The Student Room Group

Have you ever met any university students who have helicopter parents?

Students whose parents are on their back 24/7 and always get involved in their university studies?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i met a guy who's mum was a boeing 747 but never a helicopter
I knew someone whose mum came round every weekend to clean her room/bathroom for her
Just commenting so I get updates on this thread, I love these stories.
Reply 4
Lol I wish to fly a helicopter some day
Original post by doodle_333
I knew someone whose mum came round every weekend to clean her room/bathroom for her

Nooo...... :afraid:
I've never met anyone like that. However, when I first started university, the lecturers brought it up in an intro lecture on the first day.

They said that in the past, they've had parents calling the university after the firt night asking them if their son or daughter slept OK, and other things like that.
I had a friend who lived in halls on-campus at a city centre university. His mum used to walk through the uni every morning on her way to work (there's a train station at the back of th uni, and lots of people use it as a walk-through to get places), and she would come and knock on her son's door every morning to make sure he was up, make him a cup of tea, and then go on her way! :eek: I don't think she really got involved in other ways, but still...! This is 100% true btw, the mother told me herself!
Reply 8
I had a flatmate whos mum sent out like a facebook SOS and called the college because her son forgot to turn his phone on after class and wasnt answering.
My mum rings me every single day without fail, sometimes even twice or thrice.
When I lived in halls last year, I had issues with my phone at one point so couldn't ring her or answer her calls. She rang the accommodation office and demanded that the man went to my room to check I was okay. It was 12am. The man knocked and said "Ring your mother. She thinks you are dead."

I dread to imagine what would happen if I ever turned my phone off.
Reply 10
There was a thread on here a few months ago about someone who's parents had basically moved into the living room of their student house..
Reply 11
Original post by SophieSmall
Just commenting so I get updates on this thread, I love these stories.

There's a "watch" button at the top of the thread. You can click that instead of commenting.
Reply 12
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
When I lived in halls last year, I had issues with my phone at one point so couldn't ring her or answer her calls. She rang the accommodation office and demanded that the man went to my room to check I was okay. It was 12am. The man knocked and said "Ring your mother. She thinks you are dead."

LMAO my mum did this once and it was at like 2am :rofl:

Although tbf I was quite ill and hadn't bothered phoning home :lol:

:rofl: This is hilarious.

A while ago I did get a panicked parent from abroad who somehow managed to get through to my work email here at TSR asking us to go check on their child who was at X university, because they hadn't heard from him in a few days :teehee: All I could do was give them the contact info of that uni. I got a nice follow up email letting me know he was fine and had just lost his phone :lol: Still don't think the parent understood we are just a forum....
(edited 8 years ago)
My sister's mate came from a very strict family and she was the first person in her family to move out for uni. During freshers week, the mate came back to her hall after a night out and her she saw her dad waiting outside the hall for her because he wanted to know where she was and where she had been.

It got so bad that the mate stopped going home for Christmas and Easter and she doesn't talk to her family anymore. But she's happy.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
:rofl: This is hilarious.

A while ago I did get a panicked parent from abroad who somehow managed to get through to my work email here at TSR asking us to go check on their child who at X university, because they hadn't heard from him in a few days :teehee: All I could do was give them the contact info of that uni. I got a nice follow up email letting me know he was fine and had just lost his phone :lol: Still don't think the parent understood we are just a forum....

Maybe she thought you were some kind of student rescue service?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Maybe she thought you were some kind of student rescue service?

To be honest, we get a lot of support emails asking about student accommodation for various unis... I think the name confuses people. :lol:

Wow that's crazy. Is she still as paranoid? What do you even talk about on the phone...

My parents phone once every few weeks. I could actually die and they wouldn't know for a while at least. Heh.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
I've never met anyone like that. However, when I first started university, the lecturers brought it up in an intro lecture on the first day.

They said that in the past, they've had parents calling the university after the firt night asking them if their son or daughter slept OK, and other things like that.

Lololol!
Reply 19
I occasionally get texts from my sister saying 'Are you dead?' when I don't phone home in a week. Thankfully my family can't pester me since a sea separates us. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending