The Student Room Group

Rejecting offer this year, reapply to better universities?

Scroll to see replies

If you really don't want to go and you're prepared to risk not getting in next year...go for it. You might free up a space for someone who actually wants to go this year.

I'd just like to know why you applied to this uni in the first place?
Yes definitely
Your grades arent the greatest there is and honestly I wouldnt recommend taking a gap year and declining your offer, as medical school is very competitive for most people they dont care where the hell they go as long as they get in, It would help alot more if you had provided what 'uni' you're talking about but overall no university is bad for medicine as any university that can teach the level for medicine is a good university.
You will most likely be putting yourself at a very big risk here by declinining the condition.

I hope you make the decision that suits you the best, I would speak to your family members/Medical students you know about it.
Good luck :smile:
The fact that you keep banging on about wanting to go to a 'top' university makes you look like an ill informed applicant. In general university life really won't vary much between universities, only the geography will. You will still have an amazing time wherever you go because the will be like minded people who also want to have a good time. The fact that a lot of medics work hard, play hard is universal and you will find people like this at every med school. And as it has been repeatedly pointed out it really doesn't matter where you get your medical degree comes from.

What is the answer you really wanted? The majority of people will never tell you to reject a medicine offer. Its a pretty daft thing to do. Yes there will be anecdotes of people who have done it, but that doesn't make it a good idea. And you're never really going to know if you will have a better time at one university than another because you will only go to the one. But if you really can't stomach the idea of living somewhere for 5 years than consider reapplying. But bear in mind, there will be a lot of moving about, particularly for the competitive specialities, and you won't always like where you end up.
Reply 64
Original post by ForestCat
The fact that you keep banging on about wanting to go to a 'top' university makes you look like an ill informed applicant. In general university life really won't vary much between universities, only the geography will. You will still have an amazing time wherever you go because the will be like minded people who also want to have a good time. The fact that a lot of medics work hard, play hard is universal and you will find people like this at every med school. And as it has been repeatedly pointed out it really doesn't matter where you get your medical degree comes from.

What is the answer you really wanted? The majority of people will never tell you to reject a medicine offer. Its a pretty daft thing to do. Yes there will be anecdotes of people who have done it, but that doesn't make it a good idea. And you're never really going to know if you will have a better time at one university than another because you will only go to the one. But if you really can't stomach the idea of living somewhere for 5 years than consider reapplying. But bear in mind, there will be a lot of moving about, particularly for the competitive specialities, and you won't always like where you end up.

I only used top universities because generally top universities are centred in the bigger cities and better locations which are more popular. I never meant so much the actual reputation, also the top universities generally have a course which is more suited to me in comparison to this one.
Original post by Squishy®
It matters to me whether I enjoy my 5 years in a university and area I like with people I get on with or not.

What has that got to do with the reputation of the uni?
Reply 66
Original post by Twinpeaks
What has that got to do with the reputation of the uni?

Omg I meant top because top universities are in London and big cities n I like that area and most of the course structures.
I only used top universities because generally top universities are centred in the bigger cities and better locations which are more popular. I never meant so much the actual reputation, also the top universities generally have a course which is more suited to me in comparison to this one.

Just say that you want a city and a traditional style course, or one with a pre-clinical/clinical split, haha! I just wanted to add that the girl I spoke about is insanely smart (13A*s, A*s at A2 kind) and yes I know that won't instantly make you a good doctor, but her chances of getting in were pretty high.
Reply 68
Original post by TempoAccount
Your grades arent the greatest there is and honestly I wouldnt recommend taking a gap year and declining your offer, as medical school is very competitive for most people they dont care where the hell they go as long as they get in, It would help alot more if you had provided what 'uni' you're talking about but overall no university is bad for medicine as any university that can teach the level for medicine is a good university.
You will most likely be putting yourself at a very big risk here by declinining the condition.

I hope you make the decision that suits you the best, I would speak to your family members/Medical students you know about it.
Good luck :smile:

How come you said my grades aren't the best? How do u know my grades??
I mean they are good enough I think and they aren't a barrier to me getting into medicine, I managed to get 3 this year and my grades helped me out to be honest. That's what gives me the confidence to reapply.
Thanks for ur help
If I were you I'd take the offer. Places for medicine are hard to come by and one bad day sitting the BMAT and/or UKCAT next year will hamper your chances of getting into 'prestigious' medical schools (whatever that means).
Reply 70
Original post by ah639
If I were you I'd take the offer. Places for medicine are hard to come by and one bad day sitting the BMAT and/or UKCAT next year will hamper your chances of getting into 'prestigious' medical schools (whatever that means).

I never said prestigious medical school
Reply 71
Take the gap year. More places for people that actually want to go there.
Reply 72
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Just say that you want a city and a traditional style course, or one with a pre-clinical/clinical split, haha! I just wanted to add that the girl I spoke about is insanely smart (13A*s, A*s at A2 kind) and yes I know that won't instantly make you a good doctor, but her chances of getting in were pretty high.

How come you and others are implying I don't have good grades?
i have good enough grades to get three offers thankfully, i don't think they would give me them only based on personal statement and I did well in my entry tests so I'm confident on my stats.
I never said prestigious medical school

You said in your original post:

do u think it's worth reapplying to better universities

At the end of the day, no matter which medical school you go to, you will become a doctor. I, and quite a few others have recommended that you take the offer you hold.

But I think you've already made up your mind, as you consistently rebut such advice.
Reply 74
Original post by ah639
You said in your original post:

do u think it's worth reapplying to better universities

At the end of the day, no matter which medical school you go to, you will become a doctor. I, and quite a few others have recommended that you take the offer you hold.

But I think you've already made up your mind, as you consistently rebut such advice.

Only because such advice is given on the assumption that by better universities I referred to their rank.
As I've explained 100 times already a better university is one with a better area and a course structure better suited to me.
Reply 75
Just give up the space to someone who WANTS omg.

You clearly know what you want to do so why ask and argue with other people, is it fun?
(edited 8 years ago)
Only because such advice is given on the assumption that by better universities I referred to their rank.
As I've explained 100 times already a better university is one with a better area and a course structure better suited to me.

then go withdraw right now

nothing stopping you

stop moaning on here

TBF you did mention Imperial, Oxford amd UCL.

It's your choice and only a decision you cna make. You have to live with the outcome of getting into a place youd prefer or not getting in at all.

The post wayback was sensible about waiting for your results. They will be able to fill your place easily if you decline. Find out why you failed to get into UCL and dont forget it will still be intensely competitive to get a place.

In order to do well on your course, you need to be happy wherever you study, so do whatever makes you happy. If it's reapplying to the top London universities, then do it. It will, at least, give you peace of mind that you did try, even if you don't get an offer. I assume you will have backup institutions just in case you don't get into them.

Some years ago, I knew someone who had an offer from a medical school he didn't rank too high and he didn't like the area etc. So, after his A-levels he reapplied and did manage to get into a university he was much happier with. Applying 2nd time has the advantage of having your grades under your belt - so the universitiy *know* you have the entry requirements and can give you an unconditional offer. Other applicants may still be doing their A Levels, so their offers would be conditional.

Don't quote me on this as I was told some time ago, so check it out first - but as Medicine is a Pass or Fail course (rather than 1st, 2.1... etc.) then rankings about where you come in the medical year at your chosen university can matter far more (when applying for F1 and F2, the university qualified from is anonymous, I think - or at least, it was. So, it's just where you came in the year at your medical school). Your ranking result (compared to others on the cohort where you qualify) has some significance when it comes to applying for your F1 and F2 years, as I understand it. I know of medics who graduated from universities outside London to end up with jobs in London hospitals because they were high up on the rankings of their University...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Juxtapose
In order to do well on your course, you need to be happy wherever you study, so do whatever makes you happy. If it's reapplying to the top London universities, then do it. It will, at least, give you peace of mind that you did try, even if you don't get an offer. I assume you will have backup institutions just in case you don't get into them.

Some years ago, I knew someone who had an offer from a medical school he didn't rank too high and he didn't like the area etc. So, after his A-levels he reapplied and did manage to get into a university he was much happier with. Applying 2nd time has the advantage of having your grades under your belt - so the universitiy *know* you have the entry requirements and can give you an unconditional offer. Other applicants may still be doing their A Levels, so their offers would be conditional.

Don't quote me on this as I was told some time ago, so check it out first - but as Medicine is a Pass or Fail course (rather than 1st, 2.1... etc.) then rankings about where you come in the medical year at your chosen university can matter far more (when applyng for F1 and F2, the university qualified from is anonymous, I think - or at least, it was. So, it's just where you came in the year at your medical school). Your ranking result (compared to others on the cohort where you qualify) has some significance when it comes to applying for your F1 and F2 years, as I understand it. I know of medics who graduated from universities outside London to end up with jobs in London hospitals because they were high up on the rankings of their University...

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending