Assan
Interesting. Do you mind replying to this thread again with your impressions on UCL and Exeter after? I haven't received a decision from either as yet, but in case I do, I'd be curious to hear your impressions. :smile:

For sure! If I don't, feel free to send me a message after April 15 :smile:
Hi- to clarify, I was reiterating what I was told by an advisor and what factors were involved in my application decisions. I'm not sure that your comment is apposite or helpful, unless I'm missing something?If you were interested, and to keep the discussion moving, I'd be happy to delineate the factors that led to the advisor's qualification, as I was skeptical as well when I heard that

Sorry yeah I know that's just what she told you, but it's just such a dramatic comparison to make.. Could I hear the factors that lead to that comparison?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending