The Student Room Group

Taught not to use gas when moving off

Hi guys. I'm about to hit 9th lesson with my driving instructor. He is okay to be honest (teaches me well) However, one simple thing is always in my mind... He taught me not to use gas when moving off.... I did the bay parking without any gas etc... I am just getting worried about my skills as my dad has citroen ds5 and you need to use gas in order to move away (also the clutch seems to be bouncy??? So would I say it’s hard to find the biting point)... I am scared of doing all of the maneuvers after the exam cause I’m not sure if I can only use the clutch in a petrol car (if not can you use the clutch only to prefor maneuvers) Thanks should I change him or what?
Reply 1
Is your learner car a diesel? If so then yes, you will need to learn to use gas when moving off if youre going to be using a petrol car after. I had this same problem because I was taught to move just using the clutch in my diesel learner car but when i bought a petrol car it stalled every time doing this.
I don't understand how you can pull off without using the gas?

Fair enough you can move slightly whilst lifting your clutch up but not for long before you have to give it a little bit of gas.

I was always taught to find your biting point on the clutch then gas and away you go.

Maybe I read it wrong but I think you should change him..........
Reeeeyah Y I get the biting point then i use the gas (cause i do not want to move so slowly xd) I am just worried about the maneuvers after the exam in my petrol car....
Original post by Reeeeyah
I don't understand how you can pull off without using the gas?

Fair enough you can move slightly whilst lifting your clutch up but not for long before you have to give it a little bit of gas.

I was always taught to find your biting point on the clutch then gas and away you go.

Maybe I read it wrong but I think you should change him..........

Reeeeyah Y I get the biting point then i use the gas (cause i do not want to move so slowly xd) I am just worried about the maneuvers after the exam in my petrol car....
Ignore the ****er and use the gas pedal lool
Reply 6
It really does depend on the vehicle. Very often with diesel cars it is possible to feed in the clutch on tickover and it will just pick up. Try doing that on many petrol cars and they wont have it and will just stall or kangaroo.

One of my viehicles is a 2 litre diesel and it has an automatic system whereby when im moving off, i dont have to gas it as the control systems automatically lift it slightly off tickover as i let the clutch up..very usefull,,but then even if that didnt happen,(and i can switch it off) its gutsy enough to pull from tickover anyway.

So to summarise, its different for every vehicle.
Reply 7
What the hell, you need the clutch and gas to go anywhere :rofl:
Reply 8
I learned in a 1.8 turbocharged diesel - that thing would fly off the mark without even touching the accelerator.

Of course, I had to learn to adapt to the very different style of driving I was faced with when I got my 1.2 petrol engined car, which requires a fairly decent push from the injector to get it going.
lol don't use gas, go 1mph for the duration of ur exam would be banter
Reply 10
You need the gas on a petrol

Posted from TSR Mobile
What the **** is a gas?

We're in the UK. It's called a ****ing accelerator.

Your engine ticks over at a certain speed anyway and that's almost certainly enough to get the car moving without any use of the accelerator pedal. He's trying to teach you how to control the clutch really well without compensating by using extra power.

That said, you're obviously going to accelerate faster if you do use the "go pedal"

Trust your driving instructor. He's your instructor for a reason.

SS
Reply 12
It all depends on the car. Even within the categories of diesel and petrol cars there's a lot of variance. Concentrate on learning to control the car you'll use to sit the test and you can get to grips with whatever car you'll be using once you've passed.

Just make sure that when you're in an unfamiliar car you use a little extra caution - give yourself more time to join busy/fast roads in case you stall.
Original post by Alexion
I learned in a 1.8 turbocharged diesel - that thing would fly off the mark without even touching the accelerator.

Of course, I had to learn to adapt to the very different style of driving I was faced with when I got my 1.2 petrol engined car, which requires a fairly decent push from the injector to get it going.

Thanks for all feedback guys:P It is a diesel car though. I've got another question to ask. When I’m reversing, I do not use ANY gas (not at all 0 xd), is this okay? Can you do that in a petrol, car or do i have to practice more after the exam?
(edited 8 years ago)
I had this exact problem but I'm used to it now in my car, it doesn't take long. I can move off at the start of a journey without gas for some reason but during a journey I need the gas - not sure why. as for reversing I don't use any gas
Reply 15
Original post by MUR12083166
Thanks for all feedback guys:P It is a diesel car though. I've got another question to ask. When I’m reversing, I do not use ANY gas (not at all 0 xd), is this okay? Can you do that in a petrol, car or do i have to practice more after the exam?

Once you get experience you'll do it quicker anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MUR12083166

You will need gas. Whether it's first or reverse, in a petrol car you're going to need to use it to move.
Reply 17
Yes my instructor told me the same as I was not doing so well before I find this much easier
Reply 18
Original post by heep
Yes my instructor told me the same as I was not doing so well before I find this much easier

You'll burn your clutch out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending