The Student Room Group

Already started uni but sfe is requesting for evidence of marital status

My partner and I had been in an on and off relationship and when I submitted my sfe application it was one of those periods when we had temporarily separated and I moved in with my Godmother. We have children together. Although my partner and I separated but I was still paying the utility (water, gas/electric, SKY tv) at the property because of the children. Sfe requested for proof of my marital status and I sent them a copy of my Decree Absolute. Prior to the current relationship I had been married before and divorced in 2018.

I contacted sfe last week and explained the situation to them that I had separated with my partner and was temporarily staying with my Godmother and they were asking for utility bills and council tax bills in my name showing my new address (Godmother's address). I do not pay for any of the utility or council tax as my Godmother pays everything. She is 75 years old and retired. Sfe insisted that they would not process the application until I have provided these.

A few days ago I moved back in with my partner as we think that the children are better of with both parents and we can work on our disagreements amicably.

I started uni this week and not sure how I am going to move forward with my course if sfe is not going to proceed with the application.

As I have now moved in again with my partner I am not sure what proof to provide to sfe so that the application can be processed. I do not even have money to get to uni next week and not sure what to do. Please advice. Thank you.
Original post by hyginusoiwuh
My partner and I had been in an on and off relationship and when I submitted my sfe application it was one of those periods when we had temporarily separated and I moved in with my Godmother. We have children together. Although my partner and I separated but I was still paying the utility (water, gas/electric, SKY tv) at the property because of the children. Sfe requested for proof of my marital status and I sent them a copy of my Decree Absolute. Prior to the current relationship I had been married before and divorced in 2018.

I contacted sfe last week and explained the situation to them that I had separated with my partner and was temporarily staying with my Godmother and they were asking for utility bills and council tax bills in my name showing my new address (Godmother's address). I do not pay for any of the utility or council tax as my Godmother pays everything. She is 75 years old and retired. Sfe insisted that they would not process the application until I have provided these.

A few days ago I moved back in with my partner as we think that the children are better of with both parents and we can work on our disagreements amicably.

I started uni this week and not sure how I am going to move forward with my course if sfe is not going to proceed with the application.

As I have now moved in again with my partner I am not sure what proof to provide to sfe so that the application can be processed. I do not even have money to get to uni next week and not sure what to do. Please advice. Thank you.

Hi there,

Assuming it's a 23/24 application that you've made, your partner should complete the PFF2 form: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1172224/sfe_pff2_form_2324_o.pdf

Now that you're living together again we can use his income to award you the correct funding, so we won't need any of the other evidence you mentioned.

The form doesn't need to be signed or dated so feel free to upload it on your account as soon as you can. We're currently processing these forms in 28 working days.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Assuming it's a 23/24 application that you've made, your partner should complete the PFF2 form: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1172224/sfe_pff2_form_2324_o.pdf

Now that you're living together again we can use his income to award you the correct funding, so we won't need any of the other evidence you mentioned.

The form doesn't need to be signed or dated so feel free to upload it on your account as soon as you can. We're currently processing these forms in 28 working days.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Hi Graeme, thanks for your response. My partner was not working until October 2022 as she was looking after the children. She started working full time from October 2022 and reduced her working hours in September 2023 to 15 hours when she started studying full time. Would her income between October 2022 to date be used to work out how much entitlement I can get?

Thanks again?
Hi Graeme, thanks for your response. My partner was not working until October 2022 as she was looking after the children. She started working full time from October 2022 and reduced her working hours in September 2023 to 15 hours when she started studying full time. Would her income between October 2022 to date be used to work out how much entitlement I can get?

Thanks again?

Hi there, Did your partner have any taxable income for the Tax Year 21-22? Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Did your partner have any taxable income for the Tax Year 21-22? Thanks, Angela

No, she did not. She was on universal credit.
No, she did not. She was on universal credit.

Hi there, Therefore she would indicate her taxable income as zero on the form. Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Therefore she would indicate her taxable income as zero on the form. Thanks, Angela

Thank you.
Thank you.

You're welcome, have a lovely day! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending