The Student Room Group

Student bank account?

I want to keep my current account with barclays but i also need to set up a student account with santander, do I need to set this santander account up first before I apply for finance? On the santander website it advises that you don't set up an account until you uni place is confirmed on results day but I thought that if you apply too late for finance your loan won't arrive on time?
Original post by Cookiedough162
I want to keep my current account with barclays but i also need to set up a student account with santander, do I need to set this santander account up first before I apply for finance? On the santander website it advises that you don't set up an account until you uni place is confirmed on results day but I thought that if you apply too late for finance your loan won't arrive on time?

This is exactly what I am confused about. I am trying to open up a Barclays Student Additions account, but one of the eligibility criteria is that I should be studying at the university. Hopefully that will be in September so do I wait until September to apply for student finance?
So confusing
You cant open a student account until you place is unconditional - you print out a letter from UCAS once this happens which you can take to the bank as evidence.

When I applied for finance the first time I used my existing current account details - you can easily change the details online if you get a new account.
Original post by AmyPilot
You cant open a student account until you place is unconditional - you print out a letter from UCAS once this happens which you can take to the bank as evidence.

When I applied for finance the first time I used my existing current account details - you can easily change the details online if you get a new account.

Oh okay thank you, so you just use your existing current account for now but change once your place is confirmed on results day? Did this affect anything with your current account?

Why if you dont have any bank account then. How can you apply for student finance. I cant even apply for a current account as im still in education and Barclays have stated that you must be employed and not in education.
Oh okay thank you, so you just use your existing current account for now but change once your place is confirmed on results day? Did this affect anything with your current account?

Didn't affect me as my student account is at the same bank I had an account at so in fact my account number stayed the same but can't see it causing any problems as you change the details so its instant (I think) - worst comes to the worst if the first payment goes to your original account you could just transfer the money over yourself.
Original post by moneymania999
Why if you dont have any bank account then. How can you apply for student finance. I cant even apply for a current account as im still in education and Barclays have stated that you must be employed and not in education.

Don't know how you get round this sorry - I had an Under 19 account with TSB maybe look for something similar??
Didn't affect me as my student account is at the same bank I had an account at so in fact my account number stayed the same but can't see it causing any problems as you change the details so its instant (I think) - worst comes to the worst if the first payment goes to your original account you could just transfer the money over yourself.

Thank you! you've been really helpful :-)
Don't know how you get round this sorry - I had an Under 19 account with TSB maybe look for something similar??

Im 19 but many thanks for the help. Time to look around I guess.
Im 19 but many thanks for the help. Time to look around I guess.

Maybe ask for advice in the Finance Section on here?

Good luck
Thank you! you've been really helpful :-)

No worries - good luck with your studies!
Reply 11

The Student Finance application lets you leave your bank details blank. Once you have your bank account set up, you can go back into your application and add the bank details.

You should apply for SF as soon as you can - you don't need a bank account to get the process underway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending