The Student Room Group

A private healthcare service, good or bad?

Okay, so I've been thinking about this. It's clear that our NHS needs serious reform, but in what shape should the reform come in?

Before anyone goes off on one, it should be made clear that I'm referring to a private healthcare system that's still free at the point of use, because the Government pays for the health insurance of its citizens.

I have a few issues with this though, the first being that if our health system becomes privatised, that profit margins and the profit motive will mean that money is put before patients. The second is that the private companies' profit margins may lead to this system costing more than the current one. And, the last concern is that our elected government will no longer be held accountable and it would instead be private companies, and though many will not see an issue with this, it would mean that a lot of strict rules and regulations would need to be introduced and upheld in order to make sure that the health service performs what it's obliged to. With a government, if they fail the health service, they fail the people, and the people will have their say in the following election, however the people don't elect a private company, which is why accountability is rather an important issue.

Basically, I'm asking for an argument between nationalised healthcare and privatised healthcare, or even something in between. I know that neither are perfect, so if something in between is proposed I'd like to be assured that it contains the best of both, rather than the worst of both.

Scroll to see replies

Depends how it's done, most countries that it (or close to it), have a fascistic version, like America.
Reply 2
Original post by otester
Depends how it's done, most countries that it (or close to it), have a fascistic version, like America.

I'd never call America's version fantastic, I think they spend over 3 times per head on healthcare than we do.
Original post by Lime-man
I'd never call America's version fantastic, I think they spend over 3 times per head on healthcare than we do.

Errr... I said fascistic?
Reply 4
Original post by otester
Errr... I said fascistic?

Oh, well I misread. Though, I wouldn't call their healthcare system fascistic either.
Oh, well I misread. Though, I wouldn't call their healthcare system fascistic either.

I do because of the mixture of private-public sector.

However more towards the point of the topic, American healthcare started off pretty much free of government and over time as government got more involved (regulation), the cost went up, 'Obamacare' being the latest regulation to send it sky rocketing.
Reply 6
Original post by otester

However more towards the point of the topic, American healthcare started off pretty much free of government and over time as government got more involved (regulation), the cost went up, 'Obamacare' being the latest regulation to send it sky rocketing.

It cost more per-head than the UK before Medicaid.
Reply 7
Original post by otester

The problem right now is that the USA is trying to turn a monopoly into a competitive business.

I agree with Trumps idea of increasing competition, hopefully that works for the US, but i have fundamental principal based problems with private healthcare, mainly that those most likely to get injured/sick might not be able to afford it.
Reply 8
Original post by TheNote
The problem right now is that the USA is trying to turn a monopoly into a competitive business.

I agree with Trumps idea of increasing competition, hopefully that works for the US, but i have fundamental principal based problems with private healthcare, mainly that those most likely to get injured/sick might not be able to afford it.

This is a key issue, if you get diagnosed with cancer, unless you're wealthy you won't be able to afford health insurance and will have to resort to a breaking bad style career path.

Of course that's extreme, but the facts are that without medicare and medicaid these vulnerable people were locked out of healthcare.
Reply 9
This is a key issue, if you get diagnosed with cancer, unless you're wealthy you won't be able to afford health insurance and will have to resort to a breaking bad style career path.

Of course that's extreme, but the facts are that without medicare and medicaid these vulnerable people were locked out of healthcare.

Exactly, the main thing i like about obamacare/medicare is that is means you cannot charge more/deny insurance for preexisting conditions
It cost more per-head than the UK before Medicaid.

The problem with comparing the two is supply can be restricted with socialized medicine in order to keep costs down and then you also have the quality of care, where if you go to American doctor you can get a whole range of tests done, whereas a British doctor wants to get you out the door as quick as possible.
Reply 11
Original post by otester
The problem with comparing the two is supply can be restricted with socialized medicine in order to keep costs down and then you also have the quality of care, where if you go to American doctor you can get a whole range of tests done, whereas a British doctor wants to get you out the door as quick as possible.

Private health insurance is available in the UK though, where if you want the service that you describe then you can pay more for it. Americans don't have that option so they either pay 3 times more for healthcare or you have none.
Private health insurance is available in the UK though, where if you want the service that you describe then you can pay more for it. Americans don't have that option so they either pay 3 times more for healthcare or you have none.

By supply I mean in regards to the particular services offered by the public health provider, not the market in general.

Also is that "3 times" figure pre-Medicare?
Reply 13
Original post by otester
By supply I mean in regards to the particular services offered by the public health provider, not the market in general.

Also is that "3 times" figure pre-Medicare?

No, but the USA has spent more per head on healthcare than the UK since the NHS was formed.

As we see throughout the civilised world, when healthcare is paid for by everyone and is free at the point of use, it is cheaper per head than as fully private healthcare system paid for by individual health insurance.

The USA doesn't have a public health provider so your comparison doesn't work. Even with a nationalised health service in the UK, we have more of choice for the public by allowing them to choose between the NHS or private healthcare.
Reply 14
Bump, seeing as the OP has not been addressed as of yet.
Privatizing health care only benefits the ruling class. It may be great in the short term but like the majority of dominantly Conservative privatizations things get a lot more expensive in the long run.

So lets name some.

*Railways.
*Water Companies.
*Gas Companies.
*Electricity Companies.
*Housing.

The other thing is the cost of private health care paid for by the Government is largely hidden from the general public because it is on the Chancellors books and can be made to look different when each budget is published each year.
This enables Governments who favor privatization (the Tories) to mislead the public and hide the true cost of private health care.

There is a option for private health care in this country. It is called BUPA.

The NHS is currently being under funded on purpose and the majority of non-Tory voters know this.

If your a Tory we aren't going to make your job any easier to try and mislead the public.
Reply 16
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Privatizing health care only benefits the ruling class. It may be great in the short term but like the majority of dominantly Conservative privatizations things get a lot more expensive in the long run.

So lets name some.

*Railways.
*Water Companies.
*Gas Companies.
*Electricity Companies.
*Housing.

The other thing is the cost of private health care paid for by the Government is largely hidden from the general public because it is on the Chancellors books and can be made to look different when each budget is published each year.
This enables Governments who favor privatization (the Tories) to mislead the public and hide the true cost of private health care.

There is a option for private health care in this country. It is called BUPA.

The NHS is currently being under funded on purpose and the majority of non-Tory voters know this.

If your a Tory we aren't going to make your job any easier to try and mislead the public.

However, the only government to actualy cut the health budget in the UK is the Welsh Labour-led government.

The tories haven't once cut the NHS budget in England and were the only party in the GE to actually promise the £12bn that an independant commission stated that the NHS needed.

The fact that costs are rising and that our hospitals are running at capacity is reason enough to reform the NHS, so I'm not completely opposed to what Hunt is doing (although I disagree with him massively on several other issues). I'm not even opposed to a nationalised health service, but if a private health service could be cheaper, guarantee good quality care and still be free at the point of use, then why not go for it? Otherwise, you're just being left wing for the sake of being left wing.

I was asking for the good points of a private health service, and suggestions as to how to reform the health service, just because you're deluded enough to think it's all going fine doesn't mean that I'm trying to mislead anyone.
However, the only government to actualy cut the health budget in the UK is the Welsh Labour-led government.

The tories haven't once cut the NHS budget in England and were the only party in the GE to actually promise the £12bn that an independant commission stated that the NHS needed.

The fact that costs are rising and that our hospitals are running at capacity is reason enough to reform the NHS, so I'm not completely opposed to what Hunt is doing (although I disagree with him massively on several other issues). I'm not even opposed to a nationalised health service, but if a private health service could be cheaper, guarantee good quality care and still be free at the point of use, then why not go for it? Otherwise, you're just being left wing for the sake of being left wing.

I was asking for the good points of a private health service, and suggestions as to how to reform the health service, just because you're deluded enough to think it's all going fine doesn't mean that I'm trying to mislead anyone.

Private health care isn't cheaper in the long run so its pointless discussing the subject.
Reply 18
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Private health care isn't cheaper in the long run so its pointless discussing the subject.

Most of Europe have private healthcare services.
Might be beneficial for the economy right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending