The Student Room Group

What made you choose your engineering discipline?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bigboateng_
Last option is to just get masters and get a 9-5 job using microsoft excel like every other engineer in uk:tongue:

Excel is just a platform for performing calculations, but if you can make use of the various logical functions you can do some pretty interesting things with it, and even more so if you can program using VB.

Original post by banterboy
Computer science is often considered part of engineering (i think it is much closer to philosophy and and maths) and i am considering studying a masters in it after my philosophy degree since i find logic interesting.

I would agree that computer science is much more maths than engineering. When computer science gets applied to create real, usable computer programs, doesn't it get called "software engineering"?
Original post by Smack
Excel is just a platform for performing calculations, but if you can make use of the various logical functions you can do some pretty interesting things with it, and even more so if you can program using VB.

I would agree that computer science is much more maths than engineering. When computer science gets applied to create real, usable computer programs, doesn't it get called "software engineering"?

i think so, i'm only just learning about it by learn the python language but building rules one string after another to create a program seems more logicky than engineering based to me. I guess they get lumped into engineering departments because they in the same department as software engineering and they have to go somewhere.
Original post by Student403
You know it's rough when 15/140 is considered a lot! But that's pretty good actually - I wonder what it's like in the US! I'll let you know when I get there :ahee:

Haha yeah I know what you mean!! And cool! Keep me posted about its all going for you! :smile:
Original post by banterboy
i think so, i'm only just learning about it by learn the python language but building rules one string after another to create a program seems more logicky than engineering based to me. I guess they get lumped into engineering departments because they in the same department as software engineering and they have to go somewhere.

I think it must depend on the university - at mine the computer science department was separate from the engineering one.
Petroleum for the money
I'm likely going to end up doing a Masters in Software Engineering, if that counts. I'm interested in hearing from anyone else who's doing that now or planning to later.
Original post by Amellia123
Haha yeah I know what you mean!! And cool! Keep me posted about its all going for you! :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: Keep me posted too ^_^
Thank you :biggrin: Keep me posted too ^_^

Haha I will do! Have you heard back from any of the unis yet? :biggrin:
Original post by Amellia123
Haha I will do! Have you heard back from any of the unis yet? :biggrin:

Not since Feb :smile:
Not since Feb :smile:

Ahh I see - I hope you hear from them soon! Who had accepted you so far? :smile:
Reply 30
I've just accepted an offer to Edinburgh for Civil Engineering, very excited but I've been filling in lots of forms for bursaries and whatnot and actually answering the question "Why Civil Engineering?" has proven very difficult. Especially as "Cause it seems pretty interesting and the money's good" is not a very professional answer
Anyone else having this trouble or doing engineering in Edinburgh at all?
Original post by Smack
What made you choose your engineering discipline?

I don't even know why I chose my Engineering discipline. I chose it because I was passionate about Biosciences. My personal statement was based purely on Biosciences and it doesn't even display a speck of general passion for Engineering. I don't even know how my university could accept me into this course with such a poor personal statement. I guess I just chose the course so I can get into a highly ranked university (top 5 in the world) but now I realise that it is the worst decision I have made in my life.

And if you are already under way with your degree, or already graduated, are you content with your choice?

Hell no. I wish I got rejected by my current university so I could be studying something that I would be truly passionate about and dedicate my life to. My Engineering discipline doesn't interest me one bit and I don't think any Engineering discipline would. In my opinion Engineering is highly rewarding but insanely boring & punishing.

And what do you like most about your discipline?

There is a Maths module that I find interesting as well as a Bioscience module which has lab practicals which I enjoy. Other than that the rest is utter crap. They have content that I would never want to study in a million years and my course overall is boring as hell. A day never passes without me ruing the day I made the decision to study this course and I would never recommend this course to anyone.

The advice I would give to prospective university students is make sure you read around & about the course you are applying to and think carefully on whether it is something you would want to study. Don't choose a course for the sake of getting into a highly ranked university because the last thing you want is to study something that you don't like and fail.
(edited 8 years ago)
Civil engineering excites me too! but the accommodation is so much cheaper for the uni which i applied to do mechanical at. painful
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
I don't even know why I chose my Engineering discipline. I chose it because I was passionate about Biosciences. My personal statement was based purely on Biosciences and it doesn't even display a speck of general passion for Engineering. I don't even know how my university could accept me into this course with such a poor personal statement. I guess I just chose the course so I can get into a highly ranked university (top 5 in the world) but now I realise that it is the worst decision I have made in my life.

Hell no. I wish I got rejected by my current university so I could be studying something that I would be truly passionate about and dedicate my life to. My Engineering discipline doesn't interest me one bit and I don't think any Engineering discipline would. In my opinion Engineering is highly rewarding but insanely boring & punishing.

There is a Maths module that I find interesting as well as a Bioscience module which has lab practicals which I enjoy. Other than that the rest is utter crap. They have content that I would never want to study in a million years and my course overall is boring as hell. A day never passes without me ruing the day I made the decision to study this course and I would never recommend this course to anyone.

The advice I would give to prospective university students is make sure you read around & about the course you are applying to and think carefully on whether it is something you would want to study. Don't choose a course for the sake of getting into a highly ranked university because the last thing you want is to study something that you don't like and fail.

UCL?
Original post by fei345
Civil engineering excites me too! but the accommodation is so much cheaper for the uni which i applied to do mechanical at. painful

Can you maybe switch disciplines once you're there?
Original post by Smack
Can you maybe switch disciplines once you're there?

I'll try out mechanical for first year, if i enjoy it, i wont need to switch.
i think they have all the first year engineering courses with similar structure, so students can switch between the different courses second year.
1 word: Bionicle. Those things were my childhood, been in love with the idea of building things and knowing how they work ever since (mech eng) :biggrin:
It's really interesting hearing everyone's opinions! :smile:

The reasons for me to choose aeronautical/aerospace are endless. Whilst the degree is primarily focused on aircraft, the thought of working in the space industry is far too exciting and tempting. I could potentially work on something which actually leaves this planet - I have always been fascinated by that concept. Then when I found out I could work on research into rocket engines, safe to say I knew then that I was very content with my course choice. :smile:

Other than aerospace, I've got to say I've always found software engineering so interesting. I love programming, so it has to be my second love.

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Do they really let you master in cs after you get a philosophy degree? 1- wtf 2- computer science is far from philosophy, they have nothing in common, logic seen in cs is not the same as philosophy's logic. I would computer science is closer to math and physics but not even close of any humanities studies

Quick Reply

Latest