The Student Room Group

Article: Getting a job at 16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rp123education
I'm sorry it just really annoys me when people walk into their jobs because of a family member/friend recommended them.

Yes, some of these people deserve it, but what about all the people that don't have connections and find it really hard to get a job - so unfair.

Life is unfair :mad:

i have the exact same problem, all my friends have got their jobs through connections and I'm still sat applying for tons of jobs and getting declined everywhere. it sucks :frown:
Original post by chloegreen
i have the exact same problem, all my friends have got their jobs through connections and I'm still sat applying for tons of jobs and getting declined everywhere. it sucks :frown:

I feel you dude :frown:

I'm putting job searching on the back-burner till next summer now. Off to uni in two weeks and thinking it will be a bit chaotic. Would be nice to have some extra pocket money tho....
Original post by MathsWhizZz
Thanks I might go there now. Do you have to have experience before you go there? Can i go there for my first job? Just a weekend thing. :smile:

I feel like this is a really old thread... but they offer zero-hour contracts, therefore its flexible, and yeah, they took me on when I had no experience at all.
Can you apply for a job just months before you actually turn 16?
Original post by greysmilexx
Can you apply for a job just months before you actually turn 16?

It's probably best not too, because you won't be able to start until you turn 16.
Original post by itssammorgan
It's probably best not too, because you won't be able to start until you turn 16.

that's really annoying because i turn 16 right after the summer ends :frown:
I feel like employers are declining me because i've achieved high grades in my GCSEs, i've applied for over 20 jobs in retail and everywhere has declined me :frown: i applied for a job in primark as a last resort knowing they are hiring anybody for the christmas period and i have a few friends working there yet i get declined again? can my grades be a put off? thanks in advance to anybody who might be able to help me
Original post by chloegreen01
I feel like employers are declining me because i've achieved high grades in my GCSEs, i've applied for over 20 jobs in retail and everywhere has declined me :frown: i applied for a job in primark as a last resort knowing they are hiring anybody for the christmas period and i have a few friends working there yet i get declined again? can my grades be a put off? thanks in advance to anybody who might be able to help me

Sometimes it might feel that way, im not too sure if that is a valid reason not to give someone a job, or at least an interview though. Have you tried Sports Direct?
Sometimes it might feel that way, im not too sure if that is a valid reason not to give someone a job, or at least an interview though. Have you tried Sports Direct?

i haven't tried there yet but i will, it's worth a shot
This isn't really a "proper job" but babysitting is a really good way to get some money - find out what the usual hourly rate is in your area of town and charge that. Plus you get some experience in how to work with kids :smile:
Original post by TheSmartScouser
A good one for UK college students is Sports Direct but they can be a pain sometimes.

Are they flexible with working hours? I'm looking for some form of employment, but I'm limited to weekends because I'm on a full time college course. Any ideas?
Original post by chloegreen01

I can't think why high grades would be off-putting for an employer :P
Original post by Cari98
I've been actively looking for a part time job for months and months (applying online, handing in CV's etc) My best friend said she 'didn't need the money' and stayed in and sat on her bum all day, and all of a sudden her uncle's given her a job that'll see her rack up £800 by the end of summer!

I don't have any contacts like that so I just have to keep doing things the old fashioned way, and it really sucks.

Agh, that really sucks. I can't find anything either. Mind you, i've only just started to look. I hope you find a job you'll enjoy soon :smile:
I want to save up some money, so I need a part time job. I'm limited to weekends, because I'm on full time course in college. I just want a easy job that can get in and do without any fuss. I'm 16, I assume that's a limiting factor. Can anyone help?
Original post by Lord Potato VII
I want to save up some money, so I need a part time job. I'm limited to weekends, because I'm on full time course in college. I just want a easy job that can get in and do without any fuss. I'm 16, I assume that's a limiting factor. Can anyone help?

Go for a part time job that has contracted weekend hours or instead, a zero hour contract which could be McDonald's or Sports Direct for example.
It's hard to find a job as very few places have vacancies especially for people at 16 or round about that age
Original post by studyspuddie
It's hard to find a job as very few places have vacancies especially for people at 16 or round about that age

No its not. You just need to look for jobs when there's actually vacancies, ie, just before summer and Christmas.
No its not. You just need to look for jobs when there's actually vacancies, ie, just before summer and Christmas.

but if you want an after school job i is as i finish school at 3:10 and most places finish at 5:00 so there aren't many places that will take on someone still at school
Original post by studyspuddie
but if you want an after school job i is as i finish school at 3:10 and most places finish at 5:00 so there aren't many places that will take on someone still at school

Again. You're wrong. Yes, some places close at 5pm. But the majority of places close at 8pm-10pm, such as shops and supermarkets.
Again. You're wrong. Yes, some places close at 5pm. But the majority of places close at 8pm-10pm, such as shops and supermarkets.

Yes but supermarkets such as asda and tesco dont offer jobs for 16years olds do they

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending