The Student Room Group

KCL / UCL 2024 changing subject

i was wondering if anyone had any experience/knowledge with UCAS extra or contacting the admissions office to change subject at this time. i was rejected for Law in both these universities, but am still considering History. thank you
Original post by eev1e
i was wondering if anyone had any experience/knowledge with UCAS extra or contacting the admissions office to change subject at this time. i was rejected for Law in both these universities, but am still considering History. thank you

The later in the applications cycle you try to switch courses, the harder it is. Particularly for oversubscribed universities like UCL and KCL. Still, you can try, if History is in Extra or Clearing.

But a word of caution: If you want to do Law, go do Law elsewhere. Many students get hung up in the idea of going to a specific uni, no matter the cost, and they sacrifice their actual interests instead, usually at a great cost to your mental health and future dreams. So unless you're having a change of heart and truly want to do History now, just let it go. You'll still triumph wherever you go to uni if you put in the effort. Also note that going into Extra and Clearing is risky, since you have to reject any offers you might have already (with no guarantee that you'll secure another place...)
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
The later in the applications cycle you try to switch courses, the harder it is. Particularly for oversubscribed universities like UCL and KCL. Still, you can try, if History is in Extra or Clearing.
But a word of caution: If you want to do Law, go do Law elsewhere. Many students get hung up in the idea of going to a specific uni, no matter the cost, and they sacrifice their actual interests instead, usually at a great cost to your mental health and future dreams. So unless you're having a change of heart and truly want to do History now, just let it go. You'll still triumph wherever you go to uni if you put in the effort. Also note that going into Extra and Clearing is risky, since you have to reject any offers you might have already (with no guarantee that you'll secure another place...)

thank you for your response. this is more a change of heart, and the other option is to reapply next year anyway so i think there is no harm done in applying for UCAS Extra. i’m just waiting for admissions to open to inquire if they have any vacancies, and to hear back from LSE 😅
If you have already been rejected, you can't ask for a course switch. You can ask if they would accept an application for another course through Extra - but for that you would have to give up all/any offers or remaining choices - very risky.

A better idea if you have now changed your mind is to plan a gap year, go to new Open Days and reapply in the autumn for the subject you do actually want to do. Anything you manage to get now in Extra or in Clearing is going to be a compromise and/or a scramble - and you wont have guaranteed accommodation.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
If you have already been rejected, you can't ask for a course switch. You can ask if they would accept an application for another course through Extra - but for that you would have to give up all/any offers or remaining choices - very risky.
A better idea if you have now changed your mind is to plan a gap year, go to new Open Days and reapply in the autumn for the subject you do actually want to do. Anything you manage to get now in Extra or in Clearing is going to be a compromise and/or a scramble - and you wont have guaranteed accommodation.

i’m not asking to change courses i’m asking to apply to a different course, i don’t need accommodation and i have no other offers i will accept from other universities that will be sacrificed in this process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending